The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my laptop in November 2010, I really wasn't interested in watching TV. My Mom watches TV all day long. Now I like to watch several programs, The Pickers on the history channel, Undercover Boss, CSI Miami, Criminal Minds and The Mentalist. I also like to watch the local news during the day. And I can't give up The Young & The Restless, I have been watching this show since 1978. :drama:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you're saying you're watching these on your laptop, I wish I knew how that works because I'd watch a coupla those if I knew how to find them in cyberspace. (We now have a functional tv in the house, but neither of us knows how to attach it to our satellite dish . . . how dumb is that?!
I'm bettin' if our 8-year-old grandson was here, HE'D even know how to do it!)

So what else do I need, Breeze, to catch the Mentalist on my laptop?! :confused:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i stopped watching tv for the most part since LOST ended last year.

i absolutely love that show, and miss it dearly.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're saying you're watching these on your laptop, I wish I knew how that works because I'd watch a coupla those if I knew how to find them in cyberspace. (We now have a functional tv in the house, but neither of us knows how to attach it to our satellite dish . . . how dumb is that?!
I'm bettin' if our 8-year-old grandson was here, HE'D even know how to do it!)

So what else do I need, Breeze, to catch the Mentalist on my laptop?! :confused:
I wish I could watch TV on my laptop! I sit at the dinner table with my laptop and watch TV. Wouldn't that be cool to be able to watch TV on your laptop? Shanny, you poor thing, I wish I new how to hook up your satellite dish. :confused:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I really enjoy The Mentalist, Lie to Me, The Good Wife. Was also enjoying 'The Glades' - hope that comes back soon. My wife likes Vampire Diaries :doh: and my kids love mythbusters and almost anything else on DiscoveryHD or AnimalPlanetHD.

Regarding watching on our computers - I download torrents of my family's favorite TV shows to our server at the house. (My house is crazy: 1 server/domain controller, 5 windows desktops, 2 linux desktops, 4 windows laptops. Yes, 12 computers in total for those counting...)

One of our desktop computers is built as a media PC so we can watch downloaded TV shows and movies upstairs on the big-screen. But we can watch them (across the network) from any of our desktops or laptops, and we can stream them to either the upstairs or downstairs x-box 360.

There's so much electronics and entertainment here it's CRAZY.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I LOVE that new show Harry's Law! But then again, I love Kathy Bates. This role is so perfect for her personality. You can see all the episodes on your computer by going to nbc.com Click on the link at the top that says "shows" then click on Harry's Law and it will take you to a page that has all the full episodes to watch online. They have a lot of their shows online to be seen. So do the other networks by the way :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...You can see all the episodes on your computer by going to nbc.com Click on the link at the top that says "shows" then click on Harry's Law and it will take you to a page that has all the full episodes to watch online. They have a lot of their shows online to be seen. So do the other networks by the way :)
Just so you know, most major networks restrict online viewing to those IP addresses in their country. IE: watching NBC.com online is only available to folks in the USA.

Most major networks in other countries allow online viewing of the same shows though, you just have to go to the network that airs it in your country.

There are ways around this restriction, but it involves understanding setting up proxy servers in your web browser, and having access to proxy servers in the USA. This is why I often download my shows if I can't watch them, or if it conflicts with something somebody is already watching.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Since downloading torrents is illegal in this country, you can stream most television shows from hulu.com. They provide a lot of awesome stuff for free.
My favorite shows are: House, Lie to Me, Fairly Legal, White Collar, The Mentalist, Psych and Community.

Reactions: silvertiger

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Since downloading torrents is illegal in this country, you can stream most television shows from hulu.com. They provide a lot of awesome stuff for free.
My favorite shows are: House, Lie to Me, Fairly Legal, White Collar, The Mentalist, Psych and Community.
You're lucky in USA to have so much online access to those shows. I don't understand why they IP restrict viewing from other countries... Hulu does it too. Heck, even many youtube videos restrict viewing to only IP addresses in the USA.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless they've changed things as of late, in Canada it is legal to download the video file, but illegal to distribute it. So if using a P2P client for torrent sharing, you CANNOT have it upload the file.

Canadian on-line viewing of TV shows is available from these sources (there may be more, but this is all I know of...)

CTV

GlobalTV

CityTV

Space (Like SciFi)

Discovery Channel Canada

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used to watch some of the programs on Discovery Health, but when that channel morphed into All Oprah, All The time, I watch little but sports and DVDs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I used to watch some of the programs on Discovery Health, but when that channel morphed into All Oprah, All The time, I watch little but sports and DVDs.
Just wait until she gets her own channel!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't watch a whole lot of TV anymore but I love Glee, and The Amazing Race along with Top Chef. Since I work from home, I'll have All My Children and One Life to Live on in the background.

I like a lot of shows in the Food Channel like Ace of Cakes, Iron Chef, Chopped, Cupcake Wars but they are not appointment TV.

I also turn on the History Channel to see if it has something interesting on. Usually it seems to be mostly alien/conspiracy/nostradamus type of stuff which I'm not at all interested in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a lot of favorites... The Cape, Harry's Law, Royal Pains, American Idol, Being Human, Vampire Diaries, Smallville, Supernatural, Ghost Hunters.

We use Netflix to watch True Blood, Dexter, and The Tudors

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd almost always rather be reading a good book than watching TV. Hmmmmm. Think I'll start a new thread about that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'll admit that I watch TV, even though I should be exercising.

I watch The Price is Right, Millionare, the news and DVD's. I also like the Create Channel.

I am trying to cut out the game shows but it is not easy. I have cut out a lot of TV shows that I use to watch. I prefer to read.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'll admit that I watch TV, even though I should be exercising.
This is why my Spin Bike is in front of my TV, right beside my couch. Watch your favorite show WHILE exercising :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts