The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about this for some time.

The common, current usage means "couch potato," basically.

However, if you read archeological studies, at all, you might learn that "Sedentary lifestyle" originally was used to identify populations that practiced agriculture, as opposed to hunting and gathering ... and what did they mostly cultivate? GRAINS and of course, some legumes. And it seems most archeologists will tell you that this agriculture was necessary to the development of civilization, but at a huge cost to the health of individual members of society ... increased infectious diseases, along with some other maladies ...

Yes, this is addressed by the Paleo advocates, too!

I just have found the shift in usage, intention, and meaning to be fascinating!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reminded of a historical figure who co-opted another term from Archeology -- "Aryan!"

Not that there really is a parallel, of course, but it is interesting when people lift a term from another discipline, and change its meaning for their own use ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was reminded of a historical figure who co-opted another term from Archeology -- "Aryan!"

Not that there really is a parallel, of course, but it is interesting when people lift a term from another discipline, and change its meaning for their own use ...
Thus leading to great confusion and misunderstanding. It seems every discipline is subject to that. In my own (clinical psychology), the possibilities for misuse of terms are endless. Frosts my kidneys! :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly!

But in the second guy's case, it was delusional misunderstanding.

In the case of sedentary lifestyle, could be the same, I am looking for the origin of its current usage and so far have gotten back to the CDC in 1991. It sounds like a pretty high-blown version of sheer laziness or "sloth," to me!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think "sedentary Lifestyle" refers to colonial or victorian type lifestyle where you have valets, housemaids to run your errands . All one has to do is then enjoy neverending hours of enjoying(whatever that is). In the present times of our hand to mouth existence,it is difficult to get some quality time for the self and that too is with a feeling of guilt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts