The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this - The CalorieKing Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2014: Pocket-Size Edition Paperback – September 15, 2013
by Allan Borushek

Is there about to be a new edition out of this one? Is there a better book to accomplish this for me?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hmmmm ... guess it's time to look up future update prospects!

The CalorieKing website usually has such info (right now, no news). I also use their free online search for meal and dine-out planning, so I visit fairly often.

It's the only book I use for the purpose, but others may have additional recommendations.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't have a smart phone, either. I do my looking-up on my home laptop, or, if we're on a real road trip, my netbook. (I'm Old School.)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi foodahollic and welcome! Would you please hop over to the Introduction Forum and tell is a bit about yourself? We can give you much better answers if we know more about you. How are your numbers running what is your current A1c, how do you manage your diabetes, meds you take, what way of eating are you following. These can help us help you a lot better.

There is an online nutrition site that I use quite a bit: FatSecret, you can look up just about any food and get all the nutrition information there.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I like FatSecret too. It allows searches on a variety of real-life serving sizes (1 cup v 1 ounce v 1 slice).

Over time I find I have the carb and protein content of 95% of the foods I eat pretty much memorized. And having spent my life cooking I can usually do an eye-check on serving size. (Yes, I do quesstimate then measure to verify whenever possible. If there was an Olympic event for 'free style food measuring' I would place silver or gold.)

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Funny how for some things, the serving size is just a tease for the taste buds. Does anyone out there really split a can of tuna fish? Too many times, the serving size is just a manipulation to give a friendly count of nutrients.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I still weigh and measure a lot of things. My kitchen scale is still my bff along with my meter!

What gets me with some of the nutritional sites is they say things like a small onion or apple. What makes it small vs med??? And a cup of something, really depends on how tightly packed it is..... I measure by ounce or gram for exact serving size. That is why fatsecret is my favorite I can select the measurement I want and get the nutrition for that exactly. Once I have an item entered in MyFitnessPal I just call it up and put in the amount and I don't have to look anything up for that item again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize that for many in the US it is hard for realize the difficulties of having much of any internet connection, much of the time, in a rural area. It is difficult to have, as I need it, Internet connection here. I need a carb book on paper. The one from the American Diabetes Association disqualifies itself by its size.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I have a small Signet Book booklet (although it's old, I think they still publish it). I'd rather a book than the internet.

"The Carbohydrate Addict's Gram Counter" by Drs Richard F. and Rachael F. Heller

It gives only net carb grams, though, and doesn't give the fiber count. It does give fat grams.

If you do have access to the internet and a printer: I went to the Atkins site and printed out their food lists, which contain carb grams. I only printed the Induction/Phase I list because this was more relevant to my situation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a small Signet Book booklet (although it's old, I think they still publish it). I'd rather a book than the internet. "The Carbohydrate Addict's Gram Counter" by Drs Richard F. and Rachael F. Heller It gives only net carb grams, though, and doesn't give the fiber count. It does give fat grams. If you do have access to the internet and a printer: I went to the Atkins site and printed out their food lists, which contain carb grams. I only printed the Induction/Phase I list because this was more relevant to my situation.
I will look for this book. Thank you

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I realize that for many in the US it is hard for realize the difficulties of having much of any internet connection, much of the time, in a rural area. It is difficult to have, as I need it, Internet connection here. I need a carb book on paper. The one from the American Diabetes Association disqualifies itself by its size.
Well, I find that hard to believe since I myself live so far out in the hinterlands that the UPS guy didn't even know where to find us to make a delivery. So far out that the ambulance couldn't find us a coupla years ago when we had an emergency. And still, we have decent internet access unless the power goes out. It may be only 1.5 megs, but it's DSL - not dialup. So how exactly, do you 'need' your internet? Since you have obviously disguised your location, I think you exaggerate, Mr foodahollic, and nobody can dispute your story.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Many bookstores will order books for customers, if they don't have them in stock. If there isn't one right in the nearest town, you may be able to order by phone from a bookstore in a larger town not too far away.

Sometimes you can find books in drugstores and health-food stores; you may want to take a look next time you visit one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many bookstores will order books for customers, if they don't have them in stock. If there isn't one right in the nearest town, you may be able to order by phone from a bookstore in a larger town not too far away. Sometimes you can find books in drugstores and health-food stores; you may want to take a look next time you visit one.
thank you....I looked in Barnes and Noble, not much at that location. You are so helpful

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Have you tried Amazon.com? You may be able to find a used one at a very reasonable price. I can't imagine that many new foods have been added to any of the carb books that a year or two old version would make that much difference.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Have you tried Amazon.com? You may be able to find a used one at a very reasonable price. I can't imagine that many new foods have been added to any of the carb books that a year or two old version would make that much difference.
What they add are restaurant foods. Whole foods don't change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wanna come visit?

Well, I find that hard to believe since I myself live so far out in the hinterlands that the UPS guy didn't even know where to find us to make a delivery. So far out that the ambulance couldn't find us a coupla years ago when we had an emergency. And still, we have decent internet access unless the power goes out. It may be only 1.5 megs, but it's DSL - not dialup. So how exactly, do you 'need' your internet? Since you have obviously disguised your location, I think you exaggerate, Mr foodahollic, and nobody can dispute your story.
Disguise my location, you must be checking IP addresses.

I do not spend money for internet. I use McDonalds or our library to get online. If I need a carb book, I am likely in my car going with someone to a restaurant, on the way to and from a doctors office. I can hardly ask them to find a free WiFi for stop to look at carbs, for as yet unknown restaurant. Mostly I use a carb book, like I use a glucose meter, to talk myself out of eating this that or the other.

My brother lives about three miles from here and can not call the police or county sheriff. IF he has trouble he is supposed to call the game warden, who might not be around, or far away.

Cell phone carriers AT&T, Sprint do not work well in this area, as a monopoly was given to a local company, and those aforementioned carriers do not want to build towers here. We do get that local carrier, the monopoly one, who charges a lot of money for data, and will not allow all smart phones on their network. And we get good coverage from Verizon, which charges a good bit of money. Also Wal Mart Straight Talk , if one chooses Verizon as ones Straight Talk carrier.

By the way, if you want to come for a visit, the GPS system does not work in our area. The GPS system is lost if one enters the address of the local hospital. The only useful map is created by a local real estate agency. The major maps are wrong, incomplete, which for some locals is humorous.

Our city police department is now, as of just about a year ago, under new management, as the previous one had an investigation about planting drugs on someone. They should have looked out for cell phone cameras recording them. The FBI could hardly be prodded enough to come out here and investigate. The local newspaper did report they were investigating. If you are interested, they like to do a lot of car searches of those whose plates are not from here, as the local city PD gets a lot of grant funding from the drug interdiction effort.

This is east Texas. You would be best advised to remove any Obama bumper stickers and use, "Who is John Galt."

Aren't mysterious people so annoying.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts