The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fasting sugars lately have been running between 250-300. The other day I did an experiment: My fasting was 249. I injected 60 units of insulin (Novolog Mix 70/30 - Flexpen) on an EMPTY stomach, ate/drank nothing for 2 hrs., and checked the sugar again -184. Shouldn't it have been much lower??? It doesn't seem as though my insulin is working at all.

My regular daily dose is 60 before breakfast, 30 before lunch, and 80 before dinner. So I am taking 170 units a day. I asked my doctor if I shouldn't be put on a "stronger" type of insulin... I don't even know if there is such a thing..... and he says I should just take more of the same stuff.

I am very confused. Any useful comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Greg; I have no answers because I'm only on oral meds right now, but there are many here who use insulin and will be more than happy to help you out.

Thank you for joining us - I hope you'll stick around & get acquainted.

:welcome:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My fasting sugars lately have been running between 250-300. The other day I did an experiment: My fasting was 249. I injected 60 units of insulin (Novolog Mix 70/30 - Flexpen) on an EMPTY stomach, ate/drank nothing for 2 hrs., and checked the sugar again -184. Shouldn't it have been much lower??? It doesn't seem as though my insulin is working at all.

My regular daily dose is 60 before breakfast, 30 before lunch, and 80 before dinner. So I am taking 170 units a day. I asked my doctor if I shouldn't be put on a "stronger" type of insulin... I don't even know if there is such a thing..... and he says I should just take more of the same stuff.

I am very confused. Any useful comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! I have never taken a 70/30 mix. I am just making a guess that is NPH & short acting insulin or Novolin N and Novolin R. I have been on both of those and they were not the right type of insulin for me. When I switched to Lantus, taken once a day in the late evening and Novolog at meal times my fasting blood sugar came down a good 50-60 points. Please talk with your doctor and see if switching to different insulins might help you out. I was glad to make the switch and my meter agreed!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I did some research and the 70/30 mix is NPH (Neutral Protaime Hagedorn) and Novolog (aspart). You may already know this but I was wrong on my first post. NPH was not the right type of insulin for me and Lantus works really well. It is a long acting peak-less insulin. I would not be happy with a doctor who was not open to trying a different insulin to see if it will work better. I would be more persistent about changing insulin. Keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts