The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellow sojourners, I just wanted to hear from you as to what your greatest fear(s) are regarding diabetes.

Also, while we all know that this life will inevitably come to an end, what do you fear most about death? Maybe, you fear what lies beyond death :confused: Or, maybe you fear how you will die, or, how you will handle that last moment in life? :eek:

I hope these questions prompt some honest response, and subsequent comments, feedback as you open up our hearts to draw closer to others on this forum.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Great thread. could be very powerful. could also get out of hand? who knows.

My greatest fear since diagnosis is going blind. i honestly dont think i could get by without the internet.

as for dying, i lost that fear a long time ago. i've known so many people that have died, that im going to be happy to see them "on the other side" whatever that may be.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I really have no fear of death. I'm not in any hurry. but I don't fear it. I'm afraid of lingering illness, hospitals, gradual decline.. but not of death itself.

I fear being relatively helpless.. blindness, amputations, stroke, loosing the ability to do the things I enjoy and the ability to take care of myself. I've known people who learned to live with limitations - even a blind PWD who I "met" on the computer many years ago (his computer read the screen to him), but I don't think I have what it takes to accept and adapt to that type of situation. I'm not sure I'd even want to try.

I know I'm not "supposed" to say that but this is the place where I can. If I had become disabled when I was younger I would have been able to deal with it - I'm a fighter. I'm not old, only 53, but I feel like I'm too old to start over in that kind of fight. This is why I will do everything I can to keep as healthy as possible.

G

·
good topic :) I have a strong faith personally and I reckon that's what keeps me sane. At first when I was diagnosed I have to admit I associated diabetes with coma and I didn't like that idea at all. I also don't like the idea of getting sick all the time and being poked and prodded. As for dying... I'd prefer a long life before I have to face death.. and I'd want it to be quick. I have a 87yo grandad who has same faith as me... but he is constantly confronted with death as he lives in residential care. It's interesting listening to how he deals with it... one day he's had a nice old chat with someone and the next day he may see them being take out in a body bag. He likes to go and pray with people there that look real sick. I admire him for being so strong... I think that would make me so sad talking to people one day and not seeing them the next.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey fellow sojourners, I just wanted to hear from you as to what your greatest fear(s) are regarding diabetes.

Also, while we all know that this life will inevitably come to an end, what do you fear most about death? Maybe, you fear what lies beyond death :confused: Or, maybe you fear how you will die, or, how you will handle that last moment in life? :eek:

I hope these questions prompt some honest response, and subsequent comments, feedback as you open up our hearts to draw closer to others on this forum.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul
Nice thought..we have to tackle the bull by horns I guess....my greatest fear would be complications like blindness, loss of limbs due to infections,availability of medications and finally body trying to fight the medications when we try to set it right. Death will come anyway, dont have to bother about it..its life with a forever condition like diabetis is a real trauma to consider sometimes. Thats the reason diabetic ends up fighting his own depressons sometimes..so we should keep our positivity intact and go about evolving with every situation we meet...Its OUR life after all!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hmm greatest fear? Losing my sight..thats an easy one. I dont fear death. I am in no hurry for it...but I dont fear it. Dying is easy...living is hard work :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
dying doesn't worry me so much but it does come at an inconvenient time.

i fear the blindess, loss of limbs, and limp noodle. basically my body failing/falling apart

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My biggest fear right now is the worry I cause the people that love me. I also don't want to go blind, have anything amputated or die young. Those things keep me motivated.
I have a very strong faith that gives me confidence in what is to come so I'm not concerned about that.
I also know that I'm not on control, so I have to live through faith.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My biggest fear is that my death certificate will list cause of death, what ever it may be, then the following. caused by diabetes complications.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Death, not so much ... Alzheimer's!!! Both my parents developed senile dementia and both lasted over a DECADE.

and NEITHER was diabetic, but I AM. And it's a risk factor. TERRIFIC.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Both my parents are still living in their early 90's. My dad has been blind for the past 14 years from an auto immune disease- temperal arteritis. It is amazing how he has adjusted and still does everything he did before including playing bridge and cards. So going blind is not my biggest fear. I want to see my 5 kids get married and hopefully have grandkids I can spoil. I want to be able to stay active and hike and climb mountains. I want to live life fully until God decides he needs me in heaven. My mom is beginning to get dementia and now my dad has diabetes and neuropathy, so moving around is difficult. If God chooses to let me live that long, I want to be independent and active. I control my diabetes not the other way around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Death, not so much ... Alzheimer's!!! Both my parents developed senile dementia and both lasted over a DECADE.

and NEITHER was diabetic, but I AM. And it's a risk factor. TERRIFIC.
yep that is a fate worse than death. definitely not how I wanna go

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't fear death. I don't want to go blind from having diabetes. I don't think that I will die from diabetes. I will probably catch pneumonia and it will be more than my body can fight off. I don't like the feeling of not being able to catch my breath, if you want to find out what it feels like to not be able to breath, put a clothes pen on your nose and don't open your mouth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How does anybody fear death when nobody knows you are dead. You’ve lost breathing or consciousness first, and probably woke up in a new environment. If we still retained our intellectual, we’ll start asking questions. I think our fears are in between sufferings and pre-calculated death.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone really know when they are dead? You raised a good point, but, there have been a lot of things written about death, and those who have been reportedly dead, have known that they were dead at the time they crossed over.

Thanks for your great point! It is one more thing to think about?

And welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have much in common, Foxl. Both my parents also. I took care of them and know intimately what they suffered. Horrible way to end one's days.

I fear nothing about diabetes. Have caught it early and will control it with diet and exercise, or, failing that, medications. I'm still registering in the "prediabetes" range and monitoring very closely.

Death - As an atheist, I've no expectations about that and no fear of losing my individual identity. My little ego/self/personality will simply cease to be. As a Buddhist, there is nothing to fear in that.

I have only one fear regarding death - leaving messes for others to clean up.

Reactions: ulf

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Death - As an atheist, I've no expectations about that and no fear of losing my individual identity. My little ego/self/personality will simply cease to be. As a Buddhist, there is nothing to fear in that.

I have only one fear regarding death - leaving messes for others to clean up.
Then we have even MORE in common! Buddhism is the closest thing to my beliefs, as well.

And having kids aged 10, 8 and 7, yes ... leaving messes for others, indeed is a huge fear! (adopted -- and I am 53!).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Then we have even MORE in common! Buddhism is the closest thing to my beliefs, as well.

And having kids aged 10, 8 and 7, yes ... leaving messes for others, indeed is a huge fear! (adopted -- and I am 53!).
I have no children of my own, but I sponsor 4 children through Children International. They are beautiful kids - all colors from four different countries.

About Buddhism - I have numerous books written by Thich Nhat Hanh. He is amazing!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that there is no life after death, that this life is all we get.

My greatest fear is blindness, I stay off chocolate for that reason only. That, and I'm fed up with that Little Woman's Problem I get when I eat it.

I fear death because I can't imagine what it will be like to actually die. I can't imagine not being aware of my life, and anytime I try to imagine it, I find I'm thinking about the time after I've died, which I'm not going to know about. However, I also believe that when I reach the end of my life, there will be an acceptance, more of a willingness that I've had my time, and I will be happier to leave this life. I would like to do more with my life, but feel you can only live your own life as much as you can (rather than saying, "I wish I'd invented the cure for cancer" or something grand like that - maybe I can't!), otherwise you may end up with a lifetime of regrets.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.