·
Registered
T2
1,376 Posts
Today, 14 Jul 22 - 131
Yesterday, 13 Jul 22 - 131
135 this morning
I've been up and down from 120s to 150s
i’m also going up and down. I don’t understand why some people just give up one or two items, and their fasting glucose is way lower than mine, not to mention their A1C. I have to give up practically everything, and my blood glucose is still high. Very very frustrating!

·
Registered
T2
1,376 Posts
128 this morning
I agree with you alamogirl. Up and down and mostly unpredictable!
I know Diabetes is progressive, but I try to keep it from progressing. A woman at church told me that If her husband had been as careful and compliant as I am that he would still be alive!
Do you think maybe my doctor should increase my metformin? I finally spoke to one of my friends, whose A1C is much lower than mine. She told me that she was on an additional medication aside from metformin. Because her A1C is in the 5% range, her doctor took her off of that additional medication, and now she is only on metformin. I’m not wishing her bad or anything, but it will be interesting to see if she maintains her A1C in the 5% range.

·
Administrator
2,571 Posts
She told me that she was on an additional medication aside from metformin. Because her A1C is in the 5% range, her doctor took her off of that additional medication, and now she is only on metformin. I’m not wishing her bad or anything, but it will be interesting to see if she maintains her A1C in the 5% range.
It would be interesting to see if the A1c holds -- though your friend may have made other changes that affected her A1c for the better.

Your doctor should be able to test some things and let you know if maybe you do need more metformin yourself.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Do you think maybe my doctor should increase my metformin?
How much do you currently take?
My doctor cut my metformin once and keeps threatening to cut it again. That scares me, but he thinks anywhere near an A1c of 6 is great. I'm definitely not ready to reduce it. I take 3 Metformin ER 500 mg a day now--down from 4.

·
Super Moderator
10,427 Posts
......it will be interesting to see if she maintains her A1C in the 5% range.
Does she check her BG daily? If so, she should see a difference long before her next A1c.

·
Registered
T2
1,376 Posts
How much do you currently take?
My doctor cut my metformin once and keeps threatening to cut it again. That scares me, but he thinks anywhere near an A1c of 6 is great. I'm definitely not ready to reduce it. I take 3 Metformin ER 500 mg a day now--down from 4.
I take 2 500 mg of Metformin HCL per day.

·
Registered
T2
1,376 Posts
Does she check her BG daily? If so, she should see a difference long before her next A1c.
I’ll ask her next time I talk to her. That’s the topic of our conversations most of the time…our diabetes 😆.

·
Administrator
2,571 Posts
I was checking mutliple times a day. But what I ate for breakfast and lunch varied so little that there was no significant effect on my readings. So I quit checking around those meals. And unless I've eaten something I shouldn't have at dinner or an evening event or I'm feelng sick, my morning FBG stays in a fairly narrow band. So I pulled back some on that testing. Spot checking leaves me where I expect. So I don't test nearly as often these days.

I will note, however, that that is what is working for me. That could change and, if it does, my testing will, too. And different strokes for different folks. Some like the accountability of a daily check. Not trying to talk anyone out of what works for them.

·
Registered
T2
1,376 Posts
Today, 19 Jul 22 - 126
Yesterday, 18 Jul 22 - 138

I was saddened to hear about Dr. Sarah Hallberg‘s passing. I had no idea she was even ill. When I first came to this forum, I had just been diagnosed with diabetes in 2017. Some of you encouraged me to visit several websites. Dr. Hallberg‘s talk on TED was one of them. I listened to that talk several times until I finally understood what insulin’s job was. Since I have been having problems with my morning glucose, I decided to go back to her Facebook page, and maybe research why this was happening. That’s when I saw that she had passed away. She was only 50. RIP Dr. Hallberg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can someone please explain the numbers listed in the above posts eg 134 (7.4)
My glucose level when I woke this morning was 6.6mm. I was more than happy with that.

I only joined this forum yesterday and from what I have read so far I am going to enjoy being a member of this community.
The thing I like most about it is that I can relate to what is being written as the posts are written by diabetics themselves and they are sharing their personal knowledge.

I have already copied some of the recipes into a 'diabetic folder' on my computer!!

·
Administrator
2,571 Posts
bundyanne, the world uses two methods to measure blood glucose levels. The one you're used to is used in most of the rest of the world, and measures the number of glucose molecules per liter of blood, usually expressed as millimoles (mmol) because we're talking such small numbers. In the U.S. and a few other countries, the method measures the weight of glucose molecules per liter of blood.

The numbers can be converted from one system to the other but the formula is rather complex, so there are all kinds of mmol/mgdL conversion sites all over the Internet and some glucose test devices can do it, too (though not usually on the fly).

Your 6.6 mmol converts to 118.8 mg/dL, which, indeed, is a number that would have many of us happy.

Reactions: etherea

·
Super Moderator
10,427 Posts
Can someone please explain the numbers listed in the above posts eg 134 (7.4)
Just to add to what itissteve posted above:
Sometimes people post their BG in the units they normally use and then put the converted units in parenthesis.
Your example 134 (7.4): typically USA units - mg/dL (rest of the world units - mmol/L)
It could have been 7.4 (134) if the poster's normal units were measured in mmol/L

Reactions: itissteve

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I feel your pain @alamogirl Yesterday mine was 148--could have been the watermelon? I spent all day yesterday at the ER with my husband. Got there at 8am and they finally decided to admit him. I spent the night at the hospital and didn't have my glucometer with me. You don't get much sleep at the hospital even if you aren't the patient!

5241 - 5260 of 5284 Posts