The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to see my doctor for a weekly Vitamin B12 shot. He asked how my sugars were looking, and I gave him my log book.

Commence a half hour lecture and now I am supposed to cut bread, rice and pasta out of my diet entirely.

I get that my sugar is really bad right now, but what in the heck am I supposed to eat???

I really don't know how this is going to work when I have a fiance and child to cook for who are grainphiliacs. They love their pastas and rice. A, my daughter, only eats a few foods because of her autism, and most of those are bread and pasta based. The Fiancé is asian and eats rice with everything... including pasta casseroles!
I am completely at a loss as to how this is going to work.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It could very well be that the best diet for you and your daughter is one and the same: a ketogenic diet.

The research is still preliminary with regard to autism but this diet has a high success rate (for the past 100 years) with juvenile epilepsy and there are hundreds of T2 diabetics reporting astonishing success with it. There is also ongoing research at NIH and elsewhere about its possibilities for treating Alzheimer's, brain tumors and other things.

Autism & the Ketogenic Diet

(I am one of those experiencing amazing success with diabetes using essentially this diet.)

Salim Morgan, T2
58 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: 24 minute bike ride 5 days/wk
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 11

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at the ketogenic and GFCF diets for my daughter. Sadly, getting her to eat something new is like beating my head with a lead pipe (and about as fun).
I'm willing to change, but she literally refused to eat anything for three days and then fainted from lack of foods. She super under-weight as it is. We've been told not to mess with her diet again for a long while. (Thanks though!)

As for me... I guess I will just have to find a way to cope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
May I inquire what medication the Dr. has prescribed for you.

To Smorgan
yes gave me pause to wonder about Eskimo and Inuit culture going completely ketonic 9 or 10 months of the year. Seems the brain starts using ketones as the fuel source after ~12 days of ketosis, never occurred to me
before to be in a constant state of Ketosis I will do further googling.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There are all kinds of things you can still eat! When you make something for your family, can you not just eat the rice / pasta part of it? Just eat the meat and veggies.

I cook the same meal for my husband and my children, and they eat the same low-carb / primal diet I do. We use cauliflower instead of rice and potatoes, turnips instead of potatoes, spaghetti squash or zucchini instead of pasta.

Maybe if you make something like stir fry, just steam some extra cauliflower for yourself... your fiancé can eat it over his rice, and you can eat it over the cauliflower. If you make burgers or fajitas, you can put the fillings in a nice leafy piece of lettuce, and he can use a bun or tortilla. If they are having pasta, slice up some zucchini noodles and sauté, or make some spaghetti squash for yourself.

There are lots of things that would be easy to adapt for yourself... if you want to give us ideas of what you guys usually eat, maybe we can help?

One of my sons is a picky eater, but he's getting better... but I've learned to adapt for him through the years...and while I know it's not the same as your situation...I might have some tricks up my sleeve you can use for reducing the amount of work in your meals for feeding everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now I'm on 26 units of Lantus (which is going up ever 3 days until my fasting blood sugar gets to under 6) and a sliding scale of Humalog with a base of 7 units.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I sympathise my son is autistic and now 28 years old...he spent 2 years eating nothing but bananas and yoghurt...the doctor *shakes me head* suggested starving him till he ate what I wanted him to....um clearly he never had to deal with autism! It takes a long time...and very slowly to gently move his diet to being a little more balanced...I know how difficult it can be and I'm happy to talk to you (privately if you prefer) any time.

As far as anyone else in your life...they need to be supportive :) I compromise by having a lot of food prepared in the freezer...I eat my curry over mixed veg (in portions in the freezer) and my family have rice ...but...sometimes they opt for what I'm having...I think the big help is having lots of foods already prepped and ready to go...it helps when life gets stressful and too many people to care for so you leave yourself to last...in fact you should be first...first because it doesn't work without you being healthy...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are all kinds of things you can still eat! When you make something for your family, can you not just eat the rice / pasta part of it? Just eat the meat and veggies.
I think at this point that's the plan. I'm just worried because we eat a lot of casseroles and pasta dishes. That's basically our staples.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sympathise my son is autistic and now 28 years old...he spent 2 years eating nothing but bananas and yoghurt...the doctor *shakes me head* suggested starving him till he ate what I wanted him to....um clearly he never had to deal with autism! It takes a long time...and very slowly to gently move his diet to being a little more balanced...I know how difficult it can be and I'm happy to talk to you (privately if you prefer) any time.

As far as anyone else in your life...they need to be supportive :) I compromise by having a lot of food prepared in the freezer...I eat my curry over mixed veg (in portions in the freezer) and my family have rice ...but...sometimes they opt for what I'm having...I think the big help is having lots of foods already prepped and ready to go...it helps when life gets stressful and too many people to care for so you leave yourself to last...in fact you should be first...first because it doesn't work without you being healthy...
I would love advice on helping to change my daughter's diet. She does better than a lot of kids at her therapy, but it would make me so happy to see her eat a vegetable now and then!!

So far, my fiancé has been really helpful. I guess it's the whole, getting my head around the idea that's left me feeling so shaken.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I've been in ketosis for a full year and in and out for the year before that (I was still getting the hang of it) and LOVING it. Every single health issue and measure is vastly improved. I couldn't even finish listing them. I feel great all the time and have non-diabetic numbers - BG and A1C - without any meds.

BTW, I believe the traditional Inuit were in ketosis all the time every month of the year. Most of the modern ones have moved to towns and adopted a high-carb diet and now have larger rates of heart disease and diabetes than even the white folks who taught them to eat like that.

To Smorgan
yes gave me pause to wonder about Eskimo and Inuit culture going completely ketonic 9 or 10 months of the year. Seems the brain starts using ketones as the fuel source after ~12 days of ketosis, never occurred to me
before to be in a constant state of Ketosis I will do further googling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have looked at the ketogenic and GFCF diets for my daughter. Sadly, getting her to eat something new is like beating my head with a lead pipe (and about as fun).
I'm willing to change, but she literally refused to eat anything for three days and then fainted from lack of foods. She super under-weight as it is. We've been told not to mess with her diet again for a long while. (Thanks though!)

As for me... I guess I will just have to find a way to cope.
So sad a perfectly viable solution for both of you it would be a wonderful opportunity for a shared mother daughter experience
Killing two birds with one stone comes to mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts