The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple of free boxes of BD ultra fine mini needles for my humalog and lantus pens when i was at the dr last week. but before dinner tonight I injected my humalog and it bled a little. then while eating dinner i felt a lump under my shirt. i pulled it up and sure enough I've got a lump under my skin..and it very red. have not had a problem with these needles up untill this point. not sure what i did wrong.

I was wondering what size needles everyone uses if you use a pen. And what problems you've had with different size needles. Is this a common occurance with these shorter needles??? they a 5mm length i believe. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
kansan said:
I got a couple of free boxes of BD ultra fine mini needles for my humalog and lantus pens when i was at the dr last week. but before dinner tonight I injected my humalog and it bled a little. then while eating dinner i felt a lump under my shirt. i pulled it up and sure enough I've got a lump under my skin..and it very red. have not had a problem with these needles up untill this point. not sure what i did wrong.

I was wondering what size needles everyone uses if you use a pen. And what problems you've had with different size needles. Is this a common occurance with these shorter needles??? they a 5mm length i believe. Any input is greatly appreciated.
I use 5mm... I bleed sometimes and I've also gotten the lump

·
Registered
930 Posts
i use ReliOn 31G 8mm insulin syringes and try to keep each site to around 8 IU a la Dr B so i split my shots. i get no bumps and few other problems except having to inject insulin on a time schudule

ColaJim

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use 5mm and have not bled or gotten the lump yet,even on large doses. Have not been using them that long though, so we'll see :)

Jeremy

·
Registered
633 Posts
you didn't do anything wrong. Just remember that getting poked is an unnatural thing for you body and sometimes it just has to say that it didn't like that.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
you didn't do anything wrong. Just remember that getting poked is an unnatural thing for you body and sometimes it just has to say that it didn't like that.
I really like this quote. I think it might go in my signature. I know this probably wasn't the intention but it made me laugh a little.

G

·
I've only ever used 8mm size. I always put it in on the angle as I was advised. I do get bleeding every now and then and the burning sensation. I've noticed I bruise sometimes and I get the little red lumps which looks like a rash after a bit as I tend to go for same areas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use 8mm. First time I took my insulin I pulled it out and had a lump under skin for about 5 mins after. I think coz I was nervous I was shaking the needle around inside me lol. I bleed sometimes after pulling needle out. And at the moment my belly looks like a pin cushion. And I have random bruises on my belly too from needle.
Joys of insulin. I have only been on insulin for a month and a half now.

Sent from Lisa's iPhone using Diabetes App

G

·
I use 8mm. First time I took my insulin I pulled it out and had a lump under skin for about 5 mins after. I think coz I was nervous I was shaking the needle around inside me lol. I bleed sometimes after pulling needle out. And at the moment my belly looks like a pin cushion. And I have random bruises on my belly too from needle.
Joys of insulin. I have only been on insulin for a month and a half now.

I was silly enough to think I'll become a pro and work out how to not bleed and bruise myself. lol.... but it hasn't worked to date. I've been on insulin since Feb10. I was advised to aim below the belly button to inject... that's what I stick too. I'm not game to try anywhere else at the moment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
True. Do you change spots often. I inject either side of my belly button. I try to rotate where I do it.
When I inject on my left side I hardly feel it but when I inject on my right side it always hurts.
Weird huh. Lol. Prolly all in my head.

G

·
True. Do you change spots often. I inject either side of my belly button. I try to rotate where I do it.
When I inject on my left side I hardly feel it but when I inject on my right side it always hurts.
Weird huh. Lol. Prolly all in my head.

yes I change spots often... and I swap sides. I notice some spots I hit doesn't hurt, and others do. I have my own pin cushion really that looks like a balloon.... luckily the needle doesn't make it pop. lol. (although the thought of instant relief from my stomach problem is nice)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I sometimes have stinging, and even once a bruise, from injecting. The longer I inject, I develop some techniques to prevent twisting or turning the needle. The needles claim they are "no pinch," but I reuse them ... a LOT. Laziness more than cheapness, frankly ...

Anyhow, one thing I do is put a finger on either side of the injection site, not quite pinching, just stabilizing ... since I count to 15 before removing the needle or else I get a bead of insulin, which makes me wonder, b/c 8 ul is not a very big volume! It seems if any twisting is going to occur, it is during that count.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Usually when I do it on the left side of my belly button is when it hurts more. I don't think I even think about the angle or anything like that anymore. I just stick it in and push the insulin through, usually while having a conversation with someone and trying to count to 8 or 10 in my head at the same time.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have 1CC, 1/2 CC and 3/10 CC all short needle. I don't have any problems with my injections. I would like to have a pump someday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm using 8mm and I was told to go in straight. I was also told I couldn't use anything shorter as they were for babies (as in very young children, not wimps). BD's site says you should pinch with 8mm and with their 4 or 5mm you go in straight and that they can be used by anyone. I do get a small blood droplet occasionally and once bruising. Several times have had a lump and often a mild pain or burning if I bump my stomach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a 6mm needle because with the longer needles I was getting insulin lumps, shorter needle made a big difference. I was initially advised to inject at an angle but about 2 years ago I was advised to inject at a 90 degree angle. I was a bit apprehensive and thought it would hurt but it didn't and I have had no lumps or bleeding since. It's worth a try

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.