The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Just from what I read in the article, it does not give any proof, just raises the question with speculation. Still leaves me wondering, what came first, the chicken or the egg. But it does raise a good point, one assumes seeing a person holding a leash attached to the collar of a dog on the other end - who is walking who? We assume the person is walking the dog.

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The study is inconclusive in that way, yes. But I like that the question is posed at all. For all of us who've been told that our diabetes has caused whatever malady we're experiencing (heart problems, neuropathy, disc compression, etc.) it's a thought that maybe those conditions led to the diabetes, not the diabetes leading to those conditions.

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the risk factors for prediabetes ?
Welcome to the forum, Shanita! Could we ask you to tell us some more about yourself in our New Member Introductions forum?

There are some who claim there is no such thing as "prediabetes" -- that people display symptoms of a metabolic syndrome that becomes diabetes at some measurable point. The main risk factors for diabetes are being overweight, being older, a family history of diabetes, having a sedentary lifestyle, and smoking tobacco.

There also is some evidence that having COVID-19 (especially more than once) also is a risk factor, but I mention that more out of the prevalence of the number of people who've had COVID-19 rather than where it stands in a ranking of the other factors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Drugs used in the treatment of cardiovascular -- well heart problems, causes whatever is also described as Pre-Diabetes to be worse.

Lancet had an article several years ago where statistics showed those who took certain heart Medications, like Beta Blockers and -water pills- Pills which tell the kidney to get rid of fluids had a better than thirty percent higher probability of graduating into being a Diabetic on medication in less than two years. Therefore the Lancet suggested that doctors never start with those two classes of medication to control blood pressure.

Statins, Cholesterol Lowering drugs clearly help to push someone into being Diabetic. Drug tells the body to put the glycogen, (doctors name for the blood sugar product that relates to liver and blood stream) into the liver. Always.

High Insulin levels also tell the body to put glycogen into Liver, as the body believes it has too much sugar for the cells to take in. Of course, with a type two diabetic - at least at the beginning of the disease cycle. Produces more insulin to get sugar into cells. To over come Insulin Resistance. Fatty liver is part of my diagnoses.

Put another way. A type one diabetic produces little or no insulin. A type one says he usually injects 9 or ten units of Insulin each day. As a Type Two, I inject more like a hundred of two types of Insulin. Slow acting (40 units) Fast acting before meals (18-15-15) and I am pretty sure my Pancreas kicks in more. A type two, at the beginning of the disease often produces enough insulin to keep their blood sugars somewhat under control. When diagnosed as a diabetic, the first drug is usually Metformin. To decrease Insulin resistance and tell the Pancreas to give up more Insulin. As my doc said about some of the other Oral Drugs, they try to squeeze the Pancreas like a sponge to get it to give up more insulin.

Keep in mind some oddities occur in treating heart disease. A study was done, when heart patients died, which medications were they taking. A lot were taking 'beta blockers.' for the average person they might say, don't give me a Beta-Blocker. When they should be aware that the reason so many ill with heart disease were taking Beta-Blockers is it is a great drug that gives a lot of benefits to heart patients. Beta Blockers are on the scene like - a lot of people die in hospitals. Not going to hospital will not get you to live longer.

An endocrinologist identified a gene they believed there in diabetics. (passed mother to children) She invited diabetics, who had family members whose blood tests did not identify them to being diabetics to have themselves tested for the gene, and those who had the gene to participate in a study to see if they would develop Diabetes. After enough months passed, all of them developed blood sugar tests that indicated diabetes.

I realize that often Pre-Diabetes in like what the Rachel Heller and husband described in their book as "Carbohydrate Addiction." A carbohydrate addict craves sugar, they eat anything, their Pancreas releases the amount of Insulin that it suspects is the correct amount for their usual meal. Insulin level goes up, Body responds by getting some glycogen into cells, and also storing that extra glycogen in the liver. When the blood sugar goes down. The body sends a message, we need sugar. so the individual has cravings. And I know, it is hard to ignore those cravings.

What I am trying to say. It is not the fault of either a Type one or Type Two to have developed diabetes. Type twos often have the gene. And if some say the now diabetic used to always seem to be eating or snacking. Well that was just the run up into Diabetes. Overeating did not cause Diabetes. Don't feel guilty.

I have said some of this before, but this seemed the right place to put it, all in one place again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts