The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a 47 man who lives alone my doctor just advised me to take up a diet to prevent diabetes, he said my glucose level was 6.9 & I should cut sweet things out, along with pasta, potatoes, bread, eat more vegies than fruit, but as a basic Australian diet I dont eat any take away foods at all, I cook everything. I use healthy olive & canola oils for cooking what else can I do, is thier a web site that I could find diabetic friendly recipe's? I tried google but - thanks for all the help.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
My wife and I are both D, we simply just cut out grains, potatoes, rice, and sugar, everything else is fair game except for some fruits. We consume a lot of sat. fat and not so much olive oil or canola oil, we try to stay away from most of the man made products but use them on occasion.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
460 Posts
You cannot prevent Type 1 if you already have it. Perhaps your motivation for posting was not for advice?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife and I are both D, we simply just cut out grains, potatoes, rice, and sugar, everything else is fair game except for some fruits. We consume a lot of sat. fat and not so much olive oil or canola oil, we try to stay away from most of the man made products but use them on occasion.
I love potatoes..

Without potatoes i will die :(

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hey..I really need some advice..if u don't have then please do not reply

Thanks
You might have made an error when you indicated that you have Type 1 diabetes then, because you said you wanted to prevent it? What fgummett was saying is that if you are Type 1 (your pancreas is not producing insulin) then nothing in the world will get it to start producing. In other words, if you are Type 1 you cannot prevent diabetes, you already have it.

For recipes low in carbohydrates, look for low-carb foods (websites) vs diabetes ones. There is a recipe section here which is wonderful and a good place to start.

Reactions: foxl

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am not sure if their is a diet to prevent diabetes. If you are already diabetic you need to eat a diet that keeps your bgs as close to normal 70-120 as possible. If a certain food spikes you higher than that take it out of your diet. I don't eat potatoes and I am still here. Once in awhile I will eat a small portion of sweet potatoes. I have given up all grains, including cereals like oatmeal. I have given up most all fruits except small amounts of berries. The bulk of my diet is green vegetables, organic meat, cheese, nuts and seeds. Don't ever say you can't give up a certain food. If you want to avoid diabetic complications like blindness, amputations, kidney fairlure and heart attacks you will.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey..I really need some advice..if u don't have then please do not reply Thanks
Simmer down, big fella. fgummett was speaking the facts; type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented. You want to go back & start over - get your facts straight before you continue posting?

You've already rejected the advice you've been given to avoid potatoes, so why would anyone else bother responding to you? If you want advice, then spare us the complaining, when it's not what you want to hear. We've all had to give up grains, potatoes, rice and sugar - and we aren't just about to die any time soon.

Incidentally, do you have much trouble finding the foods to eat an Australian diet when you say you're in India?
as a basic Australian diet I dont eat any take away foods at all, I cook everything.
And stop sneaking unauthorized links into your posts, because you may rest assured I'm going to remove every damn one of them.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Ban hamma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 11 of 11 Posts