The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the good things about diabetes is that it forces you to get and remain active.

What kind of things do you like to do?

We got a Husky mix a year and a half ago. Love to go for a walk in the early morning with her.

Son and I dirtbike together. Great bonding time and always a laugh and/or an adventure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've always been an avid motorcyclist.
One of those nuts who prefers to ride a motorcycle instead of drive a car; even during winter. And I do a little bit of amateur roadracing.
Now being a diabetic; instead of just using the excuse of riding to save gas and roadracing to improve my skills. I can say they are good for my health. :)

Also; I previously lived on a river and near a resevoir. So I used my kayak quite a bit.
Not anything fancy; like white water kayaking; just recreational kayaking.
But I moved two years ago. And now the nearest body of water is a 45 minute drive away.
Being diagnosed as type 2 and being told I'm a good canidate to get off medication; IF I get my weight down, get more exercise, and eat properly.

So diabetes has forced me to finally use my kayak since moving.
And as it turn out; Lake Nockamixon is worth the 45 minute drive. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Motorcycling can be as addictive to some, as gambling, eating or smoking or drinking, etc., can be to others. I've not considered it much for exercise. About half of Europe ride everyday though. I thought that it was used there to save on gas or as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle for other Family Members.

Kayaking sounds Fun(not to me but others) and Great exercise. My
Cousin does white water. He's had no(touch wood)bad accidents so far. Gotta be careful with kayaking also. Someone in the US or Canada, turned over and got caught in the rapids. He wasn't the first. All sports have some possible danger and most jobs. Life is dangerous! May as well have Fun while you are alive.

I can't do much exercise due to my severe RA. If I'm not flaring, I do my RA exercises, I like to dance, treadmill, powerball, walk, bike(bicycle-if my left knee isn't killing me), chase the bunny, air hockey and others.

------------------------
Great to hear that you and your Son have Fun and Adventures with your Husky(Great dogs) and dirtbiking. I've seen the bikes but I've never been on one. Enjoy and be careful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
since being diagnosed, i started just gonig outdoors... started walking, jogging, biking and soon i'll be hitting the bike trails with the guys again... these activities has given me more time with my 2 girls:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I study Iaido Jutsu and Kendo, have been since I was stationed in Japan. Walk everywhere, I enjoy not driving so much now!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I got a child trailer to pull behind my bike and I like to go biking with my granddaughter in tow. I have also gone grocery shopping with the bike and trailer and pulled the groceries home in the trailer. I also enjoy the Wii Fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm into largeformat photography. Mostly landscapes which means long hikes on rough trials carrying ~60lb of gear!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nowadays I`m riding by bicycle to my work and I have trouble with my left knee too Terrie. In the beginning of D1 I swam a lot

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I am at my apartment in Washington I usually fence and play squash weekly at my alumni club. I also go to the gym 4 times out of the week normally, but in the summer many times I'll swim instead. I am also quite an urban explorer - I have a car that remains in the garage most of the time because I take the subway into work every day. I love walking around the city. Since I am in foreign countries 9 months or so out of the year I usually take advantage of whatever gym is close to me, whether it be a hotel, apartment, or the American Embassy's gym. I also explore the cities I go to as often as possible. I am in Berlin for the next week and am planning to walk every street if possible. The week after I will be back in Washington.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love to go hiking. Over the past 2 years I've been doing alot of hiking and I've never felt so good. I recently hiked for 4 days straight living mostly off the land. Just me and my dog. I always hike with my survival staff I bought though. I carry a sling bag with all my diabetes stuff and some chocolate bars. If you love to hike you should check out these hiking sticks. diabetessurvivalstaff. I do alot of my hiking in West Virginia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Walking...

I walk religiously, i.e. whether its cold, inclement, etc...

One mile in the A.M. and one mile in the afternoon. And a little light weights to boot...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey swaskewicz! Welcome back! I'm taking up walking again myself . . . for years I walked three miles every evening. My husband now walks two miles a day & I'll be working up to that post haste.

Good to see you again - don't be a stranger!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I used to ride my bicycle a lot. In high school I'd go on a 200 mile ride for fun. gave that up a year after I got my car, Started to go on 2,000 mile car rides. when I got diagnosed with Diabetes I started riding again. The biggest thing to over come was my memories of how good I used to be, cant ride like that now.

So for motivation, I sign up for charity rides, like the Pan-Mass. After signing up, I have to train in order to do the ride.

I did the Pan-Mass in 96, the next morning I herniated a disk in my back.

I'm now back to riding, now I sign up for the American Diabetes Association's New England Classic 150 miles in 2 days. So I'm training for that.

That is my motivation.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I am at my apartment in Washington I usually fence and play squash weekly at my alumni club. I also go to the gym 4 times out of the week normally, but in the summer many times I'll swim instead. I am also quite an urban explorer - I have a car that remains in the garage most of the time because I take the subway into work every day. I love walking around the city. Since I am in foreign countries 9 months or so out of the year I usually take advantage of whatever gym is close to me, whether it be a hotel, apartment, or the American Embassy's gym. I also explore the cities I go to as often as possible. I am in Berlin for the next week and am planning to walk every street if possible. The week after I will be back in Washington.
hi i like the wii as well the tennis the boxing but kills me , i would like the table tennis, i also use the tread mill. and if i can the cross trainer but i am only a new one at been a diabetic so i have to do wat my body tells me and thats not an awful lot at the minuite but i will get there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts