The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being somewhat of a computer geek. (I'm a Linux Administrator by trade.); I like using software to help me with my diabetes.

Back in January when I was first diagnosed. All my computers were running Linux. I only found one diabetes program available for Linux. It was:
Diabetes Software for Desktop, Palm, PocketPC, Phone, Web: HealthEngage Diabetes
I liked the trial Linux version. But I later found out that it was impossible to purchase the commercial version.
(Order form on their website doesn't work AND their phone has been disconnected. Out of business ?)

So I upgraded my one windows desktop computer from Windows 98 to XP Pro.
I have since been using several programs for BG tracking, diet, and exercise.
(In addition to a written journal of my meals and exercise.)
I thought I'd share with everyone the names (and links) of the programs/tools I am using.

Diabetesforum.com (Obviously :) )
http://www.diabetesforum.com/

BG Tracker
BG Tracker Homepage - Welcome!
It's simple, but yet customizable. And I really like it's daily BG average graph.

Health Diabetes Software
http://healthsoftware.hazeleger.net/
Extremely detailed. And it tracks much much more than just BG readings.
Such as time of reading before or after a meal, weight, cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL, LDL, A1c, kidney liver and thyroid test results, bowel movements, medications, doctor appointments, doctor evaluations, diabetic hypos, etc ..

Win GLUCOFACTS (both standard and professional versions)
Software: Bayer Meters - glucofacts, diabetes management software, Win GLUCOFACTS
The standard is ok. But I quit using it in favor of the professional version.
Readings can be downloaded directly from a Bayer/Ascensia meter or entered manually. They can be marked as pre-meal, post-meal, diet, exercise, illness, special, stress, control, user entered, etc ...
The program shows average bg, highest bg, lowest bg, # of readings, standard deviation, etc ...
You choose which date range you want to display. ie. 2-weeks, 1-month, 2-month, 3-month, all, or a specific range.
And all readings/calculation can be displayed in both as a table or a graph.

CalorieKing
CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more
CalorieKing - Diet & Weight Loss Software for Windows - CalorieKing.com Desktop Diet Diary Software for Windows
Great for tracking your diet and exercise.
I'm currently only using their PC software. Although I am considering someday using their website.

Life Fitness Ultra Digital Pedometer and the software that came with it.
Buy Life Fitness Ultra Digital Pedometer online at CVS.com
The pedometer and it's software not only track you daily steps.
It also differentiates between total steps and aerobic steps.
As well as miles walked, fat burned and calories used.
And readings can be downloaded from pedometer directly to the software.

I think Life Fitness pedometer is a CVS branded version of Omron pedometers.
GOsmart™ Pocket Pedometer with Advanced 2D Smart Sensor Technology

And now that I'm diabetic; I'm eating A LOT of salad. About 3 to 5 quarts per day.
I couldn't eat this much salad without these zero/low carb, zero/low sugar, zero/low calorie salad dressings.

Awesome Food Products
Awesome Salad Dressing - Good for weight watchers and diabetics
I think these dressing are only available via mail order.
When I first became diabetic and did a Google search for "diabetic salad dressing". This was one of the very first results.
I really like his Sweet & Sour Garlic, and Raspberry Blackberry Cranberry dressings.

Walden Farms
Walden Farms
Walden Farms: Salad Dressings
I'm fortunate to have two stores near me that sell Walden Farms dressings.
But you won't find them in the typical isle with all the other big name dressings.
It can be found only in the small, refridgerated health food shelf at the far end of fruit and vegetable section of the grocery store.
Besides dressings; Walden Farms also make other zero carb, zero calorie products such as ketchup. pancake syrup, etc ..

I hope some other people find these programs/tools helpful.

Hint:
At every doctor or dietitian visit. Along with my written journal; I also bring printed reports created by all the above software programs.
This makes the doctors and dietitian happy to see me AND they have a easier (ie. less error prone) time monitoring my diabetes and overall health.

What is everyone else using ?

--ET

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't know there were computer programs to help. Duhh! There is a program or an app for everything these days. I may have to look into these.

I am getting used to the Walden dressing. It works- it allows me to eat salad without being bored. But the flavor is so-so. I guess when you take everything good out of dressing, you aren't left with much else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for that detailed list and description of the software you are using. I am looking for new software to use myself. I was using a web-based application that Roche Diagnostics was operating and that uploaded BG readings from my Accu-chek meter and spat out various stats, graphs etc. which could be also emailed to my diabetes team. It wasn't bad (aside from not residing on my local machine) but they (Roche) have discontinued the service so I'm a bit high-and-dry.

I'm looking for an app that might run on Windows Mobile (I have a HTC Tytn II) that I could, say, connect my meter via USB and download BS readings, diarize medication and meal info, and maybe utilise the built-in GPS to track exercise (I already do this to some degree with my cycling using Garmin software .gpx files and the Trailguru website - www.trailguru.com - which provides some cool reports, graphs, calories burned etc. etc.)

Please, developers, would love to see something that could integrate these things into one application!

I know there are some iPhone apps being developed that look pretty interesting so maybe I will quit resisting and go over to iPhone if better apps are developed for it first - as I suspect there probably will ...

There are some interesting threads about it on this Geeks With Diabetes forum

Meantime, I've still got to find some new software to at least run on my PC and that will upload data from an Accu-chek Advantage meter ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
glucosetrends

I've been using several programs to keep track of my bloodsugars, but most where to complicated. That's why my boyfriend made me a website where I can keep track of my bloodsugars and see how it progresses over time. Since I really like the simplicity he decided to open the site up to other users as well.

Maybe someone is interested in trying it?

Somehow I can't post the url here....

glucosetrends dot com

Best,

Sarah

·
Registered
2 Posts
May I introduce the sofware 'SiDiary6'?

It's available for PC, Pocket PC, Smartphone with Windows Mobile, Java based cell phones and as an online platform.

The Online platform is optimized for several browsers, even the safari on iPhones. And a native iPhone App is in developing.

The benefit on SiDiary is that you not only could import readings/entries from your bg meters or pumps, you can track anything you could imagine in it. (With user defined data types)

It's also no problem to track something here, something there and import your meter: on the pc version everything will be merged into a complete logbook.

Kind regards
Joerg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started using the onetouch ultrasmart recently and I really like the functionality. However I don't want to buy the apparantly sub-standard PC software/cable that it would require to import data. So I though I would do my tracking on a smartphone.

I just ordered an android based phone, so that I could develop my own diabetes management program. Since I have a Java and Linux background I figured android would be a perfect fit. However, I discovered that its already been done. Ontrack is available for free from the android marketplace and you can learn more about it here:

(Can't post a URL since I'm a new member - So google "android diabetes ontrack" and it is on the GExperts site)

I have not used it yet since I don't yet have my new phone but it does look promissing.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I started using the onetouch ultrasmart recently and I really like the functionality. However I don't want to buy the apparantly sub-standard PC software/cable that it would require to import data. So I though I would do my tracking on a smartphone.

I just ordered an android based phone, so that I could develop my own diabetes management program. Since I have a Java and Linux background I figured android would be a perfect fit. However, I discovered that its already been done. Ontrack is available for free from the android marketplace and you can learn more about it here:

(Can't post a URL since I'm a new member - So google "android diabetes ontrack" and it is on the GExperts site)

I have not used it yet since I don't yet have my new phone but it does look promissing.
I wasn't able to find any glucose monitoring software that was compatible with Windows 7 operating system, so I went online and found Diabetes Pilot. It is a stand alone program and you must enter your readings, medications and even food into the program. It lets you print all kind of reports and I can just take my laptop to the doctor with me. I am not sure if I am allowed to offer this information but I am sure a moderator will let me know. The software costs $39.95.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well there's a lot to check out here. Thanks for the thread and the links.

I did a search a while ago too. I was specifically interested in Open Source, or Freeware, and whilst I did come up with a lot, the one I downloaded and installed is called cron-o-meter. It's download URL is CRON-O-Meter

It looks like it is ideal for people exercising, dieting, and those who have diabetes and/or hypertension. And they have Windoze, Linux, and Mac versions too. Yep, it's free! Like all good things :)

But to be honest, I haven't used it at all. Reason is I am trying to wean myself off of sitting behind the computer all day. It's that sedentary life-style which made me put on the kilo's in the first place, which led to hypertension, and now the D Dx.

So instead I use a plain spiral bound book, and a supplementary book the CDE has given me [she only wants to know the BG readings], and my spiral bound record's are cluttered with other measurements including BG, BP, Weight, Waist Circum., Food's I have eaten at mealtimes, food weights, day's temperature, etc.. Whenever I need to chart something I just open up Calc of Open Office. Also Open Source and free, and better charts than MS Excel 2010 Beta.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I would follow up on my earlier post. I now have the Google Nexus One android based phone. The phone is really great btw.

The ontrack software I mentioned before is available through the Android Market app and is free. I believe it will work on any Android based phone.

The software does the basics of collecting sugar, food, medication, exercise and weight info. Then you can display it in a variety of graphs and reports. Its all the essential data collecting and reporting that I need.

Having it on my phone has made a real difference in my control. I'd even call it fun. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize this is an old thread...

I'm a Linux(Debian) user as well. I have not found a suitable package to replace the app that came with my OneTouch meter. What I ended up doing is using Sun's VirtualBox, load Windows on the Vbox and run the meter through the virtual machine. Works pretty good so far.

But I'm always looking for something that I can run directly in Linux instead of my W2k Vbox.

Rich

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm another Mac user here. I use Diabetes Logbook X to track my blood sugar, carbs, etc. It will track dosages of insulin, and all the usual stuff. I just print out one of the reports for my doc when I go. There is a Palm app that integrates with it. (that's how long I have been using it!)

On my iPhone/iPad I have Wavesense. I really haven't gotten into using it, but have continued to use my trusty old Diabetes Logbook X.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Rich . . . hope you'll drop by more often to get better acquainted. Thank you for joining us!

:welcome:

I realize this is an old thread...

I'm a Linux(Debian) user as well. I have not found a suitable package to replace the app that came with my OneTouch meter. What I ended up doing is using Sun's VirtualBox, load Windows on the Vbox and run the meter through the virtual machine. Works pretty good so far.

But I'm always looking for something that I can run directly in Linux instead of my W2k Vbox.

Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been looking for software for my android phone (Nexus S) which lists nutritional info, and it would be especially good to find something that has Canadian restaurants. Anyone using something like this?

As for tracking, I agree with previous posters that the OnTrack for Android is great. It has been very useful to easily email my RN each day as we work out my lantus/apidra doses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.