1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Environment Canada page for my area:

Warnings
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre
3:16 PM MDT Monday 30 May 2011
Frost warning for
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre issued

Patchy frost is expected along the foothills and in Central Alberta.

A cool, dry airmass and mainly clear skies will allow temperatures to dip to the freezing point through the foothills and portions of Central Alberta.​

Seriously?? It's supposed to be spring. Argh. Almost JUNE for freak's sake. It's currently 14C (57F), hit 15C (59F) a couple hours ago, but it's going to drop to -2C (28F) ...

This is stoopid.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
I'm stuck here in the hot, humid Southern US - feels like the tropics to someone used to Coastal CA - thinking I'll trade. You might not bite though - biking there has got to be a lot more pleasant than biking here!

·
Registered
716 Posts
beefy said:
From the Environment Canada page for my area:

Warnings
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre
3:16 PM MDT Monday 30 May 2011
Frost warning for
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre issued

Patchy frost is expected along the foothills and in Central Alberta.

A cool, dry airmass and mainly clear skies will allow temperatures to dip to the freezing point through the foothills and portions of Central Alberta.

Seriously?? It's supposed to be spring. Argh. Almost JUNE for freak's sake. It's currently 14C (57F), hit 15C (59F) a couple hours ago, but it's going to drop to -2C (28F) ...

This is stoopid.
Hey beefy your an AB - same live in Calgary I almost had to pull all the plants in last night.

O

·
0 Posts
that's what we've been getting here... but it is coming on to our winter so that is a fair call. We have had lots of rain this week which is a nice change. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey beefy your an AB - same live in Calgary I almost had to pull all the plants in last night.
Well, turned out it was better than expected. It only got to 4C here last night - so our flowers, etc., are all good.

Now they're calling for rain again though for Wed, Thursday and Friday. Grr... Had enough of that last week, LOL.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Well, here in hot, humid deep south US, it's supposed to go to 91F today and we could use some rain, but none on the radar yet. We've lost many big trees due to last years dryness...hope that goes away this year! My air conditioner runs like mad in this sort of heat!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'd take a little frost, right now. We have had 2 months or rain and now that it is sunny it is hot and humid. High today is supposed to be 92. Yikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
High today is supposed to be 92. Yikes.
I'll see your 92 and raise to 96 here in NC. Car A/C is broken, needs new compressor - going into shop tomorrow so I'll be going nowhere today!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll see your 92 and raise to 96 here in NC. Car A/C is broken, needs new compressor - going into shop tomorrow so I'll be going nowhere today!
Ow. This Canadian would M E L T

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
That's about where we're supposed to be by Memorial Day weekend ... maybe even higher, up into the low 100s.

The past few days have only brushed the 60s. And today, rain.

Not griping -- could be far worse. Still, plenty weird.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
That's about where we're supposed to be by Memorial Day weekend ... maybe even higher, up into the low 100s.
Oh - I thought you were in SF? In SF temps are usually in the 60's this time of year. You're in Silicon Valley then?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Oh - I thought you were in SF? In SF temps are usually in the 60's this time of year. You're in Silicon Valley then?
No, I'm across the Bay and over the hills from SF. The SF Bay Area is comprised of 9 counties (including Silicon Valley), and each little patch of land has its own micro-climate.

But SF should be a tad warmer now, too. And a lot drier, for sure!

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
Yeah, I realized later I hadn't read the second line and saw only SF - not my only duh moment of the day!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yeah, I realized later I hadn't read the second line and saw only SF - not my only duh moment of the day!
Aaaand, I only just read your location line too ... so we're even! :eek:

Uhhhhh ... howdy, near-neighbor!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I live in the Midwest and two weeks ago we had a severe thunderstorm rip through our area that knocked down 5 mature trees that were 50+ years old. One tree is so massive that my husband and a neighbor spent all day last Saturday with a chain saw trimming branches away in anticipation of taking the rest of the tree down. That didn't happen. We're going to have to find someone who does this for a living because this tree is just soooo big. Winds from that storm were 70+ mph. We're just grateful to have a roof still on our house. I'm not making light of frost warnings or high temperatures, but I'll take that anyday to the mess that we still have to clean up from that storm.

O

·
0 Posts
I live in the Midwest and two weeks ago we had a severe thunderstorm rip through our area that knocked down 5 mature trees that were 50+ years old. One tree is so massive that my husband and a neighbor spent all day last Saturday with a chain saw trimming branches away in anticipation of taking the rest of the tree down. That didn't happen. We're going to have to find someone who does this for a living because this tree is just soooo big. Winds from that storm were 70+ mph. We're just grateful to have a roof still on our house. I'm not making light of frost warnings or high temperatures, but I'll take that anyday to the mess that we still have to clean up from that storm.
those high wind storms are scary! We have a storm that's hitting our coast tonight... predicting 125 kph (77 mph) winds. It's supposed to start in our southwest and work it's way up to the city by midnight. We've had some tornados lately which is odd for us.... nothing like the big ones US gets though... but still damaging.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Tornadoes are horrible, no matter where they happen. Be careful and watch the sky carefully.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
Yeah, people ask all the time how we can manage living in California earthquake country, but we don't have the deaths that tornados cause.

I grew up in Western NC and then tornados were unheard of (at least I recall none.) Now, they come through periodically - it's very strange.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, here in Dothan, Alabama... it is 100 degrees right now! Says, it "feels like" 102, but I will just take their word on that one and be happy I have a inside job!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts