The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd ask the question... how does everyone else cope/manage? :D I'm having my bloods done tomorrow. The pathology clinic doesn't open until 8am and I usually eat breakfast at 5.30am. On top of that I've had unpredictable BGLs lately with this stomach condition I have. This morning I was 4.3 at 5.30am and that's getting too low for me. I'm hoping to goodness that I'm Ok until 8am tomorrow. I hate to say it but I actually ate a larger snack than usual for supper tonight and I'm hoping it will curve any lows. I've halved my basal injection also. Fingers crossed. I checked with the clinic today if I'm able to get priority or not... luckily they were nice about it and said they'd rather put me in as priority ahead of others than have me have a hypo. I also got told if I have a hypo then I won't be able to have the bloods done. When working full time it's hard getting to these clinics for the fasting bloods. They're open from 7.30am on weekdays also... but hey I'm already at work at that time. There's usually big queues Saturday mornings. I feel bad about having to "jump the queue" so to speak... it's the first time I've asked for priority and been quite nervous about it actually. I'm usually the person that waits patiently for everyone else to go ahead of me. Don't get me wrong... I've had plenty of these things... but this time slightly different coz I haven't been able to predict the BGLs too well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had dental surgery done last year and the Dr. told me since I was going to be under anesthesia and wouldn't be able to eat after midnight.to halve my usual basal dosage and have a snack before I went to bed It worked out ok. The surgery started around 8 am. and I didn't run into trouble until after I got home. I'm guessing that was around 10:30 or 11.
They told me to eat something soon as I got home....yeah right! My mouth was so monked up there was no way and I had to stave off the crashes with juice for a while.
Good luck. :hug:

Just thought I'd ask the question... how does everyone else cope/manage? :D I'm having my bloods done tomorrow. The pathology clinic doesn't open until 8am and I usually eat breakfast at 5.30am. On top of that I've had unpredictable BGLs lately with this stomach condition I have. This morning I was 4.3 at 5.30am and that's getting too low for me. I'm hoping to goodness that I'm Ok until 8am tomorrow. I hate to say it but I actually ate a larger snack than usual for supper tonight and I'm hoping it will curve any lows. I've halved my basal injection also. Fingers crossed. I checked with the clinic today if I'm able to get priority or not... luckily they were nice about it and said they'd rather put me in as priority ahead of others than have me have a hypo. I also got told if I have a hypo then I won't be able to have the bloods done. When working full time it's hard getting to these clinics for the fasting bloods. They're open from 7.30am on weekdays also... but hey I'm already at work at that time. There's usually big queues Saturday mornings. I feel bad about having to "jump the queue" so to speak... it's the first time I've asked for priority and been quite nervous about it actually. I'm usually the person that waits patiently for everyone else to go ahead of me. Don't get me wrong... I've had plenty of these things... but this time slightly different coz I haven't been able to predict the BGLs too well.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That's a tough one. I know for cholesterol and trigs they want a 10-12 hour fast, I'm not sure if fasting bg is the same way. So if you get the blood drawn at 8am, you wouldn't want to eat later than 10 pm. I would test when you wake up and if it is very low you will have to treat it and get bloods drawn another time. Have you discussed this with your doctor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As for me the fasting usually kills me. It gives me headaches fatigue and so on and lasts all day. Everyone is different 

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well everyone... after all my concern, it turned out Ok.
I fasted from 9pm. I was feeling weird when I woke up at 5.20 this morning and I was thinking "oh no!".... but I was sitting on 6 so it was Ok. But then I tested again later than that and my BGLs increased. I thought I felt weird.... I'm thinking I had the liver dump earlier in the morning. But it was in my favour this time :D I had the cholesterol, HbA1c, & iron studies done. I walked in there and there was roughly 15 people already there... the nurses must have just got there as they were all washing their hands together... one of them sees me and I mentioned I rang yesterday... she looks directly at a note left on their desk and says "Ok you're first".... I felt a bit aweful watching all those people watch me go first. But I was burping bad this morning and the nurse kept laughing.... she asks "you haven't even eaten yet and you're burping?" Geez this thing is embarrassing at times. I didn't even bother testing when I got home... just had breakfast as soon as I walked through the door.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure why... but I had to go for a nanna nap and I'm still feeling absolutely exhausted. I only had 3 vials of blood taken. I'm not sure whether it's because I halved the basal insulin perhaps? My BGLs keep going up on me at the moment.... grrr. My SIL called and wants us to go clothes shopping this arvo... but I'm trying to get the energy up. Ridiculous! Just call me 'noddy' today I reckon. I feel like sleeping all day... trying to resist as things to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts