The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is one week since I was diagnosed. Dr. started me on 500mg 2x day of metformin and 10 meters of levemir..my bs numbers are still horrible, in the 280s. Today dr up my meds to 1000mg of metformin 2xs a day and 30 meters of levemir..just curious if this is considered high dosage does anyone take this much. Feeling so down about it all.:(

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Today is one week since I was diagnosed. Dr. started me on 500mg 2x day of metformin and 10 meters of levemir..my bs numbers are still horrible, in the 280s. Today dr up my meds to 1000mg of metformin 2xs a day and 30 meters of levemir..just curious if this is considered high dosage does anyone take this much. Feeling so down about it all.:(
It will take some time to determine how much basal insulin you need. I am not real familiar with Metformin. I am insulin resistant and need 88 units of Lantus at bedtime. I also use rapid acting insulin at mealtime & snacks and to correct a high. My doctor gave me the go-ahead to adjust my basal insulin. I started with 60 units of Lantus and added 2 units every 3 days until my fasting bs was 120. This process took 6-8 weeks to get the right dose. Work with your doctor and try not to feel so down. Once you get your medication stabilized, you should see your bs readings fall. There is a cool website-diabetesexplained.com. Visit the site and read what interests you. Hang in there!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
thanks, i appreiacate the reply, just so fustrated, feel like im on a treadmill, going nowhere fast
I can certainly understand your frustration. I too am very frustrated. I am currently taking 60u of Lantus daily, 22u + sliding scale of Humalog before meals. Still not anywhere near controlled yet. My nurse practioner suggested I dicuss a pump with the endocrinologist whe I see him tomorrow. That would sure be better than the 5 (at least) injections I am taking a day!

Hang in there and I hope it gets better for you!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
good luck with your dr..5 shots a day..i dont think i could handle that, can barely manage the 1
It gets easier :) It isnt so much painful....just aggravating to keep up with!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Stacy. The whole thing is overwhelming at the beginning and very frustrating!

Metformin works well for me, but it can take several weeks to fully maximize blood levels, so you may not see the effects this soon. The dosage I use now is 500mg x3 each day, but for awhile I was taking it x4 each day - same total dose as you.

It does take some time for things to get evened out. Changes in diet can help too, if you wish to reduce the amounts of carbs in your meals (rice, potatoes, pasta, bread), avoiding those foods can keep your blood levels from going so high.

Thank you for joining us. I hope we can forge a strong friendship and help each other in our diabetes journeys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Shanny, thanks for the reply, logically I know it takes a while for the meds to help me out..but im so anxious about it...I have changed my diet and it doesnt seemed to have helped, but again, its only been a week, doc wants me on low fat, low carb..i did Atkins a few years back with great sucess (until i went off of it of course) so i dont mind the low carb..but it is def. not a low fat diet..my head has been swimming for a week now..stop the ride i want to get off

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If your doctors office has a dietician or diabetes educator I really encourage you to make use of that opportunity. Carb counting is such an important key and many people are amazed at things they think is lo carb that isnt. Since I have started insulin I have become very aware of carbs and I really wish I had paid more attention to that info before.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Not to mention trying to choose low-fat foods that haven't had some sneaky carbs added to them to replace the fats that were removed! Arrgghh!

Read those labels & then read 'em again! And dump anything that has corn syrup, corn syrup solids or high fructose corn syrup. Seems like they add this junk to EVERYthing nowdays. (and darn it - there it is again - that "eternal vigilance" thing we gotta keep exercising . . . :()

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Not to mention trying to choose low-fat foods that haven't had some sneaky carbs added to them to replace the fats that were removed! Arrgghh!

Read those labels & then read 'em again! And dump anything that has corn syrup, corn syrup solids or high fructose corn syrup. Seems like they add this junk to EVERYthing nowdays. (and darn it - there it is again - that "eternal vigilance" thing we gotta keep exercising . . . :()
I know! Even some of the "sugar free" things that you think should be safe...are loaded with carbs which is just as bad! My dietician told me that sometimes you are better off just enjoying a small portion of the sugared item and just planning it in with your carb count for that meal or snack. Quite a few of the so-called sugar free candies have just as many carbs the regular ones. Might as well have the "real one", plan for it, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kind of in the same boat...diagnosed about a month and a half ago. Started metformin 500mg x 2...since have bumped up tp 850mg x 2 and still not quite where i need to be. Hang in there and I'll do the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts