The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some good snack ideas...

Ok so I am in love with this latest snack I have made and got my friends onto it as well. Its virtually carb free and low calorie... It also boosts your vegie intake :)

slice some cucumber into cracker like thickness and simply top with tomato and low fat cottage cheese. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and away you go :) if you can restrain yourself on how much cottage cheese you put on you can eat as much of this as you like and the cucumber is a perfect subsitute for a cracker so pile it up with your fav vegie toppings :)

Has anyone else got some snack ideas?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My favorite snack is 1oz sharp cheddar or colby cheese and either 28g of roasted pecans or pumpkin seeds. I'm not a snacker but will grab this snack from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
174 Posts
Deli-Sliced thin ham-I like the sqare kind-check pkg for carb count-mine is 0
Microwaved cream cheese-just until it is spreadable-2 oz.
Diced olives w/pimento
I mix the cream cheese w/olives and spread on the ham. Roll it up and munch away. If I want a bit of a crunch I add diced celery.
Makes for a very low carb snack.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I can't eat bread at all. I do now and again eat nuts out of hand or crispy pork rinds, but I'm not much of a snacker. I like slices of apple with peanut butter, but I'm too tight to waste half or more of an apple, so that's a rare treat.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did you put the pickle juice in the meter strip instead of blood? I don't think that will really work
Some people have tested soft drinks with their meter to make sure that they get a diet cola instead of a full-sugar cola.

I wanted to see if it would work and sure enough, diet Coke tested LO and regular Coke tested HI.

I've read that it doesn't work with all meters, though. This is the first time I've heard of anyone testing anything other than soft drinks.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I've just finished making my first-ever batch of chile-lime almonds which will also be my go-to snack during my Camino walk next June. They have just come out of the oven and smell and taste wonderful!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I enjoy ryevita biscuits topped with tuna or hommous (dressings/herbs added). I don't know how low carb it is (I don't count carbs) but it's satisfying. I'm dairy intolerant so use hommous instead of dairy for dips. I will often use pestos as a topping; also nut butters - almonds, cashews etc (not fond of peanut butter). I also snack on a variety of fruit. I snack on small portions of plain or herbed home made lentils too and find it doesn't spike my sugars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am a chocoholic, I admit it. When I started carb counting I was astounded by the amount of carbs in 1 small bar. But I have found my salvation in 2 products that I use as a treat here and there :)

1st one is done by "body science" who do protein shakes and weight loss shakes. Its a 40g bar you can get in 3 flavours, I go for the swiss chocolate one. It only has 2.4g of carbs.... Thats right, only 2g! And only 1.4g sugar.... And its yummy! Its high protein and low carb and really filling....

The 2nd is a sugar free chocolate bar done by a company called "sugarless" I buy this one when im having a white chocolate craving. A 30g bar has 2.4g carbs and 2.4g sugars.... Again under 3g per 30g serve! Considering a treat size freddo frog has 20g carbs and 10g sugar, I think this is a much better alternative :)

Now I know it cannot compensate for your healthier snacks of vegies but now I can indulge in a chocolate treat here and there and feel a little less guilty :)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
169 Posts
celery
cream cheese
hummus
raw almonds
walnuts
pecans
natural peanut butter (bought at farmers market)
almond butter
green tea/ small amt raw honey
water
cucumbers
tomatoes
hard cheeses, cheddar
figs, raisins in small amounts
HC eggs
deviled eggs
meat--ham, turkey,roast beef

Hmmm....guess I won't starve!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Had a craving for a peanut butter ritz type cracker. Found something out. Pork rinds go quite well with peanut butter.

Sent from my iPhone
Hmmmm

How come I Thought/Think Peanut butter was a no-no? Is peanut butter ok? I thought it was one of those things to avoid, am I mistaken?:eek:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
my snacks are nuts , popcorn and apples .

41 - 60 of 223 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.