The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a diabetic for over 4 years. I have lost a lot of weight and managed to pretty much get my bgs close to normal most of the time. In the last 4 years I haven't been shopping much except for new jeans or exercise clothes. Well my daughter ( my baby) is graduating from college this weekend, so I decided to treat myself to buy a new dress. I went to Dress Barn and had a ball trying on dresses. I didn't even recognise myself in the mirror, I am a totally different person. I hate having diabetes but if I had never been dx'd I would never have pushed myself to give up carbs. The smallest size they had was size 4 and some of the dresses were too big. I actually had problems finding styles small enough. It is nice to have a few things that actually fit me and show off my flat tummy. It has been a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it. Sometimes Diabetes gives us the motivaion to do things we wouldn't normally do.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congrats Jeanne! It's so well-deserved, and so important to see the lemonade in the lemon that is diabetes.

Well-done!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Congratulations on having excellent control. Shopping used to be fun for me too, but my control is not yet at the place it needs to be. Have a great time at the graduation.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What a great post... Now thats what's worth the sacrifice... Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

bugg:D being sweet ain't all bad

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started my weight loss 6 years before I got diabetes. So it has been a very long process. I can't count the times my weight loss stopped or I even gained weight. Even though I gained a few pounds over the winter from lack of exercise, I am still able to fit into a smaller size. It's weird, I gained weight with all my pregnancies ( 6) and just didn't take it off. When I turned 50, I was pushing the scale at 200 in a size 16. When I look in the mirror, I still don't see a skinny person. But I think trying on clothes and seeing how well they fit with no bulges is what it really took to hit me. I also got my hair cut very short and decided to let my natural gray grow in. So although I am still very much diabetic, I don't feel that way. So for all those who are just newly dx'd, this is possilbe.

G

·
I started my weight loss 6 years before I got diabetes. So it has been a very long process. I can't count the times my weight loss stopped or I even gained weight. Even though I gained a few pounds over the winter from lack of exercise, I am still able to fit into a smaller size. It's weird, I gained weight with all my pregnancies ( 6) and just didn't take it off. When I turned 50, I was pushing the scale at 200 in a size 16. When I look in the mirror, I still don't see a skinny person. But I think trying on clothes and seeing how well they fit with no bulges is what it really took to hit me. I also got my hair cut very short and decided to let my natural gray grow in. So although I am still very much diabetic, I don't feel that way. So for all those who are just newly dx'd, this is possilbe.
The one thing I like about US sizing is that I was the next size down. lol. It's certainly hard work losing weight (I've done it too)... and I think the slow way is the best. I could do with losing more weight, but my doc & endo are pretty happy that I've not been gaining weight. I've actually not gained any weight either since been placed on insulin. I should add that I don't think I'll ever be extremely thin... I was told both my father and grandmother were large people. I'm still the biggest lady in my family (my mothers side... I don't really know my fathers side) ... but all the other ladies are short and slightly built... my genes aren't quite the same. I think it's about being happy with who you are too and not obsessing too much... just try and stay healthy. I think you've done extremely well Jeanne :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats!
When I started on insulin a year ago it made me blow up like a balloon. All the docs said it was a normal side effect but it has had me freaking out especially since now I cant wear Any of my clothes but I'm working on it and am finally seeing a few lbs dropping off. Can't wait to get back into my size 6's.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats!
When I started on insulin a year ago it made me blow up like a balloon. All the docs said it was a normal side effect but it has had me freaking out especially since now I cant wear Any of my clothes but I'm working on it and am finally seeing a few lbs dropping off. Can't wait to get back into my size 6's.
Although it may be a side effect it doesn't have to be that way. I think that is where Dr Bernstein's diet comes in. If you haven't read his book, do so, it is worth it. I remember when I got married in 1977, I was 110 pounds and wore a size 10. Now I am 118 and wear a size 4. So our sizes have changed. I think retailers did this to fool women into thinking they were smaller than they really were.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congrats Jeanne! It's so well-deserved, and so important to see the lemonade in the lemon that is diabetes.

Well-done!
Won't that lemonade send us through the roof? ;)

Aimster1Mo - It is important to control the amount of carbs and insulin we consume in order to conrtol our weight. It is just as important for diabetics on insulin to control their disease using a low-carb diet. Injecting too much insulin will make us gain weight. Even in the short term, I had more carbs than normal last week and I gained 3 pounds in 4 days. I cut back on the carbs and I lost it all again. I would suggest you look at the amount of carbs you're eating and the amount of insulin you're injecting and drastically cut it, if possible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm doing that now thanks to this forum and contribute the turn around to it. The fast acting insulin can still be tricky for me but I'm down to 2 shots a day with that sometimes only 1.
You guys are invaluable!:wave:

Won't that lemonade send us through the roof? ;)

Aimster1Mo - It is important to control the amount of carbs and insulin we consume in order to conrtol our weight. It is just as important for diabetics on insulin to control their disease using a low-carb diet. Injecting too much insulin will make us gain weight. Even in the short term, I had more carbs than normal last week and I gained 3 pounds in 4 days. I cut back on the carbs and I lost it all again. I would suggest you look at the amount of carbs you're eating and the amount of insulin you're injecting and drastically cut it, if possible.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Good on ya, Jen & Aimster1mo!

Amazing, what our condition can push us to do. (I'll have my lemonade with stevia, thank you!)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good on ya, Jen & Aimster1mo!

Amazing, what our condition can push us to do. (I'll have my lemonade with stevia, thank you!)
I have not really experiemented with the sugar substitute stuff yet. I've been diabetic for almost a year and I haven't made any special lemonade. Since it is summer time, I might have to start working on that.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I have not really experiemented with the sugar substitute stuff yet. I've been diabetic for almost a year and I haven't made any special lemonade. Since it is summer time, I might have to start working on that.
I actually prefer lo han to stevia, but that's much more expensive and harder to find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts