The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, when would be the best time to take my 3 times daily of metformin. As of now I take breakfast, lunch and supper. Should I take one of them before bedtime ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have a question, when would be the best time to take my 3 times daily of metformin. As of now I take breakfast, lunch and supper. Should I take one of them before bedtime ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes
If you need to take it with food, then you're kinda restricted to mealtime. I take 1000mg twice a day (2000mg total); as soon as I get up & just before I go to bed. Sometimes with food, sometimes not - I seem to have a castiron stomach. If you don't get gastric upset taking it on an empty stomach, I think you could tinker with the timing & see what gives you the lowest readings. Just don't skip doses . . . once it gets built up to full functioning, you need to keep it running at top levels.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
when i was taking metformin, i was told to take it in the evening

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My doctor increased my metformin 500 ER. He has on the instructions to take it at the same time in the evening? I don't understand the increases on Metformin ER? Why take all the Met at one time?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I also take metform 3 times a day. I started out at meal times and it wasn't working that good. I started experimenting with different times. Someone on another formum mentioned they take theirs right before bed. So I started and it did make a difference. My bgs tend to be highest between 7 am - noon. So I take one right when I wake up, then another around 10:30 and the last one before bed. Taking those 2 doses in the morning help avoid the spikes I was getting before lunch. Metformin tends to build up in your system and my doctor told me it made no difference when I took it but I did find it lowered my bgs when I took it before I normally got spikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts