The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 mg/dl just before starting to eat dinner...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After breakfast, lunch and snacks but before dinner...

I don't understand the question...maybe I'm senile like Jim says he is???????
Pardon me Patdart; If I could only rephrase my Title... anyways, I just would wanna capture the Blood Glucose after the whole day activities and food intakes but before having dinner...

I don't know if I'm making sense, but I have been monitoring my FBS mostly every morning or before my day starts and now I wan't to capture my blood glucose after the whole day affair excluding dinner...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
79 mg/dl at 5:45 p.m.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Thanks. Now I see what you are up to. Since I'm always telling people the only 'dumb' question is one not asked...may I ask why? What will you learn from that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What will you learn from that?
This question seems to know something that I do not know... as I've said, I don't know if I'm making sense on this; does someone care to enlighten me?

or maybe I'm a little bit senile but I think if one eats low GI foods from breakfast, lunch and snacks wouldn't it make any difference to eating with high GI foods? - will it have the same test results on the glucose before dinner? (will this be a gauge on how we lived earlier our day?)

Anyways, I just had a 99 mg/dl before dinner and that's about an hour after a wheat bread cracker. I had full cream milks, a little bit of cake & spaghetti, 2 bananas, vegetables, chicken, squash, pork meat, corn chips, mixed nuts and I tested some of these and the most I got was a 136 mg/dl after 1'30" hour and down to 103 mg/dl after 2 hours.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
78 mg/dl today... tried coffee but that was 4 hours ago. Had chickens and pork. Peanuts and apples.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
175 mg/dl before dinner at 8:54 p.m. but 1 hr. & 1/2 FBS from eating bread (sweet!!!)...

what confuses me as I've always suspect is that, to go on with it, I eat 2 cups of rice and an hour after specifically 10:10 p.m. I registered at 143 mg/dl... going down even after the 175 mg/dl start??? whew!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
102 tonight.... hours after lechon and cashew nuts...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Mine is HORRIBLE in the evening -- I suspect b/c my Levemir wears off then. When I split it though it overlapped and I felt nauseated (not hypo, just nauseated!). So I know need to do a better job of controlling pm numbers with my rapid, till my next shot of Lev!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I went to bed with a 6.6 woke with a 5.5 and now 1 hour after cherry blueberry flax meal iso whey yogurt I am 7.8 and probably climbing. Is there some definition to taking a hit or spiking. I expect to come up short of 9 then start dropping. I guess if I did away with the 4 cherries and blueberries I would be a few points less but missing some antioxidants and mmmm flavor

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I went to bed with a 6.6 woke with a 5.5 and now 1 hour after cherry blueberry flax meal iso whey yogurt I am 7.8 and probably climbing. Is there some definition to taking a hit or spiking. I expect to come up short of 9 then start dropping. I guess if I did away with the 4 cherries and blueberries I would be a few points less but missing some antioxidants and mmmm flavor
Do you ever worry that your antioxidants & flavor might be causing more damage than they're worth? I would dearly love to have your bedtime & fasting numbers - not sure why you'd want to sabotage that. I try to stay under 7.7 (140) at all times, so ANYTHING higher than that I call a spike, and I stop eating whatever takes me higher.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Do you ever worry that your antioxidants & flavor might be causing more damage than they're worth? I would dearly love to have your bedtime & fasting numbers - not sure why you'd want to sabotage that. I try to stay under 7.7 (140) at all times, so ANYTHING higher than that I call a spike, and I stop eating whatever takes me higher.
Also, rather than saying never...you may find that you tolerate these fruits better later in the day. I just can't eat many carbs in the morning!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I'm in the midst of a fruit mini-crisis. I started this journey wailing about giving up fruit in nearly every post. That has been the hardest part.

I've given up all fruit except berries, but lately have been over-eating them. They're prolific now of course, and in my CSA box every week. Some didn't have an effect, eating lots (though not nearly what I typically would) is now showing up on my meter - nothing disastrous, nothing over 130, but I try to keep my numbers far below that. My overall average has crept up from 97 to 105.

Am struggling with the best balance of diet, numbers, enjoyment - and of course good health. smorgan wrote an excellent post I wish I could find about how we got here, and how carbs were burning out our pancreas en route even while we had 'normal' blood glucose readings, and that the process continues even when we test in decent range. <calling smorgan - can you repost, re-explain> It all made sad sense.

So that's now always in my mind, but I'm not as fully ecstatic about extreme low-carb as smorgan or some others are. I've found great new things to eat, my bs is not out of control, and I feel (relatively) great. I'm doing this. But ... I'm still drawn to fruit and some other foods, and perhaps struggling with - and occasionally moving - the fruit line in the sand is just what I'm destined to do.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
The one I miss most is grapefruit. I so love grapefruit. :(
Yeah, that's what made me give up even trying, when 1/2 a grapefruit spiked me 50 points ... I'm an orange nut too, and watermelon, and moist and sweet ... <passing out>

Editing to add: It was grapefruit withdrawal that made me buy this: Sparkling ICE Spring Water, Pink Grapefruit, 33.8-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 15): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food It's not bad, and a few times/wk I have a glass in the AM, hypnotizing myself to believe it's fresh grapefruit juice.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep, and I was never happy with just HALF a grapefruit - I cut the whole thing into wedges & ate 'em with a dash of salt. MMMmmmm!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
85 mg/dl just before starting to eat dinner...
This is a good idea but it uses a lot of strips up. For the first six months following my diagnosis I tested six times a day - fasting, 1 hour after breakfast, just before lunch, one hour after, just before dinner and finally two hours after dinner. This helped the OH spot what spiked me and what I could get away with. Like Shanny I loved grapefruit - but now it's forbidden fruit :Cry:.

The tests gave us a few surprises but generally we very quickly learned what to avoid. Come this March, the doctor started getting twitchy about the number of test strips I was going through, so we've dropped the pre-meal tests and rely on the post prandial figures to identify when we need to review the previous meal.

Your idea works - go for it. This morning I started on 88, one hour after breakfast a rather high (for me) 109.

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is a good idea but it uses a lot of strips up. For the first six months following my diagnosis I tested six times a day - fasting, 1 hour after breakfast, just before lunch, one hour after, just before dinner and finally two hours after dinner. This helped the OH spot what spiked me and what I could get away with. Like Shanny I loved grapefruit - but now it's forbidden fruit :Cry:.

The tests gave us a few surprises but generally we very quickly learned what to avoid. Come this March, the doctor started getting twitchy about the number of test strips I was going through, so we've dropped the pre-meal tests and rely on the post prandial figures to identify when we need to review the previous meal.

Your idea works - go for it. This morning I started on 88, one hour after breakfast a rather high (for me) 109.

John
Thanks John.in.France ... sort of just trying to understand the behavior of my Blood Sugar... yup! you're right! so that someday I can just rely on my BG trend and by that time minimize the testing after knowing much better on the do's and don't.

I tested 81 mg/dl tonight before dinner and earlier had coffee and oatmeal cookies (1 & 1/2) during a meeting... earlier in the day were full cream milk, vegetables, peanuts, raw cardava banana and a little bit of meat.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Thanks John.in.France ... sort of just trying to understand the behavior of my Blood Sugar... yup! you're right! so that someday I can just rely on my BG trend and by that time minimize the testing after knowing much better on the do's and don't.

I tested 81 mg/dl tonight before dinner and earlier had coffee and oatmeal cookies (1 & 1/2) during a meeting... earlier in the day were full cream milk, vegetables, peanuts, raw cardava banana and a little bit of meat.
Ok, this is my opinion - the following are High Carb by my definition -
  • The cookies, (oatmeal best of a bad lot!),
  • Milk (have the cream, leave the milk),
  • Peanuts - NO WAY José - have ANYTHING else in the nut family.
  • Banana - not noted as low carb, but the species seems to make a huge difference. With me - bananas from the Caribbean I seem to handle ok but if they're from West Africa my numbers shoot for the sky!
But we're all different - what works for me is almost certainly different from what suits you - back to Test, test and test some more.

Good luck, John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts