The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there certain foods that you just won't eat even though you crave them all the time? Have you given them up completely or do you make adjustments so that you can eat what you want?

I'm pretty new to all this and it's been easier for me to eliminate things rather than try to count carbs all day long.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
First of all . . . lol at Minnie Pauz! I haven't seen Minnie for years, but I "met" Dee Adams online back in the late 90s when she was just getting "Minnie" off and running. What a riot! You look a lot like her, Diana . . . are YOU Dee Adams?

Bread is what I miss most. Homemade bread fresh outta the oven, slathered with real dairy butter. I don't crave it all the time though - and I've been able to get along with my high-fiber tortillas standing in the gap. But yeah - I miss my bread. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know it is silly, but I miss cotton candy. I remember taking the kids to the zoo and we'd all indulge, and they would wear more than they would eat. I always reminds me of fun times, little boys and carnivals. I've not had any in years, but it's something I do miss.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all . . . lol at Minnie Pauz! I haven't seen Minnie for years, but I "met" Dee Adams online back in the late 90s when she was just getting "Minnie" off and running. What a riot! You look a lot like her, Diana . . . are YOU Dee Adams?

Bread is what I miss most. Homemade bread fresh outta the oven, slathered with real dairy butter. I don't crave it all the time though - and I've been able to get along with my high-fiber tortillas standing in the gap. But yeah - I miss my bread. :(
Yup, that's me! :) I'm still trying to help women who are starting to go through menopause, but now I'm more concerned with those of us who are past it and having to deal with a lot of other crap! lol Like which size Depends we need to buy! Seriously though, I didn't heed the warnings about middle-aged belly fat and now I'm the poster child for what can happen so I am taking Minnie Pauz into THIS stage of life.

Yes, bread is a tough one for me too. So far I've been able to have whole grain flaxseed bread once in awhile. Another thing is crackers! I like crackers with soup and with tuna salad or chicken salad, but now only have a couple of RyKrisp Sesame crackers with cheese once in awhile. I do lettuce wraps most of the time.

I'm glad I had a taste of this type of eating a few years ago when I was on Atkins. I got used to no milk, potatoes or bread.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
bread pudding *sigh* I cant even have it in my house...I wont be able to resist it. To me, there is no such thing as a little taste of it, so I leave it alone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it is silly, but I miss cotton candy. I remember taking the kids to the zoo and we'd all indulge, and they would wear more than they would eat. I always reminds me of fun times, little boys and carnivals. I've not had any in years, but it's something I do miss.
For me it is pumpkin pie.....I can probably still have a little sliver occasionally, but I'll miss eating the whole pie over a couple of days!! :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bread pudding *sigh* I cant even have it in my house...I wont be able to resist it. To me, there is no such thing as a little taste of it, so I leave it alone.
OMG I love it too, Pam!! And there's no damn substitute for it, is there? At least I can make faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower, but can't replace that bread pudding!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh lord . . . me & bread pudding too. I used to make the traditional "N'Awlins" recipe loaded with pecans & drenched with praline sauce . . . I think I'm gonna cry now . . .

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, Girls...guess I shouldn't have brought it up!! At least we get to eat our veggies!! :)

Shanny, had you found me on the web back then? Were you on my newsletter list? :) Did you have a favorite cartoon? Here's mine...well, one of them. :)

I even found this page that talks about menopause and diabetes: Menopause and diabetes: A twin challenge - MayoClinic.com

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's been too long ago for my foggy old brain, but you were posting occasionally on an iVillage board named Fifty & Fabulous. I was posting under the user name "Sneezy" or "Sneezytwo".

Minnie was our favorite character! :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been too long ago for my foggy old brain, but you were posting occasionally on an iVillage board named Fifty & Fabulous. I was posting under the user name "Sneezy" or "Sneezytwo".

Minnie was our favorite character! :D
Wow...that WAS a long time ago! :) I enjoyed that board a lot, but they eventually ran me off because they didn't want people leaving that board and going to my site.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sounds about par for the course. I was leading one of their cooking boards at that time too, and we finally got tired of all the nit-picking & took our little cyber-skillets & founded a cooking board of our own, which we still maintain. I haven't been to iVillage in YEARS!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Oh lord . . . me & bread pudding too. I used to make the traditional "N'Awlins" recipe loaded with pecans & drenched with praline sauce . . . I think I'm gonna cry now . . .
My father was cajun from New Orleans....as you can imagine...I can make some awesome bread pudding with a sweet whiskey sauce...omg...to die for...literally hehe. I have yet to find a way to make it low carb...I keep hoping for a miracle though *grin*

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Are there certain foods that you just won't eat even though you crave them all the time? Have you given them up completely or do you make adjustments so that you can eat what you want?

I'm pretty new to all this and it's been easier for me to eliminate things rather than try to count carbs all day long.
I have always had a love affair with Pepsi! I can't drink that anymore, it is just murder on my blood sugar! I keep a can in the fridge for a low. It raises my blood sugar almost instantly. I love corn chips and used to just get the bag out and sit at the table and eat what I wanted. Not a good idea...I bought a bag of corn chips a couple of months ago and had to throw them away because they went stale. I only allow myself to have 10 chips which is 15 carbs. And 10 chips the scoop size just wasn't worth all the carbs. :(

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
And answer this one? How does Paula Deen NOT have diabetes?????? Love her though!!
Just one more piece of evidence in my argument that T2 diabetes causes obesity...not that obesity causes diabetes :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sorry, Girls...guess I shouldn't have brought it up!! At least we get to eat our veggies!! :)

Shanny, had you found me on the web back then? Were you on my newsletter list? :) Did you have a favorite cartoon? Here's mine...well, one of them. :)

I even found this page that talks about menopause and diabetes: Menopause and diabetes: A twin challenge - MayoClinic.com
I absolutely love this cartoon. I also visited your website. It took a few minutes for Minnie Pauz to sink in! I also saw the sign that said if you don't get it, then you aren't there! :D I am not there yet, but I know it is coming my way. Very unique website-I'll keep in mind when "I am there"! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts