The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
5281 - 5300 of 5412 Posts

·
Registered
T2
1,409 Posts
Today, 19 Aug 22 - 113 (again 😊)

I was on Facebook, and I came across an ad for diabetes. I noticed it had a lot of comments so I started to read them. This one guy said he had a great tip. He said if you eat a dessert, wash it down with at least two bottles of water, and your blood glucose will be low. He said that urine flushes down glucose. I know when my mother was diagnosed with diabetes, there was no A1C. She actually had to urinate on strips and compare it to this color coded chart. If your glucose was high, the strip was a certain color. I never looked at it as urine flushing down glucose. What do you think about what he said?

·
Administrator
2,619 Posts
Urine does flush glucose -- but only after it's done its job in our cells. Our bodies are designed to store glucose and water for possible later use; when our systems are saturated with both our bodies are designed to get rid of the extra. But the liver can store a lot of glucose -- that's why a high-glucose meal for us can show up on our meters for a couple of days after we eat it even if we're on the straight and narrow afterward. It is possible to overhydrate, but when that happens our bodies are low on necessary nutrients like magnesium and potassium as well and we've got bigger problems than lower blood glucose levels.

Would that this guy's theory worked. But it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
According to the National Kidney Foundation, the kidneys start spiling glucose into the urine when your BG levels are ~180mg/dL or greater. I wouldn't be happy.

Reactions: alamogirl

·
Registered
T2
1,409 Posts
Urine does flush glucose -- but only after it's done its job in our cells. Our bodies are designed to store glucose and water for possible later use; when our systems are saturated with both our bodies are designed to get rid of the extra. But the liver can store a lot of glucose -- that's why a high-glucose meal for us can show up on our meters for a couple of days after we eat it even if we're on the straight and narrow afterward. It is possible to overhydrate, but when that happens our bodies are low on necessary nutrients like magnesium and potassium as well and we've got bigger problems than lower blood glucose levels.

Would that this guy's theory worked. But it doesn't.
Thank you 👍🏼 for the explanation. Yeah, it didn’t sound like something healthy to do.

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
123 this morning, got into the mixed nuts last night.
Finally tried making a Moscow Mule, gonna have to get me some diet ginger beer, the real stuff didn't help me any either.

5281 - 5300 of 5412 Posts