The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a peanut butter sandwich and one Weight Watcher Latte bar. I really wasn't very hungry. (thanx metformin)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hubby works nights so it's just me and my puppy.. we had cheeseburgers without buns, fried zuchini, and pumpkin "pie" is in the oven now (no crust, fake sugar) - will have whipped real cream on top. :) But puppy only gets a one ounce cheeseburger and a bit of raw zuchini.

·
Registered
298 Posts
We had grilled salmon and broccoli

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a largish meal for me these days of beef bourginon, celeriac, runner beans and sweet potato. I thought that I'd eaten too much in general and of the sweet potato in particular and expected to go high. However, I got a nice surprise when I tested 90 minutes after finishing eating (couldn't test at the one hour mark because I was driving) when my meter showed a respectable 6.2 (112). I was very happy with that!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites, and lately (since our crop came in) I've been eating tons of butternut squash too, and not suffering any spikes. There must be enough fiber in these deep orange veggies to keep us stable. It's a cinch they're loaded with beta carotene!

Viva la sweet potato! :D :D :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites, and lately (since our crop came in) I've been eating tons of butternut squash too, and not suffering any spikes. There must be enough fiber in these deep orange veggies to keep us stable. It's a cinch they're loaded with beta carotene!

Viva la sweet potato! :D :D :D
We've been eating a lot of winter squash lately too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a great Taco salad...no chips. Wife made it low carb :)

....and a slice of low carb homemade cheesecake...made with splenda.

Great day !! No bathroom issues with metformin today, woke up at 182, couple hours later 155, around 4pm 124, and 1 1/2 hrs after my supper...140.

As a newbie, only on my 3rd day of metformin, and 3rd day lo-carb, I am pretty excited...even did 15 min on treadmill yesterday and today...and I've lost 4 lbs.

Sorry for pulling out the "pom-poms"...but it WAS a good day !! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Babyback ribs, sauce on the side....salad...and substituted broccoli for the fries. yummo! Dog enjoyed a few rib bones when we got home :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had cheese peanut butter crackers and a diet jello pudding cup. I was not hungry all day and I finally forced myself to eat what I did. I am having appetite issues and I will blame them on the Metformin.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I had a great Taco salad...no chips. Wife made it low carb :)

....and a slice of low carb homemade cheesecake...made with splenda.

Great day !! No bathroom issues with metformin today, woke up at 182, couple hours later 155, around 4pm 124, and 1 1/2 hrs after my supper...140.

As a newbie, only on my 3rd day of metformin, and 3rd day lo-carb, I am pretty excited...even did 15 min on treadmill yesterday and today...and I've lost 4 lbs.

Sorry for pulling out the "pom-poms"...but it WAS a good day !! :D
No need to apologize. CONGRATULATIONS!! It will only get better from here.

As for me, I had two all-beef hotdogs, a yogurt, milk and celery with peanut butter for dinner. I was really hungry today for some reason. I ran high all day, 107 FBS, 112 after breakfast (I ate the same thing I do everyday ????!!!!), 121 after lunch. I was expecting a high number after dinner as it seems to run that way for me but it was 72. A very interesting day indeed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
.............Great day !! No bathroom issues with metformin today, woke up at 182, couple hours later 155, around 4pm 124, and 1 1/2 hrs after my supper...140.

As a newbie, only on my 3rd day of metformin, and 3rd day lo-carb, I am pretty excited...even did 15 min on treadmill yesterday and today...and I've lost 4 lbs.........................
Hi again Orio,

In my experience and that of many other Type 2s, the improvements do come very quickly indeed once you get to understand the message about the dangers of the carbohydrate foods - in particular the starchy carbs - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pizz, pasta, rice etc.

Keep on going - you are quickly on track - you certainly sound to have understood the messages! It took me eight years to get the message - I've no idea as to what damage that I might have caused my body in that time.

Good luck and best wishes - John

·
Registered
204 Posts
We were at the theatre last night so we ate a restaurant meal. It was my favourite low carb restaurant meal these days - 10oz gammon steak, with two eggs. Oh! I nearly forgot to say......and a few fries on the side too! Chicken pate as a starter - with a small amount of bread.

I didn't test because I didn't have my meter with me. Maybe it was a good job! ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hot wings for me last night . . . nuthin' but hot wings! Baked a big tray of chicken wings for about 1½ hours at 350° (175C) and then doused 'em with 1:1 melted butter & hot sauce. No breading on these; just delicious protein & fat! heehee! Yummmmmmmm!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Old dog learns new trick . . .
I had never heard of "gammon steak"! Now I know it's pork - more specifically, ham. Great meal, John!

We were at the theatre last night so we ate a restaurant meal. It was my favourite low carb restaurant meal these days - 10oz gammon steak, with two eggs. Oh! I nearly forgot to say......and a few fries on the side too! Chicken pate as a starter - with a small amount of bread.

I didn't test because I didn't have my meter with me. Maybe it was a good job! ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Old dog learns new trick . . .
I had never heard of "gammon steak"! Now I know it's pork - more specifically, ham. Great meal, John!
Gammon steak withe fried egg is on almost every pub menu in the UK - an easy low-carb choice especially if you decline the fries!

Alternatively, I might have ordered a beef steak as chosen by my wife. She had serrano ham and melon for starter - another good low-carb option I would have thought. However, she ain't diabetic but I've overheard her actively spreading the lower-carb way amongst all her friends. I think that I've convinced her but it wasn't easy! In fact, she ain't easy! ;)

By the way, Shanny, less of the old dog please! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh but I AM an old dog . . . and very thankful to be one - best years of my life! :D
I can't grumble myself Shanny! Life sure is good - especially when you seem in charge of your diabetic situation! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let's see...for lunch I had 2 chicken breasts and brussell sprouts. Worked until 10:30 tonight...got home and was hungry, needed a snack. Had a piece of homemade flaxseed bread with some cream cheese, and a couple cheese sticks...and I sucked down a teaspoon of peanut butter. BG was 120 today...2hrs after lunch !! :peace:

1 - 20 of 171 Posts