The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Interesting. Coffee can produce glucose spikes? I have not heard that nor experienced it. I drink at least 5 cups per day (no sugar though)...my main drink. Juice for breakfast and milk for lunch and dinner but coffee is my main staple (vice).
In some people it can . . . in others not. I still drink one large mug (16 oz) of caffeinated most days, and I drink it with heavy cream. The only time I thought coffee was spiking me was when I was "spiking" IT with non-dairy-creamer, which in turn was spiking ME with all its corn syrup solids & other carby ingredients! So no more creamer in this house . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
In some people it can . . . in others not. I still drink one large mug (16 oz) of caffeinated most days, and I drink it with heavy cream. The only time I thought coffee was spiking me was when I was "spiking" IT with non-dairy-creamer, which in turn was spiking ME with all its corn syrup solids & other carby ingredients! So no more creamer in this house . . .
Interesting. I didn't know that either, although I generally use skim milk. The only time I use the "powders" is in the hotel when I am traveling.
I am also interested to know if you can tell me the downside or negative effect of scotch (neat) if you happen to know. This is my "drink" of choice when I decide it's time to imbibe.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know that either, although I generally use skim milk. The only time I use the "powders" is in the hotel when I am traveling.
I am also interested to know if you can tell me the downside or negative effect of scotch (neat) if you happen to know. This is my "drink" of choice when I decide it's time to imbibe.
It won't raise bg . . . no carbs there. But it can lower bg, so the thing to watch is whether it drops you TOO low. Just take it with food & test carefully.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to drink alot of soda during the day, mostly Coke and Ginger Ale, a hazard of a company that provided it all for free. Since I started working from home, I've stuck mostly to water and coffee, with occasional sodas and alot of juice (esp 100% grapefruit juice).

Since I've gone off the hard candy obsession and the fruit juices, when I get a craving, I'll add lime or lemon juice to my water. I've also been drinking Fresca alot. I know if I have to go on medication I may have to give that up because of grapefrui.t interactions. Luckily it doesn't interact with my blood pressure meds.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts