The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been tweaking my Levemir at bedtime, and now I've switched to taking all 2000 mg of my Metformin at bedtime as well in an attempt to help curb this DP thing that I always have. So last night, I took my Levemir (49 units) with a bg reading of 176 before bedtime (I know a bit high, and I don't understand because all I had was salad for dinner?) but in any case, woke this morning to a fbg of 175. Okay...so I went down 1 point from bedtime, but I did notice something the last couple of nights. I have woken up around 4:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. feeling a bit sweaty and a little weird; almost like a hypo feeling. Could this be when I'm having a liver dump? I guess I should get up and check my bg at that point, but I'm in kind of a fog at that time of the morning :rolleyes: Definitely not a morning person at all! I think if it continues, I will keep my meter next to the bed and test at that time to see what is going on. If I am having a bit of a low, what would you guys suggest I do? Should I keep a little something next to the bed to eat at that point to help stop a liver dump from occurring, and if so, what do you suggest? Maybe a peanut butter cheese cracker (just 1), or something else easy to eat and go back to sleep? I'm doing what I need to do to get this morning DP to stop, and let me tell you it's been hell! But, I think I am moving in the right direction. I am going to up my Levemir tonight to 50 units and see what happens. Of course, I'm leaving for out of town after work today for the weekend (going to see my Daughter in college for the weekend), so it should be interesting.
Let me know your thoughts on this. I know I will defeat this darned DP with help from my friends here! Hugs to all!:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
DP is truely a monster. It took me almost 2 years to tame it. The low carb diet helped but it wasn't until I increased my fat significantly that numbers started to come down. I tried the snack before bed and that didn't work for me. You may want to test at different times of the night to see if you are dropping very low and then rebounding. If so that is not DP it is Somalgi effect. DP is from production of your natural hormones like cortisol and addrenaline or even growth hormone that are naturally produced in the morning. Then they signal liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose. So if you can reduce those glycogen stores with LC/HF diet, it will help. I do find nights I only have a salad my bgs are higher because my liver thinks I am starving. Try adding protein and fat to the salad. Also what time do you wake up in the morning. If you can figure out what time the DP strikes try waking up a little earlier and eat something.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In the very beginning I kept my meter & a jar of slim jims by the bed & I was able to defense fairly well against the higher morning numbers by testing if I wakened early, and if I was still nice & low, I'd eat one beef stick - protein & fat - no carbs. That worked for a year & I was getting my fastings down around 90, and carrying an overall average of 110.

What I think threw it all outta whack was having umpteen medical surgeries/tests done in a very short span of time. Two cataracts surgeries, one retina repair, & other preventive procedures all of which included going off metformin for several days, going under anesthesia, etc., etc. After all this, I couldn't get my fastings down again, and it's about when my calcium started reading high too. Just one damn thing after another.

And I finally just packed it in - if I'm gonna be high in the morning, I'll just be high in the morning. The stress was beginning to be as big a problem as the DP! So now you see me with fasting around 120-130, but my A1c still dropped 3 points at last labs, because by the end of the day, I'm down under 100. But that can't go on indefinitely, and about next week, we're gonna see just how much damage it's doing. I've already asked doc for a little squirt of basal insulin to head it off, but he thinks I don't need insulin yet. We'll see what the A1c tells him next week.

So good luck defeating it, Renee. What worked for me, stopped working, and so far I haven't found another good trick yet.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Some doctor's offices will have a CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) that you can rent for a week or two. Wearing a CGM will give you a detailed picture of if and when your BG goes high and at what time.

DP is a wild beast to tame, and like Shanny said "What worked before....no longer works". I'm type 1 and have been bothered by it for 8 years. Just recently have been tweaking my basal rates and 'may' have figured it out for now at least. A lot of the info on DP says the 'rise' starts around 3 a.m........ha!!! Because of the CGM, I learned that mine starts a very gentle rise around 1 a.m. and then jumps dramatically around 4 a.m. Makes a guy more than a little annoyed.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 4 of 4 Posts