The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that a normal fasting bs is 65-99 (I should aim for 80-90), testing 2 hrs. after meals, normal is less than 180 (I should aim for 110-120). Normal at other times is in the low to mid 100's (I have no idea what the numbers should be 1 hr, 3 hrs, etc. after eating.) But I see from the posts here that blood sugar can also get too low, then you should eat a lolly or whatever.

My questions are, what is "the number" that is too low after fasting, what is the number that is too low 2 hrs. after meals and what is the number that is too low at other times? There is probably no exact number, but I'm new at this and haven't the slightest idea when it is time for a lolly.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A few numbers might want to be corrected:

Regarding Fasting Readings:
Blood Sugar 101 said:
A normal fasting blood sugar (which is also the blood sugar a normal person will see right before a meal) is:

83 mg/dl (4.6 mmol/L) or less.

Many normal people have fasting blood sugars in the mid and high 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L) range.

Though most doctors will tell you any fasting blood sugar under 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) is "normal", there are several studies that suggest that testing with a fasting blood sugar in the mid 90 mg/dl (5 mmol/L) range often predicts diabetes that is diagnosed a decade later.
Regarding Post-Meal Readings:
Blood Sugar 101 said:
Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is:

Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal.

Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.
Anything above 140 (7.8 mmol/L) is the dangerous zone where diabetic complications start. The goal is to be UNDER that level as much as possible. It's hard to get there when first diagnosed, but is possible.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

Myself, I try to keep fastings under 5.0 (90), 1hr post meal under 6.7 (120) and 2hr post meal under 6.0 (110) ... Anything outside of those numbers and I'm changing things... Some people like even lower numbers than what I'm currently striving for... and I may as I get better control, too. (I've only been DX'd barely 4 months...)

Regarding "Too Low" ... unless you use insulin it's rare to go 'too low'. My body responds very shortly after dropping below 4.3 (77) by secreting more glucose into my system. I personally consider under 70 (3.9) to be hypoglycemic.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're right, there's no exact number, and lows are more likely for ones who use insulin or sulfonylurea drugs. I think conventional wisdom is to treat a low if it's under 70 (3.8). Mep is the exception, because of her myriad other ailments - she gets symptomatic when she drops under 90 or 100 - but most people who've been controlling their numbers have become accustomed to normal levels under 100.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You're right, there's no exact number, and lows are more likely for ones who use insulin or sulfonylurea drugs. I think conventional wisdom is to treat a low if it's under 70 (3.8). Mep is the exception, because of her myriad other ailments - she gets symptomatic when she drops under 90 or 100 - but most people who've been controlling their numbers have become accustomed to normal levels under 100.

That sounds about right Shanny. As someone who is on insulin, I try to keep above 70. Below that, I keep a close eye on things and am usually taking something to boost me up a bit, something like peanuts or a small apple that won't spike me up too much. Below 60, I am taking something with a fast acting sugar to boost me up quickly (glucose tablet, hard candy, raisins, juice, etc).

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I try to keep fasting 85-95. I have been in the 70's a few time, but I would think 65 is way too low. There are some non D's who can do that but I think it is too low for a D. Also a lot of us tend to get "liver dumps" when our bgs fall too low. The liver dumps I get bump me up 30-40 points.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I understand that a normal fasting bs is 65-99 (I should aim for 80-90), testing 2 hrs. after meals, normal is less than 180 (I should aim for 110-120). Normal at other times is in the low to mid 100's (I have no idea what the numbers should be 1 hr, 3 hrs, etc. after eating.) But I see from the posts here that blood sugar can also get too low, then you should eat a lolly or whatever.

My questions are, what is "the number" that is too low after fasting, what is the number that is too low 2 hrs. after meals and what is the number that is too low at other times? There is probably no exact number, but I'm new at this and haven't the slightest idea when it is time for a lolly.

My doctor just told me 2 weeks ago that during fasting anything lower than 60 is critical. it technically shouldnt be lower than 75, but below 60 is where you should worry.. and he also said that 2 hrs after eating, its critical when its below 100. but mine came out to be 50 one time... now it's just above 143. hope it helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts