The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote on the thread about favorite TV shows that I'd rather be reading a good book than watching the tube.

For several years, I've been reading only nonfiction. Here are some of my favorite subjects:

History
Adventure stories - ordinary people in extraordinary situations (such as plane crashes, weather disasters, mining accidents, etc.)
Medical investigations
Mountain climbing
Subject of the moment (recently, diabetes)
Exploration - such as polar environment, deep sea, and such
Historical mysteries of any kind

·
Registered
221 Posts
Anything other than diabetic literature...pure fiction, autobiographies, Reader's digest, kid' comics like TinTin, Archies, MAD,Harry Potter, Lord of the rings , science fiction about aliens, outerspace etc are also interesting. I like to watch Discovery, National Geographic, Top GEar too sometimes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
For the last few years my reading was curbed by cataracts & other issues. Tomorrow I see the optometrist to get a new prescription for reading glasses, and I'll be back buried hip-deep in PRINT, as I have been since I learned to read at age six! ;)

We subscribe to periodicals like Time magazine, National Geographic, Ode magazine & several conservation magazines, which I try to keep up with, but the one thing I've been waiting for since Christmas, is for DH to finish his book so I can start reading it . . . the David McCullough bio of Harry Truman. From there on - anything goes!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I typically like fantasy novels. Anything by Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist or Terry Goodkind are my favorites. But I enjoy many authors in that genre.

My wife is a librarian and avid book collector - she and my daughter both put me to shame in how much they read.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I typically like fantasy novels. Anything by Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist or Terry Goodkind are my favorites. But I enjoy many authors in that genre.

My wife is a librarian and avid book collector - she and my daughter both put me to shame in how much they read.
A librarian in the family! I am jealous! I am mad about fantasy fiction, comics, my only worry is what if I lose my eyes due to diabetis!:ranger:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left off a major passion - studying the American Civil War. I became fascinated with it decades ago, and my interest has never subsided.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I left off a major passion - studying the American Civil War. I became fascinated with it decades ago, and my interest has never subsided.
I think I have had enough of the Civil War..I am currently writing an essay about Grant for my Amer. History class!

Before I lost my mind and went back to school, I used to love to read fiction of all types. I love Patterson, King, I am a huge Harry Potter fan, Twilight series was pretty decent (although I didnt care for the 4th book), Sookie Stackhouse series (HBO based True Blood on them), and I even have to confess to loving most Nora Roberts books (who can resist a good mystery with lots of gratuitous sex thrown in?).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am currently reading the bible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Sharon -

Have you read Desperate Engagement by Marc Leepson? Its a vrey good book about a little known but important battle in the war, the Battle of the Monocacy, also known as the battle that saved Washington. It's about the only thing I've been able to find on that battle. I'm mostly interested because the battlefield is very close to where I live and I drive through in multiple times a month.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't be... I lose a LOT of square footage in my house to bookcases, LOL.
LOL..I myself have those in my house. Both of us are avid readers and collectors too. You will find anything under the sky here..esp kid's books like EnidBlyton(I love those), Agatha Christie, Luie L'amore,vollumes of second world war, even old war movies chronicles.:ranger:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lancer....... No I haven't read that one. Okay. Off to Amazon.com, where they greatly appreciate my business.

Pam....... You are writing about Grant? What, in particular? He is one of my favorites. It helps that he is a distant cousin.

"Grant was an outstanding military figure and the savior of the Union during the Civil War, as well as the 18th President of the United States from 1869-77. He was an author of unusual ability and his Memoirs are widely regarded as one of the great books written in the English language. He was also a complex individual with uncommon virtues." From: Ulysses S. Grant Homepage (internet site)

He failed at most that he tried but succeeded in spectacular fashion in two areas - as a military commander and in his marriage.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Lancer....... No I haven't read that one. Okay. Off to Amazon.com, where they greatly appreciate my business.

Pam....... You are writing about Grant? What, in particular? He is one of my favorites. It helps that he is a distant cousin.

"Grant was an outstanding military figure and the savior of the Union during the Civil War, as well as the 18th President of the United States from 1869-77. He was an author of unusual ability and his Memoirs are widely regarded as one of the great books written in the English language. He was also a complex individual with uncommon virtues." From: Ulysses S. Grant Homepage (internet site)

He failed at most that he tried but succeeded in spectacular fashion in two areas - as a military commander and in his marriage.
Grant is my part of a group project. We are making a blog about the Civil War. I am going to write a short essay...3-4 paragraphs..Mostly answering questions about who he was, what did he stand for...who did he report to during the war and what was his role...stuff like that. I am not going to get into the presidential stuff since that is a whole 'nother story :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i can't read :(

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grant is my part of a group project. We are making a blog about the Civil War. I am going to write a short essay...3-4 paragraphs..Mostly answering questions about who he was, what did he stand for...who did he report to during the war and what was his role...stuff like that. I am not going to get into the presidential stuff since that is a whole 'nother story :)
I agree. Grant himself was a straight arrow, but some of his underlings during his presidency were not, and that marred his record and reputation.

If I were writing a short blurb about Grant, the military leader, I'd include at least something about his relationship/friendship with William Tecumseh Sherman, who was under his command. They worked well together and respected each other greatly. Sherman once said of Grant: "I supported him when he was drunk; he supported me when I was crazy." Periodically, Grant drank to excess. Sherman had at least one episode of "nervous breakdown" that's hard to diagnose accurately. Neither really impacted the men's performance in the field, but much has been made about these alleged aberrations.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I agree. Grant himself was a straight arrow, but some of his underlings during his presidency were not, and that marred his record and reputation.

If I were writing a short blurb about Grant, the military leader, I'd include at least something about his relationship/friendship with William Tecumseh Sherman, who was under his command. They worked well together and respected each other greatly. Sherman once said of Grant: "I supported him when he was drunk; he supported me when I was crazy." Periodically, Grant drank to excess. Sherman had at least one episode of "nervous breakdown" that's hard to diagnose accurately. Neither really impacted the men's performance in the field, but much has been made about these alleged aberrations.
Interesting...I will look for info on that thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts