The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okies I have a question that everyone probably already knows the answer to. What in the universe do you use with dips? Like if you have guacamole what do you do? Just eat it plain? Or if you have hummus do you eat it with celery or what?

I am totally flummoxed over what to replace chips and crackers with (that I will actually want to eat)!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Two words: the Optimist Cracker http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/6581-crackers.html

Before this cracker of our very own Optimist, I was doing cheese crisps (cut cheese into small squares, bake), zucchini almond meal things, and who knows what else. I've forgotten because really - this cracker is the bomb.

If you cook nothing, cook it. The hardest part is smoothing it out on a baking sheet, so you know this is not challenging cooking! It's a mix/spread/bake - and everyone who has tasted it has asked for the recipe.

I'm preparing for a cross-country trip and will be making a huge batch for the journey. Have also alerted friends en route - er, when I get there, I'll be baking some, um, crackers ....

My provisions when eating out of the cooler (most of the time) will involve a great variety of things, with the major staple this cracker.

You won't be sorry.

Reactions: annsrum and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Same drill here as Moon did . . . all kinds of cheese crisps, until Optimist posted her crackers. Nothing else needed now - these crackers are the be-all and end-all.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I usually use raw veggies or crackers I have made myself. One of my favorite recipes is Nacho Cheese Chips (using almond flour) | Comfy Belly

Be careful of some dips like hummus, it is very easy to overeat. I had some yesterday with cukes and peppers and was way too high most of the day.

Reactions: annsrum and foxl

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks!

Okies I will check out Optimist's crackers. Also thanks for the info on hummus. :) I am being pretty tentative about what I eat right now since I do not know what to eat much yet. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Pork rinds! My favorite snack is hot artichoke dip with pork rinds...they work well with other stuff too.

I just use guac on tacos, where I use lettuce instead of a taco "shell", or I just put it on top of some chicken.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Okies I have a question that everyone probably already knows the answer to. What in the universe do you use with dips? Like if you have guacamole what do you do? Just eat it plain? Or if you have hummus do you eat it with celery or what?

I am totally flummoxed over what to replace chips and crackers with (that I will actually want to eat)!
I've used celery with hummus and it was actually pretty good. For most other "dippables" I just end up using a spoon. Surprisingly, I got used to is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use raw veggies with dips like hummus, and put guac and salsa on chicken breast or a lamb "burger" with no bun. I seem to tolerate a little bit of carbs, especially when paired with something with a bit of fat, so once a month or so I'll splurge with a small amount of chips (either corn or baked potato) with salsa or hummus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts