The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
6241 - 6260 of 7025 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
103 (5.71) this morning. Maybe went a little overboard on the Taco Salad last night :vs_smile:
A wildfire broke out last evening about 20+ miles to the South of here and at that time I was just concerned about the smoke but we have heavy winds and over night there have been over 100 homes lost and the fire has burned 11 miles in this direction so it is now becoming a worry. Heavy winds to continue today and unfortunately in this direction. Obviously keeping an eye on how it is progressing.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
@walkerwally1 - is this the Erskine fire? Scary how it moved last night. Sending good thoughts, hoping for no wind and containment asap!

Reactions: Kathryn Mc

·
Registered
799 Posts
135 - don't know why I bounce from 109 to 135 alternating days.

Wally, just have your emergency pack ready to go. That's about all you can do.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
@moon, yes this is the Erskine fire. Yeah, it is scary how fast it moved. Right now the BLM reports the fire has burned 19,000 acres and 100 structures including 80 homes. Fortunately, for here, the wind is much lighter than yesterday and blowing South West which is in the opposite direction. Still keeping a watchful eye on it. Our mail carrier had to evacuate last night and does not know yet if she has a home to go back to.
Yes Bunjee, important papers etc. are in the car. Every thing else is insured.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
92 (5.1) this partly cloudy breezy morning, 96 (5.32). Feeling punk, have a deep chest cough that hurts.

@wally, be safe! When I lived in the Sierras in Northern CA there were many times I had my car packed with valuables and important papers for days. Every time I'd leave I'd say good bye to my little house as it might not be there when I got back. Situations can change so fast!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh, Wally, my thoughts are with you. My mom lost her home and everything in the big Oakland Hills Fire years ago; it was horrible and fast. So many lives were lost, too. Good luck; I'm so glad you are prepared.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
A 76 (4.2) this morning.

Many times I've wished for you some rain. Now I'm wishing for you a lot of rain. Stay safe. I hope you have a few alternate routes of escape if needed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
91, happy! If I knew how to achieve these low to me numbers, I'd do it all the time. This just confirms really how little I know about how what I eat or drink, when and to what extent I exercise influences what my FBG will be the following morning.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
88 (4.88) this morning. Fire news here so far is good. It's hard to get up to date information and that is frustrating. Last update was last night at 6:00 PM and then it was 30,000 acres and is the largest fire in California so far this season. Fortunately winds have abated and the fire is not moving as fast and mostly in the opposite direction from here. This is what we live with in the mountains and five years of drought make it much more dangerous. Sadly it is suspected that this fire was arson but that hasn't been confirmed.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
Okay, I liked your post because it seems you're safe, but the general devastation and arson are sad to hear.

A close friend was in the Butte fire last year. They had 20 acres in a development of 10-acre parcels. She's a Master Gardener and had landscaped, irrigated, and deer-netted 10 acres. The fire took out everything on the land and surrounding homes, sparing theirs. That was bad news because now they're stuck with a home in the middle of black and brown that's not saleable - and marijana growers have moved in because of all the septics and wells on otherwise not-usable properties.

So, in her case, losing her home would have been far better. Those who did were able to use the insurance $$ to move on and restart their lives.

·
Registered
698 Posts
84 this morning, and I've been soaking everything before the heat of the day. At the moment I have an excess of green beans and cucumbers; fortunately many folks receive them with open arms.
Last night I heard of the death of a very dear old friend. I'm trying to accept that he really isn't here any more. It's hard to grasp.

·
Registered
294 Posts
182. Came up to the my mom's cabin in the mountains for the weekend - Arnold - which was relatively close to the Butte fire last year. My aunt who lives up here full time was evacuated (but luckily that was it) - sorry you have to deal with the same Wally but glad you are ok.

Moon, sorry to hear about your friend, so devastating.

And Kathryn, my sincere condolences on the loss of your good friend. Sending virtual hugs to you. xo

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
113, makes no sense at all. I've said it before, "it is what it is" I made Paleo Shrimp Pad Thai for dinner last night. No noodles, I left out the honey, used bacon fat instead of almond butter. It was extremely LC but really good.

·
Registered
698 Posts
45 this morning. Thank you, Kris...you are a sweetie.
I'm digging around the lime tree, and appreciating its little dark green baby fruits. across the way is the large Meyers lemon, also happily bearing tiny fruits for fall and winter. The humming birds are loving the lavender and Rose of Sharon, and I am loving it all.
My housemate got some more pond lilies from a friend, as well as some more Water Hyacinth, so we're not giving up on water plants. Maybe we just have to have enough to satisfy the appetites of the marauders, as well as our own need for floating flowers drifting outside the windows.
Enjoy this beautiful Sunday.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
111 (6.15) this morning. Not quite sure where that came from. It's not that bad but I only hope I am not coming down with something. I have another Mose surgery tomorrow for a skin cancer, not sure how many that will make, I have lost count.
Kathryn, so sorry for the loss of your friend. It is always difficult.
Moon, tough about your friend. Yes, sometimes, as long as you are insured it is better to have the place burn down and rebuild, or you can move on. One of the problems nowadays is that some insurance companies require you to rebuild and you don't get the money. We checked and ours is not that way but some in town have found that out after their place burned.

Fire news is again not too bad, at least from our perspective. Latest info is 150 homes destroyed and 75 damaged. Fire now covers 36,810 acres and yesterday was 35, 700 acres. Winds were not too bad and were mostly North East which is in the opposite direction from here. The scary thing was that the first day, due to very high winds the fire moved 12 miles in our direction and was only 12 miles away at that time. Fortunately the winds have been much less and mostly in the other direction.

·
Registered
799 Posts
135 this morning. Had a snack late last night and forgot to bolus. So, was kindof high most of the night (160s at 4 a.m.). Sigh.

Kathryn, your FBG always seems to be so low in the morning. Is that normal for you? If not, what do you do to try to solve it?

Wally, glad you are still safe and sound. Hope that continues.

AuntiKriss - I'm glad to see a reading under 200 for you!!

Funny story: I'm so accustomed to higher numbers that when I got an 89 after lunch one day, I panicked. Then reminded myself that this is NORMAL BG! I can't remember the last time I had a reading in the 80s (other than an error). Couple of years, at least. And that's with A1C 6.2 and under!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
88 (4.88) this blue sky morning, 87 (4.82) at bedtime last night. The cough is still hanging around.

Oh my gosh auntiekris!! I used to live in Arnold until I moved here to MT in 2004. I lived in Lilac Park subdivision. I miss it sometimes, but not in fire season. Also nice to see that lower number this morning. Maybe it is the elevation! :wink2:

Wally glad to hear you are still safe!!

6241 - 6260 of 7025 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.