The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I posted a while back but I don't have a clue what is going on with my body... I started having odd symptoms back in March.
Lightheaded-woozy
flush feelings
nausea
Anxiety-paniky
I have been type 2 for the last 10 years. When I first got sick I was taking 45 Units of Levimeir and 20 Units of Novolog. Now I am only taking 10 Units of the Levimeir and Zero Units of Novolog. I have lost a total of 60lbs since March. I should be so excited with the weight loss and insulin decrease but I feel so sick all the time that I can't enjoy it. My hemoglobin, hematocrit, and RBC is always high (smoker) My c-reactive protein (?) is high @ 1.8 My sed rate is right at 20 My C-peptide is 4.8 Also, Once a month I end up in the ER with low blood pressure, low blood sugar, dehydrated and lighthead feeling like i might pass out. So the question is (finally) does anyone know what could cause my diabetes to do a 180??

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have they done tests for adrenal functioning?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Mrs Rucker:
Are you checking your blood sugar numbers regularly throughout the day? Are you eating properly and not skipping meals? Are you drinking plenty of fluids, or in other words enough water? I know that when you have low blood sugar you will feel all the symptoms you listed. And, no they are not fun symptoms to go through. I have not experienced that for a long time, but I have opposite problem of getting my numbers to go down. I am a smoker as well and I do not have problems with the numbers you mentioned (hemoglobin and such). You really need to be sure you are checking those numbers alot. Mine depress me because they are always high, but regardless I do test. This way if you become hypoglycemic, you can take action to correct your level right away rather than ending up in the ER. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mrs Rucker:
Are you checking your blood sugar numbers regularly throughout the day? Are you eating properly and not skipping meals? Are you drinking plenty of fluids, or in other words enough water? I know that when you have low blood sugar you will feel all the symptoms you listed. And, no they are not fun symptoms to go through. I have not experienced that for a long time, but I have opposite problem of getting my numbers to go down. I am a smoker as well and I do not have problems with the numbers you mentioned (hemoglobin and such). You really need to be sure you are checking those numbers alot. Mine depress me because they are always high, but regardless I do test. This way if you become hypoglycemic, you can take action to correct your level right away rather than ending up in the ER. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.
Hello, My Dr. has me checking my sugars 7x a day :( all my postp's are always under 140. I drink 80-100 oz of water a day and I have a 7.5 oz sprite with meals. They have me eating 75g of carbs per meal. My sugars in the ER aren't low... I should have stated that better. It's when these episodes happen that my sugars are lower 90-80 PP and they decrease my insulin each time. My first meal today without the Novolog was 113 2hrs PP. My sister had mentioned something about reading that high progesterone bc can cause insulin resistance. I don't know if that is true or not, but I was on the Depo shot for 9 years, been off of it for 2 years now. But now that I think about it all this did start when my cycles came back. ????? I am so tired of feeling this way!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I understand your frustration, Itruly do. I have difficulties with my numbers, but I believe my problem is definitely associated with hormones since I am perimenopausal/menopausal. I believe when the hormones are flying high (and I can tell from other symptoms) my numbers are just out of control. I also have dawn phenomenon and have tried all suggestions on how to control this with no success so far. My other numbers are looking good, but the darn sugar is a problem and I do not want to have other problems from it. My Mom died of end stage renal failure at the age of 66 because she did not take care of her diabetes the way she should have and I do not want to end up like that.
Just don't give up. Something has to help you just need to find what works for you. I'm still trudging along with this too, so maybe we can find an answer together. *hold hands and jump in* Good Luck. Keep in touch with me. I'd love to know what you try and if it helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I see my Dr. today... Hopefully she can help shed some light on my situation. Does anyone think it's odd with all my symptoms that they have never checked my pancreas??

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I really don't put a whole lot of faith in any one doctor. Most of the ones I see just want to stick me on insulin to lower numbers. I've been on Lantus before and it did absolutely nothing more than oral meds are doing. I'd rather not give myself a shot daily or multiple times a day if I do not need too.

Could it be that your diabetes is actually more under control, and since losing weight you need to decrease insulin? Everything you explained symptom wise sounds like hypoglycemia. I do not think that it is unusual that they have not looked at your pancreas as of yet. I had a CTscan and Ultrasound of my pancreas because my doctor thought it had just finally had it and wasn't producing anymore. Came to find out after tests that the pancreas was normal! I had two small cysts that have since disappeared. So now tell me why I'm so insulin resistant? Since the last time I was on insulin (2009?), I have dropped over 50 lbs. and my sugar numbers STILL are high. I don't get it and I'm getting really frustrated trying to figure it out. But, I will keep reading and posting here hoping something will come up that helps me. Keep us informed with what the doctor tells you. Sending good wishes and lots of luck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You 8 am cortisol is usually the test they need to determine any adrenal insufficiency. I think you should go to an endocrinologist...they can run thyroid, adrenal, diabetes tests to help sort this out.

Reactions: Mrs.Rucker

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really don't put a whole lot of faith in any one doctor. Most of the ones I see just want to stick me on insulin to lower numbers. I've been on Lantus before and it did absolutely nothing more than oral meds are doing. I'd rather not give myself a shot daily or multiple times a day if I do not need too.

Could it be that your diabetes is actually more under control, and since losing weight you need to decrease insulin? Everything you explained symptom wise sounds like hypoglycemia. I do not think that it is unusual that they have not looked at your pancreas as of yet. I had a CTscan and Ultrasound of my pancreas because my doctor thought it had just finally had it and wasn't producing anymore. Came to find out after tests that the pancreas was normal! I had two small cysts that have since disappeared. So now tell me why I'm so insulin resistant? Since the last time I was on insulin (2009?), I have dropped over 50 lbs. and my sugar numbers STILL are high. I don't get it and I'm getting really frustrated trying to figure it out. But, I will keep reading and posting here hoping something will come up that helps me. Keep us informed with what the doctor tells you. Sending good wishes and lots of luck.
OK, Dr. says today that being on the Depo shot could have definatly made me insulin resistant. Are you on any form of birth control by any chance? Also she said she doubts anything is wrong with my pancreas. She says to keep taking my Levimeir down by two units every couple of days and she wants me to go back onto Metformin 500mg in morning. My Average bs is 121. Something she said that did shock me was that a 6.5 A1c is now considered full diabetic and anything under that is considered pre-diabetic or boarderline. That's a first for me hearing that. My sugars aren't dropping below 70 so she doubts my symptoms are from being Hypo or even from my dibetes at all?!?!? So frusterated!!!! She did say that my c-peptide shows that my body is still making it's own insulin.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well, at least you are maybe finding some answers to your dilemma. I just got back recent blood work and some were good, but sugar is still high with a A1C of 12.1! I can't believe it. I'm doing everything that I should be doing (perhaps I need to exercise a bit more). My cholesterol was great at 174, and my trigs were still high at 485, but they were higher last time, and considering this time last year they were almost 7000(that's right 7000!), they are doing much better. Still working on bringing them down more. I'm just kind of stuck with my bg's always around 300. Something has to be going on here. I wish I could report that my bg's were around 121 because I'd be doin the snoopy dance right now! haha And to answer your question about birth control, I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago, so I don't need bc. I still had my ovaries, but I'm entering menopause and hormones can be all over the place at any time. I do get hot flashes quite a bit and I have many of the other symptoms of it. Trust me, it sucks! I can't wait until the hormones settle down a bit. Perhaps that will help with my bg's too. Hang in there, we will celebrate our victories together. I'm very happy for you that your numbers are decent, and that the doctor believes it could be the Depo. I know it is frustrating. Just hang in there. We'll get there! I'm cheering for you!
Hugs
Naynay

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Naynay ... when you were on insulin, did you ever get dosage and/or scheduling adjustments?

I'm on insulin now. When I first started, the dose was too low to make much difference, and they gave me an easy-to-learn, but ineffective, schedule. Pretty much standard procedure for new prescriptions -- start small and work up as, or if, needed.

I had to work (mostly over phone and email) to increase my doses safely until they could do some good, and eventually received rapid-acting insulin with some more lessons on dosing and timing. If not for that, plus low-carbing, I'd still average in the upper 200s, if not over 300. But now my numbers are near normal, with just enough spikeage to keep me from getting cocky.

Have you been able to get similar help?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Unfortunately no Shalynne...they just tell me I need to be on insulin to get numbers down and don't listen to why I am against it. I was only put on Lantus and I was having to up the dosage all the time with no good results on bg's. I did however gain over 50 lbs when on it and looked like a balloon. I was barely eating anything but was packing on the pounds like all get out. I'm learning more by reading on the diabetes forums. Many people are on both basal and bolus. This was not even suggested or discussed. That is why I cannot stand the Endo's. They are very matter-of-fact and cannot answer the questions I have. It does not give me a very secure feeling that they have my best interests or health at heart. Therefore, I see a cardiologist (just because I am at high risk for heart disease. I currently have no problems with cardio), and I've seen a diabetologist once or twice, who I really like, but again they want to start insulin. I may eventually give in if all the new stuff I've recently incorporated does nothing to affect my numbers. I'm just really afraid of doing insulin again because all the reports and articles I read tell me to stay away from it. It makes no sense if I am severely insulin resistant and probably have metabolic syndrome to take insulin. I need to see what is going to REVERSE these effects rather than just treat the symptoms.
Shalynne, I am hoping I will meet the correct doctor at some point who will actually listen and follow my body rather than generalize me in a Type 2 Diabetic category and do what a book tells them to do. I'm not an average Type 2 (I don't think any of us are to be honest). I have many unique things going on that make it so what works for most does absolutely nothing for me. It is frustrating. But like I said, I'm learning ALOT of good stuff here on the forums and to some degree we all have to listen to what our meters and our bodies are telling us. I'm just afraid of any residual bad stuff from my numbers being high all the time. I go to the doctor next Tuesday so I'll keep you updated on what they say. Thanks for caring!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My belief is that there are more types of diabetes than are currently dreamt of.

Just as science is (slooowwlly) recognizing variants of Type 1, I believe there are at least as many variants of Type 2. Perhaps some of us are actually Type 3 or 4 and so on.

As for me, I was started on a low dose of NPH (long-lasting or basal -- old-school insulin, but it works for me) and Regular (bolus), which takes effect far too slowly for anyone on a semi-irregular schedule. I still use Regular for those rare occasions when I know when and what I'm going to eat, more than an hour in advance. But it was the Rapid bolus that made the difference between spiking on everything and near-normal numbers most of the time.

I'm shocked that you were given only ever-increasing amounts of basal, with no bolus. You had zero protection against post-meal spikes ... and you were, basically, set up for rising levels around the clock.

Being put on insulin immediately upon diagnosis was horrifying. I resolved to get off the stuff ASAP. But I've since learned that oral meds change body functions. Insulin, however, is a natural hormone that assists or (if necessary) replaces natural pancreatic functioning.

But it does require proper dosing (and eventually, learning how to adjust one's own doses), and a certain amount of caution to avoid lows. But on the Good Side, I can use bolus to correct those spikes that still happen.

And, yeah, it does not help one's figure, though I've found that, with proper usage and diet (and some exercise), I don't gain. It's just that the weight comes down more slowly.

Some of our Forum-folks are on both metformin and insulin. Metformin apparently has a diet-suppressant effect. Folks who know more might chime in, or you might try a search, or start a new thread.

I had to wait several weeks for our diabetes instruction program, so I bugged my doc via phone and email for dosage adjustments in the interim. Got diet tips and learned to "eat to my meter" from this Forum. Finally got Rapid through my diabetes instructor.

Though I'm naturally contrary, I'm really not into bugging people. But with diabetes, one learns multitude of new skills! :D

I hope you find answers soonest. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Naynay, You might want to ask about a fast acting insulin like Novolog for meals!! I'm not sure what has happened to my body.. 10 years ago I was 326lbs on two insulins sugars in the 300-400 range at all times but I felt good. Now I am 265 off all insulin sugars in normal range and feel like [email protected]#t!! Funny how that works :) It's like my body just didn't want to be on insulin anymore. I have learned that you have to be firm with your Dr. and demand answers. And you will probably have to do what Shalynne said and play with your levels a little till you know what is right for you!! Diabetes is very hard to deal with!! I hope you find what works for you babe!! I love this forum!!! Not only does it help with questions but you don't feel so alone with all you're going through!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
NayNay? I have no clues about WHY you're so insulin-resistant, but since you apparently ARE, is metformin one of the oral drugs you take? Met is the singular safest best one for insulin resistance (if you don't have any serious gastric side effects from it) and it doesn't hammer your pancreas to produce additional insulin - it just coaxes the cells to let in the insulin that's already available. Other oral drugs (sulfonylureas) are liable to have a detrimental effect on your pancreas some time down the line.

I DO think it will take more than met or other oral drugs to reduce that A1c of 12.1 . . . your sugar isn't just high - it's over the moon. That A1c shows that your AVERAGE is 300 mg/dl, which means you're running much higher than 300 most of the time and/or still having some hellacious lows. Whatever your other medical issues are, this one tops the list - it's putting you at extremely high risk of serious complications. I can understand your aversion to using insulin since it was poorly prescribed before, but don't you think it's possible that this constant very high BG is - if not causing, at least exacerbating some of your other ailments? Your triglycerides should be coming down if you're eating low carb, which I have to guess you are, in the effort to lower your sugars.

I hope you find a good doc too - they're worth their weight in gold - and if you don't, I hope you'll be able to persuade one of the half-baked ones that you need insulin in BOTH basal and bolus!

Welcome to DF! ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a diabetic friend who is also a smoker, and has 'quit' several times. She said that during the period of time that she didn't smoke, her blood sugar control was better. In reading this thread I did a 'Google' search and there seems to be quite a few links to the relationship between smoking and high blood sugar. I posted this one for reference. Nicotine Raises Blood Sugar Levels in Lab - US News and World Report

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
OOPS, I've been quit this time for a couple of years and now am hooked by the gum...been here before and finally got off the gum, but I've read there was no real need to worry about it this time, that it wasn't that important so I've just been satisfied not to smoke. This sure contradicts that!

Hmm....

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Naynay, You might want to ask about a fast acting insulin like Novolog for meals!! I'm not sure what has happened to my body.. 10 years ago I was 326lbs on two insulins sugars in the 300-400 range at all times but I felt good. Now I am 265 off all insulin sugars in normal range and feel like [email protected]#t!! Funny how that works :) It's like my body just didn't want to be on insulin anymore. I have learned that you have to be firm with your Dr. and demand answers. And you will probably have to do what Shalynne said and play with your levels a little till you know what is right for you!! Diabetes is very hard to deal with!! I hope you find what works for you babe!! I love this forum!!! Not only does it help with questions but you don't feel so alone with all you're going through!!
How long have you been in normal range? 'Cause I remember that at first, each stepping stone down toward normal felt like, as you so eloquently put it, [email protected]#t! (Except for those first hours under 150 ... that felt great!)

But all that passed in a few days/couple of weeks or so. If it doesn't, then it may be something med- or non-diabetes related.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts