The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandmother had diabetes type 2,her leg amputated because of that.My mother was serious about this diabetes but she is on lot of drugs without proper controlling of diabetes. I am 24 y and I want to avoid getting this disease. Please help me on best diet control for prevent getting diabetes?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
My grandmother had diabetes type 2,her leg amputated because of that.My mother was serious about this diabetes but she is on lot of drugs without proper controlling of diabetes. I am 24 y and I want to avoid getting this disease. Please help me on best diet control for prevent getting diabetes?
it sounds like you don't have it but want to make sure you don't get it. I applaud you on your efforts. If it was me, I would buy a BG meter and test yourself to see where you are. they are fairly inexpensive and the strips can get costly but for you , you probably only would need to test once a week or once a month just to make sure your numbers are ok

In my opinion... Carbs are the enemy. remove as much carbs as you are comfortable with and it will help tremendously . There are links that I am sure people will provide for you to read about the disease and learn how you can make some changes to help prevent it. I think genetics play a part but by eating properly you can delay or prevent it from occurring.

I found the links for you to review

Blood Sugar 101
Low Carb for Beginners

Depending on your BG numbers , you can design a diet that will help you.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
It is a common myth that poor diet will cause someone to develop diabetes. This is totally wrong. It is more likely that one is predisposed to a failing blood sugar regulation, with environmental factor as well.

There is an excellent article in Blood Sugar 101 where the author discusses this subject You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes: The REAL Causes There’s a full discussion that begins with how overweight people are told it is their fault, but if you can wade through this lengthy article, you’ll find the discussion of what actually DOES cause diabetes.

This quote is just one of many very important bits of understanding about diabetes that addresses the heredity component.

When these genes are damaged, they keep your body from being able to regulate your blood sugar. If you don't have these damaged genes, you can eat until you drop, pack on hundreds of pounds, and never develop diabetes.
Knowing the true causes, and understanding the role carbohydrates play in raising a person's blood sugar, should give you the tools to keep careful watch on your own body's blood sugar management, and to take steps to minimize rise in blood sugar should it begin to occur. While one can't cure diabetes, one can certainly manage it and maintain near normal blood sugar levels so that one doesn't have to develop diabetic complications.

You are in a good position right now to make sure you don't follow the course of your relatives. Just a periodic checking of blood sugars with a meter, as hftmrock suggested, should be all you need to do. I'd add, though, that testing 1hour after a meal, especially one with plenty of carbs, would give you an early warning to start watching more closely and take seriously reducing carbohydrates in your diet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hi Claire....welcome!

I think VeeJay covered the specifics above. When people ask me this question I always tell them I have some Bad News and some Good News....

Bad News, if you are predisposed to get diabetes (usually tied to genetics) you probably will get diabetes and you cannot be cured!

Good News, even if you are predisposed to get diabetes, you can delay the on- set of the disease and the severity of the disease by managing your carb intake and keep your blood sugar within normal limits at all times.

Check out that article above.....you can control this disease so that you do not experience the severe problems your other family members did experience.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts