The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Be sure to scroll down to the end & check out Dr. Lustig's lecture - it's long, but so well worth the time & effort.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Be sure to scroll down to the end & check out Dr. Lustig's lecture - it's long, but so well worth the time & effort.
I'm downloading his talk right now! And when he describes the 'Texas sized' Big gulp, snickers bar, and bag of Doritos for 99 cents, that right there is Social Darwinism at work. If you're poor in America (and uneducated about sugar and nutrition) and all you have is a dollar to eat for the day, this is something you might buy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Great article, intresting info on fructose, i always heard that fructose was bad but I never really understood why.
Dr Lustig describes it is as a "dose dependent hepato-toxin". It is metabolised by the Liver in almost an identical way to ethanol/alcohol and much like alcohol: in small amounts it is harmless and may be beneficial but above a certain threshold it becomes "poison".

His position is that the total amount of fructose we ingest these days is way above that threshold.

In fruit it is at least buffered by fibre which helps to both slow the effect and minimise how much we take in... consider that a glass of OJ contains maybe the refined and concentrated Fructose from 4 oranges... now think about eating 4 whole oranges instead.

The problem is that there are so many sources of HFCS and Sucrose (both are Glucose + Fructose) in everything (from soda to hot-dogs to ketchup to bread) these days that we are just simply taking in to much.

If the full Dr Lustig presentation is just too long for you (although highly recommended) here is the "short version" by Sean of Underground Wellness...

Reactions: Shanny
G

·
and if you're ever interested in what exactly has fructose or a form of it... look up "low FODMAP diet" as it gives a list of all the fruit, vegetables, grains, legumes that has one of the 5 types of fructose. Plus all the sweetners ending with 'OL' are derived from fructose.... that's probably why some diabetics react to them.
:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Therefore if I am right, my advice to the non-diabetics when drinking soda is to have wheat bread or any other foods rich in fiber.... I wonder if this would work similarly as natural with how fruits works?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Therefore if I am right, my advice to the non-diabetics when drinking soda is to have wheat bread or any other foods rich in fiber.... I wonder if this would work similarly as natural with how fruits works?
Most of those other foods "rich in fiber" come with their own load of carbs.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having never even heard of issues associated with HFCS.... that's a awesome vid link, fgummett. Explains it very well..... I never knew that stuff was so bad for you! Ack...:(.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts