The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay gang, I am so disgusted this past week or so I could just spit!:mad: I have been carefully following my LCHF WOE, exercising, and doing what I'm supposed to do, and my bg's have been high for the past week! I've been closer to 200 to over 200 no matter what I do! What's going on with me? I don't think I'm sick :sick:; at least I don't feel sick. I always have a great deal of stress to handle, but that is nothing new for me :( I'm injecting the amount of insulin according to my sliding scale, and it is BARELY touching my bg's. Could my insulin not be working with my system? I was getting such great results, and now boom! Here we go again. I'm so disgusted. And, to top it off, I have blood work due next Wednesday! AUGH! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I don't know what to do? HELP!:eek:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh Renee what's causing this, could it be a bad batch of insulin perhaps ??

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Renee what's causing this, could it be a bad batch of insulin perhaps ??

Muck, that's what I was thinking too, but both of them (I take both Levemir and Humulog). I can't believe they would both be bad right? All I know is I'm so darned angry I can't stand it. It seems like nothing is working; not even the Metformin right now. I stopped taking my Crestor at night and take it in the morning now, but my numbers were not this high for the first week that I did that. And, my fbg's are higher than they were when taking the Crestor at bedtime! ARGH!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah it would be too much of a coincidence for them both to be bad.
I've completely stopped Crestor & have seen a big difference in my daytime & fbg's but I know you are hesitant to come off it & I don't blame you I worry bout poss damage I may be doing.
I do know when I've made changes with meds etc it can take a week or two before I see those changes in my numbers.
I think by upping my exercise amts this has also helped, is it possible for you to do some light exercise after each meal? Even a 20 min walk might help.
How many carbs a day are you having?
Do you need to increase fat intake?
Or is it an underlying problem
I don't have any insulin knowledge so no help to you in that regard I'm afraid.
I know for me the lower my carbs the better my numbers.
Are you increasing your insulin to bring down your numbers?
Do you see your doc next week? Maybe you need to see Endo now to figure out what's going on.
Fingers crossed for today's # no point telling you to stop worrying its just do frustrating. Lots of hugs

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
About 15 months ago I had a bad reaction to a Statin drug I was on. My bgs were over 200 and it really freaked me out. I was only on metformin so there was not much I could do. I finally stopped the statin on my own and told my doctor at the next appointment. My bgs over a few months returned to normal. I think I must have been getting some inflammation in the muscles and joints from the Statin. Did you recently just start a new bottle of insulin or a new pen? If you can track your high bgs to when you switched I would go tell the pharmacy and get a replacement. I hate when your bgs go wacky for no reason.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muck, thanks for the support. Your a sweetie!

Jwags, yes actually I did just get a refill on my insulin, and yes it does happen to coincide with it. But, why would both of them not be working? Or, perhaps the long acting is working, but the rapid isn't? It is so frustrating. I don't know that my statin is causing this problem since I've been on it for a long time with no problems. Could it be that the statin is causing a problem all of a sudden? I wonder. I will have to check that out with the cardio doc next visit (12/10/11 I think). I'm just really upset that this could really affect my blood work next week. I've been doing so much better with control (not completely there yet, but still working on it and getting better) and then something like this happens! I will be telling the cardio doc and endo about it at the next appointment though in case my numbers are really off.

Now with all that said, I was high all day with my numbers. I came home from work and had lots to do for Thanksgiving at my sister's, plus I am doing some remodeling in my main bathroom, so I did a bit of painting (so we could put the toilet back where it belongs!) and then did a bit of baking. I went to the gym and did an hour of Zumba. Came home and was pretty hungry, but I had not eaten anything for a while. I took my bg and it was 233 (probably from a liver dump due to the fact I did not eat anything from lunch time and it had been several hours). I took my rapid insulin according to my sliding scale and ate dinner. Dinner was a piece of stouffer's lasagna that hubby made. Now this is something I would not normally eat because first it is a processed convenience food, and secondly too many carbs. But, I ate a small to reasonable piece and went on with my baking and cooking. I started to feel a little funky, so I checked my bg and it was 76! What? I swear, sometimes I just cannot figure out my system. It is sooooooo frustrating.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving....and remember, lots of Turkey and veggies, low carb sugarfree desserts, and easy on those sweet potatoes and other carbs! Hugs to all of you, and I have to say I am most thankful this year for finding all of you here at the forum. It has pretty much saved my life. Thanks to all of you!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd really love for you to plan a whole week to yourself just looking after you, planning your meals in advance , exercising & meditating etc, I wish you could come over here & let me mother you .. Lol
My gut feeling is that your insulin is the problem.
Any chance you could put the blood test back a week to give you more time to get it under control.
Any way of having your insulin checked or get another supply so you can rule out bad insulin?
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving & look after yourself.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And any chance you could get off that damnable sliding scale and get on a truly accurate system of using your insulin, like bolusing for the carbs you actually ingest?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could come over there and let you mother me too Muck! LOL I think I'm in need of some mothering....

Shanny, I actually do try to account for the carbs I'm going to ingest with a meal along with the sliding scale. However, I'm not very good at it because I usually overshoot and end up with a hypo :(

I had eggs and sausage for breakfast, and about an hour to two hours after my bg was 209. Go figure. I don't know where I started from because I ran out of strips for my one-touch and can't get anymore through insurance until Saturday, and my backup BD meter was minus a working battery :eek: Hubby went out and got me a battery, but not until after breakfast. Oh well. Live and learn. However, I checked it again an hour or two after that and it was 216! I still took base bolus of 12 units of Humulog, but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

Well, everyone enjoy your Turkey!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Maybe I have it totally confused, but I thought the sliding scale decides amount of injection based on PRE-meal test. If you couldn't test before eating, how do you know what to inject?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Maybe I have it totally confused, but I thought the sliding scale decides amount of injection based on PRE-meal test. If you couldn't test before eating, how do you know what to inject?
You're right, Shanny -- sliding scale is based on the pre-meal test, but not on the number of carbs you're about to eat. So if BGs are below a certain level (it can vary with the diabetic and the doc), strict sliding scale recommends no bolus, regardless of the carbs in the meal.

NayNay ... It does look like at least one of the new insulin bottles is bad. Even if it's only one, that would mess up control all around. (Been there, done that.) I recommend you replace both of them if you can, rather than try to figure out which bottle is to blame.

I'm very glad you got the battery replaced -- and I'm mad at your insurer for limiting your strips. Without knowing your fasting level, it's impossible to tell whether the eggs and sausage did you in, or if you were simply spiked all along due to bad insulin. (Some Forum folk buy strips cheaper through eBay, or order free meters, which usually come with a small supply of strips. There are a number of threads here on supplementing your strips supply.)

With such high numbers, you might want to up your basal insulin dose by one unit once you get a for-sure good bottle. If you don't feel comfortable about adjusting your own doses, it might be good to try for a phone consultation with your doc.

Personally, cold weather sometimes prompts higher insulin doses for me. As for statins, I don't take them, but I understand they can cause higher BGs over time. If insulin changes don't work, you may want to look at the statin next.

Hope you find answers ASAP!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shanny, my sliding scale is based on a base amount (for me 12 units at 150). Every 50 points over 150, I add 2 units of rapid. If my number is say 233, then I add 4 extra units for a total bolus of 16 units. If I know I am going to ingest say 10-15 grams of carb in my meal, I will add a unit or sometimes 2 units to my bolus. However, my body sometimes reacts differently, so I sometimes over too much and end up hypo. Not fun. I don't really know how else to do it. I take my basal at bedtime, and I am up to 58 units of Levemir. I started at 25 and began adding 2 units every three days up to a total of 70 units until my morning bg is 150 or below. I'd be happy to even get close to 150 in the morning!

Now this being Thanksgiving, I of course knew I would eat a few carbs, but kept it to a minimum and just a spoonful or so. I was at 233 at dinner time (high for what I had eaten throughout the day prior) and I took 18 units of bolus to allow for extra carbs I would eat. I checked my blood about 1-1/2 after eating and it was 350! I took 15 units of rapid again, didn't eat anything, and checked my blood sugar an hour later. It was 427! What? It was going up after all that insulin? Something is just not right in chinatown. I will be calling the doctor tomorrow to find out what could be wrong and if I should try to get another batch of rapid insulin.

Well, it is late, gonna go to bed now. I'm bushed! Hugs to all. Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well I hope you'll tell your doc tomorrow that you want to pitch the sliding scale into the deepest canyon of the ocean. Trying to combine it with watching your carbs certainly isn't working. I think you need to find out your I:C ratio, your correction factor, and start finding some accuracy in how your insulin is calculated. I may not know jack about using insulin, but I can see that the sliding scale is NOT working for ya! And I'd like to shake your doc for leaving you hung out to dry like this.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
If it helps ... I usually test after meals. The only time I test before a meal is if I have a real suspicion that I'm high or low.

If I'm spiked, I correct the spike, and delay the meal if I can. Otherwise, I bolus for the carbs only. Then I test 1 hour after the first bite, and 1 more hour after that, and correct ... or not ... accordingly.

When I started insulin, they put me on sliding scale, too. It's easy to teach, but I've never known it to work for anybody. But I still do use those ratios to correct a post-meal spike.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought rapid insulin was supposed to be taken prior to a meal? I'm confused now. Perhaps that is why my numbers have not corrected properly over the past three months? I will talk to endo about this and see what she has to say. But I actually had the same thought myself...shouldn't it be taken AFTER I eat to correct bg's rather than BEFORE I eat? I dod not know what my ratio of I;C is. I guess I'll have to start pretty much all over. Frustrating. I just want to get these bg's under control and keep it that way. I started wondering if I was actually LADA, but endo did do a GAD65 and C-Peptide last year and they were totally normal. Oh well...going to the beauty salon to get hair colored and cut. Gonna relax and not worry about all this right now. Hugs Peoples!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear ...

I take rapid before a carby meal, but if I spike 1 or 2 hours after a meal, I take more to correct.

The dose I use for post-meal corrections is the same as sliding scale ... that just happens to work for me. BUT it took a lot of testing and tweaking to come up with the right dose for pre-meal bolusing. I started at 2u for each 15g of carb, but had to increase it to 4u per 15g of carb. Your best dose may be entirely different.

For now, I'd really recommend a chat with your doc on proper dosing, plus replacing both your basal and bolus insulins because it's extremely difficult to tell which bottle is bad.

Please let us know how it goes with your doc.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I decided to wait until Monday to contact Doc. I want to see how things go over the weekend. I've been up and down today, but even the down wasn't all that great. I did find something though that could explain why I haven't been reacting to the insulin lately. I went to take a dose of rapid insulin before eating some lunch, and I had difficulty with dialing up my dose, and also with the prime before dialing and injecting. I noticed that the little needle inside the pen cap needle had broken off in the top of the flexpen. Now that needle is extremely thin and tiny, so perhaps it had been in there and I haven't been getting my correct dose of insulin? :eek: I don't know how long it was in there. I also noticed that it looked like other little needles were stuck in the top. So I opened a new pen and I'm going to take this one to the pharmacy tomorrow to show them. It could be that either the pen cap needles are a bad batch, or the flexpen itself was bad. In any case, I want to see if a different pen and making sure the needle cap is intact makes a difference. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: muck

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My CDE told me that the sliding scale method of taking insulin is like trying to put a band-aid on a cut artery. It definitely did NOT work for me and I changed myself to the I:C ratio method.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Strawberry, how did you figure out your I:C ratio? I would really like to do that rather than sliding scale. It seems those of us that have been on a sliding scale that it didn't work for them.
By the way, I have been checking very carefully for the pen needle in the insulin pen, and low and behold, my numbers have been better. It just really pee's me off that I was probably working with very little insulin, if any, that got injected from that bad pen. Aurgh. But, at least I have a very reasonable excuse to the doc as to why my numbers weren't better. It is very crazy the things that can mess us up.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
naynay ~

I started out the same way you are - - on a sliding scale and my numbers were just plain awful. It made me angry that the doctor was too lazy to teach me how to count carbs in relationship to taking my insulin. I mean, after all, it would have cost him precious office time to spend 20 minutes to give me a recommendation on learning all the necessary information.

I am not a nurse nor a healthcare professional. The book that I would recommend is: Using Insulin | Diabetesnet.com. Figuring out your I:C ratio is unique to each person. Personally I started out with a ratio of 1 to 15. That means 1 unit of insulin to each 15 carbs that I ate.

When I realized after a few days that my numbers still were not within target range, I lowered the ratio to 1 to 12. After a few more days I lowered it again to 1 to 10. You definitely have to go by your meter results.

As to the correction factor, that too is also unique to the individual person. Oh....and to complicate things a little bit more - it changes from time to time also.

Shanny is right even though she says she doesn't know squat about insulin. Figuring out your ratio is time consuming but in the long run it gives you much better results than the sliding scale. My DIL is on the sliding scale and thinks that if she has numbers in the 200's she is doing good? I've suggested she get the same book or any other book that teaches the I:C ratio concept - but she refuses. She claims "my Endo said this is the best way to do it". My response was ......."well, OK, but the Endo is not going to suffer the consequences of high blood sugars - you are".

I don't know if I've explained it well enough, but if not - please feel free to ask more questions. I:C ratio is not rocket science - just plain math and not all that hard either.

Best wishes to you. You will be ok. The pen needle thing can be tricky. Good for you to have figured that out. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts