The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get really bored with breakfast food. Any idea's on what is low carb and not loaded with saturated fat and will fill you up?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, you know me! ;) Anything is fair game for breakfast at my house! My current favorite is my cheese crisps with dip of some kind - usually guacamole. The crisps are a lot less fatty than the original cheese, because a lot of fat renders out when they bake - I have to drain them on paper towels when they're done baking.

Sometimes I have just a plain avocado with a dash of salt; sometimes a little bowl of cottage cheese. Usually my breakfasts are fattier than you like though - bacon or sausage & eggs. 'Course my coffee mug is 16oz., so by the time I have my (heavily creamed) coffee, I'm pretty full! :p

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you know me! ;) Anything is fair game for breakfast at my house! My current favorite is my cheese crisps with dip of some kind - usually guacamole. The crisps are a lot less fatty than the original cheese, because a lot of fat renders out when they bake - I have to drain them on paper towels when they're done baking.

Sometimes I have just a plain avocado with a dash of salt; sometimes a little bowl of cottage cheese. Usually my breakfasts are fattier than you like though - bacon or sausage & eggs. 'Course my coffee mug is 16oz., so by the time I have my (heavily creamed) coffee, I'm pretty full! :p
For about 8 months, I had eggs with cheese and diced ham or bacon bits and I just couldn't stand to eat this everyday. I don't drink coffee. I like to have some carbs for breakfast. I am running out of things to eat for breakfast. Weight Watchers has some breakfast foods out that I may try. I guess it is back to the grocery store for me! BTW, I like something that is easy to make or already made for breakfast. It takes forever for me to wake up in the morning and I am not a morning person.:yawn:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I like something that is easy to make or already made for breakfast. It takes forever for me to wake up in the morning and I am not a morning person.:yawn:
Boy do I hear you! I'm a little more awake in the a.m. than my sidekick over here, but neither of us is any ball of fire. We buy several packages of link sausages & I bake them all up at once in the oven . . . then we have 'em bagged in the freezer to thaw out 2-3 at a time. Takes about 20 seconds in the micro. Can't even fry an egg in 20 seconds! I don't eat ham very often, but we buy whole hams & slice off what we need for a few days at a time & freeze the rest . . . so he has some already sliced if he decides ham's what he wants for his breakfast.

Hey - y'know what? I haven't tried 'em, but I hear people say that pancakes made with almond flour are really good . . . how would that be for you? I could try to scare up a recipe if you like. Either pancakes or muffins could be made up ahead, frozen & just warmed in the micro in the morning.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
How many carbs would be too many? I often eat a Dannon Light and fit yogurt in the mornings. they average around 15gm. I will sometimes stir in 1/2 of multigrain cheerios into it, that adds another 13gm. Satisfies my sweet tooth and gets my dairy in :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy do I hear you! I'm a little more awake in the a.m. than my sidekick over here, but neither of us is any ball of fire. We buy several packages of link sausages & I bake them all up at once in the oven . . . then we have 'em bagged in the freezer to thaw out 2-3 at a time. Takes about 20 seconds in the micro. Can't even fry an egg in 20 seconds! I don't eat ham very often, but we buy whole hams & slice off what we need for a few days at a time & freeze the rest . . . so he has some already sliced if he decides ham's what he wants for his breakfast.

Hey - y'know what? I haven't tried 'em, but I hear people say that pancakes made with almond flour are really good . . . how would that be for you? I could try to scare up a recipe if you like. Either pancakes or muffins could be made up ahead, frozen & just warmed in the micro in the morning.
Pancakes with almond flour sounds really good! If you get a chance to get the recipe, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Where do I buy almond flour? I haven't bought a bag of flour in 25 years. Hmm...Shanny, how would you like to vacation a couple of days in Ohio? I need to learn how to cook like you! :D
Now that would be fun! You'd get pretty fed up with the messes I can make with my cookin'! I think almond flour would be available at any health food store, and if there are places like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods anywhere around there, check those too.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Egg Beaters. only 1 carb and 30 calories per serving!

Carbs are the debil!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I can never find any of these flours or meals people talk about. I guess I should really go make a trip to Whole Foods...maybe they will have something like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try some of the greek yogurt. You can strain it overnight and it becomes very thick. Just add some splenda and vanilla extract. Then layer in a parfait glass with blueberry and strawberry mixture.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Try some of the greek yogurt. You can strain it overnight and it becomes very thick. Just add some splenda and vanilla extract. Then layer in a parfait glass with blueberry and strawberry mixture.
Oh that sounds good. I will have to try this. I keep hearing about Greek yogurt, its supposed to be really good, I just haven't tried it yet. Sounds better than the graham crackers and diet coke I had for breakfast!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My breakfast was a hard-cooked egg mashed with a little mayo . . . yumm!

Our DSL is still erratic, so my presence here will be erratic, until a repairman gets here to address our issues!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My breakfast choices are changed greatly since I was diagnosed 18 months ago.
At first I was eating the typical American breakfast. Some type of breakfast sandwich such as porkroll, egg, and cheese on an english muffin.

But that past few months I've given up nearly all processed foods, cooked foods, and animal products.

SO my breakfasts have changed greatly.

This is what I had today:
  • 2 medium bananas
  • 1 plum
  • 1 avocado

This is what I had yesterday:
  • 1 plum
  • 1 kiwi
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 oz walnuts

And this is what I had two days ago:
  • 1 kiwi
  • 2 oz almonds
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 large red bell pepper

And this is what I had three days ago:
  • 14 oz black beans w/
    • 1 oz chopped onions
    • 1/4 cup raw sunflower nuts
    • 2 large (11" - 12") chopped celery stalks
    • 3 jalapeno peppers
    • 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
    • tabasco
--ET

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heya folks, first post (about to go hit the intro thread as well) but this thread brought me here so here I shall post my first post!

For the last few months my wife has been on the South Beach Diet, and this has been great for me as I get 2 strips of turkey bacon and one egg over hard (or scrambled) each morning. I'm a huge meat eater so this breakfast took awhile to get old....

...and my lifelong addiction to cereal is coming back! I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this approach.. We all know that carb cereals spike sugar levels, and that different types of grains burn at different rates, causing spikes at different times. So I was wondering if one went out and bought a Rice, Wheat, Bran, Corn, and Oat cereal, most likely flakes, and mixed equal parts... would the burn level off to allow for a better bolus?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
For about 8 months, I had eggs with cheese and diced ham or bacon bits and I just couldn't stand to eat this everyday. I don't drink coffee. I like to have some carbs for breakfast. I am running out of things to eat for breakfast. Weight Watchers has some breakfast foods out that I may try. I guess it is back to the grocery store for me! BTW, I like something that is easy to make or already made for breakfast. It takes forever for me to wake up in the morning and I am not a morning person.:yawn:
I tried eating eggs for breakfast but after a fortnight I broke - just not for me! Far too much effort and I had to force them down as well, never been a great breakfast eater! Anyways from there - Fage Greek Yogurt wuth homemade fruit compotes. I make the compotes at the weekend, flavoured with cinnamon, ginger or mixed spices and sweetened with Splenda. It has proved to be a breakfast I can eat every day and actually enjoy. Needs to be authentic Greek yogurt though, as the imitation is much higher in carbs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just almond meal which is the same as almond flour..you can make it yourself in a coffee grinder from blanched almonds...it can work out a lot cheaper...and obviously you can use other nuts....I like hazelnut and almond mix for cakes and I use it to make a cheesecake crust instead of crushing biscuits

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.