The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very rough month.. personal issues.. that are unbelievable and not a fun situation but my problem is this....

I have finally found a endo that I love.. a PCP that listens to me.. and NOW I will not have insurance very soon (going through a divorce) . And I am NOT sure that I will have enough cash to actually cobra the insurance.. SO you can see my problem as most of you all know that your Dr's make a difference in your care, which I learned very early on in this learning to adapt process! Do any of you in have any suggestions as to what and how I can go about keeping my Dr's and my meds without going broke? I mean it will literally come down to eating or insulin.. Gotta love it when your husband of 15 yrs cheats and you get the shaft once again!!! Hurry up 2009 cause 2008 has been HORRIBLE!! lol

Anyways I know most of the info above is one of those TMI's (too much info) but I am at a loss as to what to do ...

Thanks to any and all ideas..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
How awful!! I'm Very sorry to hear that news Meg. You must be gong through Hell. Divorce proceedings are rarely pleasant. The stress is probably giving your sugar levels a yo-yo or high affect.

I don't live in the US so I don't know much about the help that is probably there for meds, etc. when a is Person is "inbetween".

Since your Husband committed adultry doesn't he have to pay you alimony/and or wouldn't he have to make the Cobra payments for you? I
will presume(no you didn't supply too much information)that some of your Kids are still at home and that you have custody of 1 or more of them.

If this is so, it only seems right that he should have to be responsible for making sure that you have all of your meds so that you can continue to look after his Kids. If this is not voluntary then his wages should be garnished.

Some possible temporary help and maybe not in your situation....sorry:

1. Going to any Emergency since lack of Insulin/meds are.
2. Medicaid/Medicare?
3. American Diabetes Association must know of places that give temporary help or continuing help.
4. If you have any other conditions/diseases that would qualify you for Disability, now could be the time. I know over here even if a Person's Spouse(snce your not divorced yet) makes over the limit allowed, even though the Person is not allowed a pension payment they are still allowed to get their drugs free by the Extended Drug Program, if they want.
5. I had heard that medical clinics in the US give a one time free meds. Not sure if that is true.
6. Northwest Community Hospital: Diabetes Services They should be able to direct you.
7. https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php
8. Some Pharm companies that make our drugs have some free med programs. One is Eli Lilly and Company ? Patient Assistance Programs .
9. DPRXCard.com - Free DP Prescription Card I think that's from Costco. If you don't have a Costco card you can still get meds there.
10. http://www.wow-coupons.com/all-printable-retail-coupons.php(some have money off and some have 10%-60% off meds.
11. I think IPump - About Us gives one time free Insulin/strips.
12. Patient Assistance Programs - Frequently Asked Questions

There is a few anyways. Sorry, I can't be of much help there. I wish you the Best before 2009 hits. ;)

Those are Terrific photos of you btw. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terrie,

You always make me smile!! Thank you dear.. I will look into all of those tomorrow.. as for him cheating there is NOTHING that can be done cause as it is NOT very moral it is NOT illegal in Illinois. Plus it is such a pain to try to prove in a divorce.. I just figure it this way .. I want out and want out NOW.. In a sense what he did was play with my health while he played a game and I am SOOOO not into that!

I knew if there would be a place to ask this would be it.. And when I got my last tattoo I had NO idea the impact of the words that are scrolled on it!! lol I am sooo looking forward to starting my new life.. and being single ( I know odd huh) after 15 yrs ... been with the guy since I was 16 yrs old.. Oh well what he cast away as trash someone else will pick up as treasure..

Thanks for the comment on my pics.. figured it was time to let everyone see what I looked like lol Thanks again Terrie

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi: :)

Not illegal?? You live in the wrong state. Shucks! I thought for sure he admitted to it and handed you the video tape. :mad: I hope the rest goes smoothly for you and your Kids.

Undoubtedly, it would be interesting to be single for a while for someone who wants out of a relationship. Some Women(and Men) don't remarry since they feel they had enough the first time around....or second. Just take your time and look after YOU. Seeing your photo though(Good looker), you may have to beat them off with a frying pan....soon! :D

I remember we were at a Friend's place and he had his scanner on. A
report had been called in where an old Lady was chasing her Husband down the street with a cast iron frying pan. (In our city, no less. :rolleyes: ) Hmmm....I wonder what he did wrong? I couldn't believe it. I thought that that was just an old frying pan joke but it actually happens. :eek:

Welcome to your New Life. All the Best to you.

You're Very Welcome. ;) Good, I Love Smiles!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is rather funny cause I moved about an hr south of where I was living.. and of course to make himself feel better (or make me think I can't do it) he told me that NO man will want me (physically) cause I have had 4 kids and that having 4 kids will deter any man.. well my thought process is this.. I am 31 yrs old.. I may not be "placed"(haha) where I was years ago but if a man is wanting to be with me for my looks then that is one man I do NOT want a part of.. I am not sure where this life will take me BUT I can say this.. it has to get better .. And I have met some very nice people in my apartment complex who have been very supportive and kinda funny that when your NOT looking for anything and you meet someone who makes you feel better about yourself .. how when you look at them and say "one day at a time" and they smile and say " exactly" then you know you can take your time without anyone getting hurt in the end, if or when or how there might be an end.

I have done some real soul searching and deep thinking over the last few months and I have found myself and am happy with myself.. my flaws, my wild ways and also the best parts of me... So no worries this will NOT bring me down.. and I am free to be me not what someone else wanted me to be for years. As a matter of fact Terrie (hehe) I went and did something totally crazy wild for me this weekend ..something I wanted for along time that the X didn't want me to do .. check your email I will tell ya!!! lol And once again Thank you dear...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two Cents' Worth

Meg

This may come off as insensitive from someone you do not know. I hope not. I have been happily married for 35 years -- very fortunate and blessed to have her. However, my wife has several close girl friends and understands very well how things can go South. If my memory serves me correctly, she has told me that 15 years of marriage automatically entitles the wife to half of everything regardless of her share of the income over the years.

My cheap advice is to get the best attorney you can find for this because you are going to have to foot it on your own for awhile. I think you will find that an attorney can give you a lot better answers to these real situations you are faced with than I can.

reido

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Meg, there is something I have noticed during the 26 months I have been posting on these diabetes sites. I can think of about at least 8 diabetic ladies whose husbands have cheated on them and, in most cases, a divorce followed. I have not ever known of a diabetic male whose wife cheated on him. Is that because males are more private and are therefore very unlikely to post it online? I would NEVER cheat on my wife whether she was diabetic or not. We have been happily married for 44 years. Do you think that a woman's being diabetic woulld cause her spouse to cheat? I cannot see what diabetes would have to do with it. Maybe it is just a coincidence and the cheating would still have occurred even if the ladies had not been diabetics. It has happened to several of my friends and I find it very disturbing.

I hope you don't mind me making this post. You are very open about what is happening in your life or I would not have written this message. Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No way would I mind Richard.. I have to say that if I look back on it maybe I did "slack" a little as a wife when I first got sick.. but I mean I still maintained the home.. the kids.. cooked 3 meals a day... the yardwork and still found time to give him a little attention here and there.. Now I am not sure if it had anything to do with it or not but I do know this.. either way after 15 yrs it shouldn't have happened.. I can see with how sick I had gotten that maybe I missed a few signs that it was going on but once I woke up and hit reality (thanks to insulin lol) I can't be happier without him.. I still take care of all of my kids, work full time now, my kids are in various after school sports and in 8 wks he has only taken them for 1 wkend.. so either he just lost touch with being a family man OR it was that easy to walk away ... either way .. I sure don't turn my head back and look anymore...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts