The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am not supposed to drink much diet soda, but I get real sick of water and crystal light. What do all of you drink?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
One of my favorites is diet Lipton green tea with citrus, but it has some caffeine, just so you know. I also use unsweetened natural almond milk & it's a decent substitute for cows milk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know I am not supposed to drink much diet soda, but I get real sick of water and crystal light. What do all of you drink?
Three great options other than water and unsweetened iced tea:

Zevia brand natural soda. You can get them online or at Whole Foods. All natural and sweetened with stevia. Cola, Orange, Root Beer, "Dr. Zevia", Ginger Ale and Black Cherry. They are great.

"Steaz" brand green tea sodas are great too. Green tea based and sweetened with stevia.

"True" Lemon, Lime and Orange powders. Its actual crystalized fruit. each packet is the equivalent to one wedge of fruit. They are not sweetened and go great in plain water or seltzer. Put two packets of lemon in water , sweeten with truvia and you have a lemonade! You can find these near the sugar or powdered drinks (crystal light type stuff) in the supermarket.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used to drink way too much pop. Water always upset my stomach so I turned to pop. But in the last year I have found these little packets of flavoring's to add to 16 oz of water. Propel makes some in different flavors that I like. Roughly 10 calories, 3 grams carbs and 2 grams sugars. Be careful some of them out there have stuff we don't want so READ THE LABEL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might I ask why we shouldn't drink too much diet soda? I am not thinking of bucket-fulls, but a few a day isn't bad for you, is it? what is bad in them and how much is too much?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Might I ask why we shouldn't drink too much diet soda? I am not thinking of bucket-fulls, but a few a day isn't bad for you, is it? what is bad in them and how much is too much?
+1 I live on diet coke. coffee also has no carbs but caffeine in it may cause a spike. I like arizona diet green tea w/ ginseng tasty, kinda good for my sugars and usually 99 cents

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I cut down on diet pop, due both to BPA (can liners), and the COST (3 kids and neighborhood friends!!!).

I like the crystal light, and keep about 8 flavors on hand so I do not get too bored with any.

Other than that, coffee, tea, almond milk (the chocolate is good in place hot cocoa, too! I add splenda syrup and cream) ... sometimes I drink diet gingerale, but now my daughter is onto it and will plow through it ... :mad: so not much of that either!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the "Waist Watchers" (not weight-watchers) brand of diet soda which is made with Splenda and has no aspartame (there's more and more evidence coming out about the woes of aspartame) caffeine, sugar, or sodium. The Vanilla cream soda and Black Cherry are very good.

Here's the link:
Waist Watcher Beverages

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I drink water and when I am really thirsty I drink water. BUt every once in a while I like to drink something with flavor so I have a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge. Mix a squirt of lemon juice, art sweetner, water, ice, works for me. I may also be guilty of switching the water for selzter water and a couple ounces of Jim Beam in the evening. Wrong thread

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been trying to drink the 8 glasses of water a day, & failing miserably until I started drinking tea

I can easily drink 5 cups a day, with little to no sugar (depending on what type)
I have about 40 different flavours & types, so there's a nice variation. Some teas are really nice cold, if that's what you're looking for, especially fruit teas (I actually prefer the blueberry cold - I'll put it in the window for about half an hour before drinking it) :D

I stay away from pop because of my teeth, & because I don't like milk, so I need to make every little bit of calcium count ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I drink coffee, tea and yes I do drink a couple of diet sodas a day. It hasn't affected me so far. I try to drink water, which I know is the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Ice Tea maker and I use Splenda. (Could use any sweetner you like) Makes 3 qts and I can pre-sweeten as it is brewing so it's ready to drink in about 5 minutes. I fill empty water bottles with it and bring to work.

Newfer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. Coffee can produce glucose spikes? I have not heard that nor experienced it. I drink at least 5 cups per day (no sugar though)...my main drink. Juice for breakfast and milk for lunch and dinner but coffee is my main staple (vice).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a general rule that I drink at least one glass of water between any other drink I have. (Kind of goes out the window once the wine is open!)

I'm a coffee lover which creates a spike so I limit myself to one great cup a day.

I only enjoy the water if it's really cold too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts