Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

What is it about pizza????

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  onlymep 
#1 · (Edited)
Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend I certainly did !

Now on to the perplexing stuff....
The Friday night before we left we had been at friends and decided to get pizza on the way home for supper. Not a great choice I know but it's not often. Over the past couple of years I've pretty much quit eating it because of my stomach but felt since I mostly had that under control that I could handle it. Was I wrong. It wasn't long after that I was sitting in my chair and started having this conversation with myself.
I said "self, you're not feeling so hot" self said "yeah I noticed". I was being overcome with a nauseated feeling and the feeling that I was going to pass out. So I sat there a few minutes waiting for it to pass and self said "check your sugar". I did and it was just fine, 119. That wasn't the problem. After a few minutes and the feeling getting worse and worse I decided I was going to quietly slip off to bed and lie down. I thought I could make it. I got up and made it as far as the bottom of the stairs and knew I was in trouble. I wasn't going to make it upstairs and I steadied myself on the door frame for what I knew was coming and down I went. The ol' man heard me hit the floor and was by my side right away. I kept having wave after wave of passing out and it took about 30 mins before I could actually get up and then he helped me to bed and I drifted off to sleep and it was over. He checked my sugar again while I was on the floor and it was still ok 112 at that time. (I got a real good butt chewing the next day for not saying anything when I'm feeling like that).
Now upon thinking back I realized this had happened before. Last time I ate pizza I got really nauseated and felt like I was going to pass out but that time it passed with no incident. The time before that, a little over a year ago I had a episode like this last one only that time I gave myself a pretty good concussion when I passed out and did a header in to the door jam, I was trying to make it to bed that time as well. All these episodes have one thing in common....pizza.
What could it be about that particular food that gives me such a knee jerk reaction? The ol' man thinks maybe I'm having a reaction to the yeast in the dough? It's the only thing we can come up with.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
oh that's no good Amy... sorry to hear you had this happen to you. I'm wondering whether it's got to do with the high GI carb of the pizza? The dough would go like glue in your system and perhaps that's irritated your stomach and got itself stuck in the wrong spot... causing nausea, etc. Just a thought. Then again maybe you are having an allergic reaction to it too. At least you remember why you don't eat it usually. :D

#4 ·
The ONLY pizza I eat is cauliflower-crusted.

If I ate regular pizza I would eat too much. We get the kids one take-out pizza for week -- and it also serves as lunches for them. I somehow manage to stay out of it!

My husband likes the cauli-crusted pizza, and so does my son (who is quite the little gourmand and dislikes the stake-out stuff -- he'd rather have a salad with me!) but get this -- they prefer mine, because, they say, my sauce is not like pizza sauce! :eek: I make a tomato sauce, tasted the same for decades, now, and no clue why it differs from the pizza places'! Oh, well ... we like it, that is what matters, I guess.

#5 ·
That is bizarre...
Whats on the pizza, plane? a lot of bread with a little bit of tomato and cheese or a pizza with ALL the toppings so the carb portion is a smaller part of the meal.
How about Blood pressure when this happens?
psychosomatic ? your punishing yourself for eating a "bad food"

#8 ·
That is a severe reaction. I wonder if they added MSG or something similar in the pizza sauce. I know when I eat certain foods with MSG I get a reaction but it is more of a gagging or unable to breathe response. Also do you handle other wheat products ok, you might be celialic. I would definitely discuss this with your doctor and have him run some tests.

#10 ·
What toppings do you usually get?

#13 · (Edited)
Usually all meat no veggies cause I always thought it was the veggies giving me such a hard time. They always stayed in my stomach way too long and I would end up throwing them up. (that was before I knew I had the Gastroparesis). The pizza came from different places.
Don't know what my blood pressure was we let the batteries die in the monitor and couldn't use but it's never high. That's been rectified though since my other is a heart patient.

#11 ·
Holy cow, Amy . . . no more pizza for you, girl! That's too scary. Are these all pizzas from the same place? The MSG thing makes sense to me - I have a friend who is very allergic & has been hospitalized in the past. Her doc warned her if she managed to ingest it again, it could end very badly.

The yeast thing is a possibility I suppose, if people ate raw dough - my ex used to turn up his nose at fresh-baked bread, saying it made him sick - but the baking process kills the yeast per se, so I'm not sure how a yeast allergy actually manifests.

Wonder what your blood pressure is doing during these episodes?

#12 ·
Try making your own pizza then you will know. Just a guess but I would bet that it has to do with the type of yeast used or a prevative that is used in the dough. Making your own is easy. It only has a hand full of ingredients like water, flour, salt, baking powder, and yeast. I make it a couple times a month. Yummmmmmmy!!!!!!

G
#15 ·
it's possible that it could be preservatives too as Adjitator has mentioned... perhaps it could be the meat they've used. Here there was a story of a lady who had a severe reaction to salami and she was hospitalised.... she nearly died. I can't remember what they said was in it that caused the allergy though... it could have been bacterial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.