The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is considered a high 1-2 hours after a meal? Sometimes I'll be 6.5-7, 1 hour after a meal but then settle in at about 5-5.5. Is 7ish considered to be a high?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
What is considered a high 1-2 hours after a meal? Sometimes I'll be 6.5-7, 1 hour after a meal but then settle in at about 5-5.5. Is 7ish considered to be a high?
I think thats how a normal diabetic's sugar would also vary. (maybe slightly better)

A 117 (6.5) in one hour is very good and a <100 (<5.5) after 2 hours is awesome !

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I just hate seeing 7, it drive me nuts. I rarely check an hour after. I hear people talking about highs and I guess I never knew what a high really was.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shanny, yeah I get kinda stressed out when I reach over 7, I hate seeing that number. I hear people on here talking about highs and they are at like 6-6.5. To me that is not a high, I was just trying to clarify a bit.

My numbers are pretty good, I mean I would like to be better but I always strive.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That 140 boundary is what I use as well to define a high (although I still like my other definition as well). However, as we gain some semblance of control over our numbers, those numbers we personally accept as "within range" shrinks. I remember thinking that a 6.5 was good when I first started out but now, anything over a 5.8 is indicative of shaky control.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That 140 boundary is what I use as well to define a high (although I still like my other definition as well). However, as we gain some semblance of control over our numbers, those numbers we personally accept as "within range" shrinks. I remember thinking that a 6.5 was good when I first started out but now, anything over a 5.8 is indicative of shaky control.
That makes sense to me, I use to think my fasting was good when it went from 8.4 to 6.5. Now I'm a 5.1 avg. My expectations grow for myself. 7 and 8's weren't that bad a year ago, now I dread them.

I also use the 140 boundary, it seems to work well in keeping my bg tight, or where it is now.

I like your other one better too, oh to be 18 again in Toronto! Highs were way better than than they are now.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we all have our own boundaries. I aim for no higher than 120. Even though up to 140 is safe, if I go that high my fastings will be higher the next morning. So the lower my 2 hours numbers are the lower my fastings will be the next day. Plus once I go over 120, my eyes will get blurry, and my neuropathy in my feet will increase. So even though I think your bgs are OK, do what you feel is good for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts