The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a huge 'need' for some.
what I think is ok ; egg drop soup. maybe a spring roll not egg roll.
eggfooyoung maybe.
beef & broccoli or chicken

some stir fry Tofu thing. yes I like it lol.
I thought cashew chicken but I found out they are not nuts but legumes .HUH?

It also depends on the place too. some are really bad. we have some great really upscale one s here. I just need to get on with it. then I won't want it for another year. :p

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I go for the stir fry, but tell them to hold the terri sauce, most use a lot of sugar in the terri sauce. I then use whats on the table, where i can read the bottle.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
1) ask if they offer a CHINESE menu.
2) No MSG.
3) less or no "sauce." It is n't traditional Chinese to glop up food in cornstarch-thickened goo, anyhow. At least, not Hakka.

Odds are you will get a more interesting vegetable, prepared in a far healthier way, and nicer meat too, if you order like this.

I had a cook come out of the kitchen to look at me b.c he could not believe a Ren Mei Guo was asking for the GOOD stuff! :-D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I haven't had Chinese food in quite awhile. I usually go for the Hot and Sour Soup and maybe one spring roll. I think any plain vegetable dish or meat dish without the sauce should be OK.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmmm Chinese food

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
235 Posts
Most Chinese restaurant uses Sugar, Corn flour, Salt, Oyster Sauce, Soy Sauce, Sesame oil in their cooking... (Some uses Msg too if not they replace with chicken seasoning powder which is sugar and salt)

If you go into a Chinese Restaurant, ask them to cook less oil, sugar and salt and most of the Restaurant will do that if you ask them..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Almond guy ding with beef and broccoli with ribs or chop suwy. Always good and have never spiked from eating it. But this place makes everything fresh daily without MSG. Mmmmmm so good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
8 Posts
OMG! Chinese food is really one of my guilty pleasures.

I used to get General Tso's chicken, with white rice (terrible, I know!) and two sides of fried crab rangoon (damn! lol)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
OMG! Chinese food is really one of my guilty pleasures.

I used to get General Tso's chicken, with white rice (terrible, I know!) and two sides of fried crab rangoon (damn! lol)
Sounds about like my old choices. ;) Now I lean more to Mongolian grill where I can have a little more control over the sauces & seasonings.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I second the vote for mongolian grills! You get to pick everything that goes in, including the sauces. They then stir fry it up for you. Very fun.

When my man wants asian, I avoid chinese like the plague. Everything seems to have corn starch or sugar in it. Instead we do Japanese or Vietnamese. That seems to work much better for me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I eat at the local Chinese Restaurant about every week. The couple that own it are friends of mine. Wonderful people who are actually Vietnamese. I order chicken or shrimp or beef w/ Chinese vegetables or broccoli and no sauces. Also they hold the fried rice and egg roll.

bugg:Dlikes the owners as much as the food...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That is so sweet Bugg.

Last time we had Chinese food we opted for the egg foo young, fried pork rice, and spring rolls. I had a spring roll (no sweet or hot sauce), one egg foo young with gravy, and about 1/4 cup of fried rice. Fortunately the rice did not spike me, perhaps because of the gravy? I actually had one of the lowest numbers in the morning that I've had in a long time after eating that for dinner. Go figure! But with that said, I think most veggie stir fry type foods without the rice and sauce on the side or no sauce would be great, with any type of meat.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ate Chinese the other night for the first time since dx. Was with a friend who also has d and asked his advice about what to eat. He told me to just do easy on the rice, and I only had a very little. I ordered beef and broccoli, chicken, and shrimp. Was 95 pre, and spiked to 229, the first time in maybe 7 months that I've gone over 200. I think the advice about going easy on any sauce is good. Going to kill my friend.....

Bernard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts