The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted in wrong section earlier.hope for some answers here .i take 4x500 metforin plus 30 lantus also 18 16 18 novorapid a day i am type 2. i have read elsewere i am being treated replace treapy as a type 1 would be is this true any help would be great .also is this because the pancras has virtualy stopped working. answers please

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ether you pancreases beta cells have stopped working or your insulin resistant both are treated the same.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
posted in wrong section earlier.hope for some answers here .i take 4x500 metforin plus 30 lantus also 18 16 18 novorapid a day i am type 2. i have read elsewere i am being treated replace treapy as a type 1 would be is this true any help would be great .also is this because the pancras has virtualy stopped working. answers please
The metformin is used to treat insulin resistance. Type 2 diabetics are mostly all insulin resistant to varying degrees. Your taking insulin because your body is not producing enough to satisfy what your body needs. Either your beta cells in your pancreas are not producing a normal amount...or you are so insulin resistant that it cant keep up with your body's need.

I am type 2 and take insulin and metformin. At one time my pancreas was producing a normal amount of insulin but my resistance was so high I couldnt use what it made. Eventually, my beta cells have failed and I no longer produce much insulin on my own at all.

The only way to really tell if your pancreas is producing is for them to do a c-peptide test. That will show if the pancreas is producing a normal amount of insulin or not.

So, you are still being treated as a type 2....just one that requires supplemental insulin injections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts