The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitchen pantry has always been filled with high carb foods and snacks: pastas, rice, cereals, oatmeal (steel cut, not rolled oats) etc. My former runner/cyclist self takes credit for this. There are also lots of canned things: tomatoes, corn, beans, tuna, etc.

Now I'm looking at restocking my pantry to fit with my new low carb Type 2 food lifestyle.

I will try replacing the pastas with whole grain variants. I've found that whole grain bread doesn't make my blood sugar go up too much. Hopefully it will be the same with pasta.

Snacks? Emergency foods? What's your pantry filled with?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just don't stock up until you've tested these things by your meter. My pantry has things that have passed my meter test and nothing else. (save any sympathy for my non-diabetic better half who has to eat "my" way, because his cholesterol is finally down where it belongs due to this low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating! :D)

My pantry holds very few carbs & a lot of protein & fats. Large jars of fullfat mayonaise because I buy a lot when it goes on sale, large tubs of coconut oil & many cartons of almond milk. Many cans of salmon, vienna sausage & packages of tuna; many cans of sauerkraut; a few cans of black beans because I can tolerate them in small portions mixed with meat like in burritos. Cans of artichoke hearts & hearts-of-palm - both very high fiber goodies. A few cans of green beans to get us through until our garden green beans are ready. Many large packages of almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower kernels, etc. Also almond flour, coconut flour, vital wheat gluten, etc.

No corn is allowed in my pantry, and only two breads are allowed - multigrain thin buns which have passed my meter test (I can eat half of one without spiking), and Olé Xtreme Wellness tortillas which are high-fiber/low-carb & don't spike me either. (Disclaimer: I cede one small corner to my everlovin', for his oatmeal, since he loves it so.)

My fridge is loaded with cheese of all kinds - stacks of fullfat cream cheese which I buy much when it goes on sale, cheddar, parmesan, mozzarella, gouda, etc. There are several quarts of heavy cream, which now replaces milk in this household. There is fresh broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, carrots. I also keep deviled eggs & non-breaded hot wings made up in the fridge for handy snacks.

My freezer is stocked with beef, bacon, ham & other pork cuts, chicken & fish.

I'm sure this is just the tip of the low-carb iceberg, because I didn't get up & go look! ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since my 22 year old daughter is still in the house there are a few carbs left for her to eat. But my husband and I rarely eat any carbs. I have slowly restocked my pantry to include

Almond Meal
Coconut Flour
Ground Flaxseed
All sorts of Nuts
Erythitol
Splenda
Xyitol
Stevia
Low Carb Whey Powder ( chocolate and vanilla)
Walden Farms 0 carb jam
Walden Farms 0 carb syrups ( strawberry, blueberry and pancake)
Walden Farms 0 carb salad dressings ( Chipolte ranch is my favortie)
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Sesame Oil
Tons of herbs and spices
Seeds like sesame, carraway, chia seeds
canned beans
canned tomatoes
canned chipolte peppers
WASA Rye crackers
GG Scandanavian Brancrisps
Raw Almond Butter
Natural Peanut Butter with nothing else added buy peanuts

In the fridge

cage free eggs
organic ground beef, chicken
black bean burgers
lots of raw veggies
Eziekel bread ( I only eat if my bgs are below 100)
cheese- all sorts
ice tea ( unsweetened of course)
Powerade Zero
Greek Yogurt
full fat sour cream
Heavy Whipping Cream
low carb high fiber wraps

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am starting with Jeanne's list and editing since I am vegetarian and also less carb-tolerant ... so pardon the resemblance ;):

Almond Meal
Coconut Flour
Ground Flaxseed
All sorts of Nuts including: walnuts, pecans, pistachios, cashews, pecan pieces for salad topping ...
Erythitol
Splenda
Low Carb Whey Powder ( chocolate and vanilla)
Sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, blue cheese, and green goddess salad dressings
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Sesame Oil
Tons of herbs and spices
sesame seeds
canned tomatoes
canned chipolte peppers
Pre-made mole sauce (watch the labels for carbs here)
Raw Almond Butter but $$$ so not always
Unsweetened almond milk in plain and chocolate
Parmesan cheese-in-a-bottle

in the fridge
eggs 3 doz is not unusual
HARD BOILED EGGS or egg salad
Cole slaw mix
Pre-washed salad greens
cheese- all sorts -- whole pieces, shredded, good stuff, and rat cheese ;)
Crystal light, made up
Greek Yogurt though I use little
full fat sour cream
Heavy Whipping Cream
Cream Cheese
Multiple condiments such as Indian pickle, Chinese chili paste, Tom Yum paste (which makes a great seasoning as well as soup!), Thai curry pastes, capers, olives, pickles ...

freezer: I stock an array of fake meats, including burgers, various flavors of sausages, fake bacon, a tofurky, and stir fry bits and ground fake.
frozen cauli for making mash
frozen green veg of several sorts
SF popsicles
My ice cream freezer bucket!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
these are great lists and give me lots of ideas for what to look for at the grocery store. my pantry restocking will happen over time as i work out what i can and shouldn't eat.

i'll have to learn new recipes to add to my repetoire as well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Most of our foods are in the fridge and freezer ;) Our pantry is pretty sparse.

I have the basic baking supplies, but rarely bake.

I have canned goods - tomatoes, sauce, beans (for hubby), fruit in 100% juice for me and boys (I have to have some carbs or I go too low), tuna, ranch dip powder, coconut oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar (for cleaning)...raisins, cashews, sunflower seeds, some granola for my youngest that he picked out...

We have one loaf of bread on the counter for the boys - it's white but no HFCS.

The rest is all produce, dairy, and protein.

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Our pantry is pretty sparse.
I've not been home since my dx and won't be for another month. I have a full pantry -so full it's hard to find things. I bought more than I ate - all sorts of great jams from the NC mtns, various fruit butters, Vermont syrups, every sort of rice imaginable, pasta (wheat, veggie, all shapes), lots and lots of various flours for bread-making (had started serious baking just a year ago), and who knows what else.

It's going to be odd looking at all that stuff now. Had I been at home I would have been gradually purging, but this is gonna be a whale of one. The food donation place is gonna love me, and I'm going to love seeing all those free shelves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts