The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

521 - 540 of 4493 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
104 this morning--tested just a little earlier than usual
I ate the salad bar at Jason's Deli yesterday for late lunch and was too full to eat dinner. I had a handful of raw pecans before bed.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
110 this morning, last check before bed was 93, but I know where the boost came from. Yesterday was Dad's Day for my granddaughter's agri sorority. Dad couldn't make it so pawpaw substituted. After the event was over we went to a couple of souvenir stores and then she wanted to go to an Andy's ice-cream shop. I asked what they had that was sugar free or low carb and was told water. I caved in and got a small German Chocolate Cake Concrete. Not sure what it did at the time, but after a 4 hour trip getting back home my BG was a 169. That won't happen again.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
114, and 82 two days ago. My FBG levels are often not a reflection of how I eat. Eating very low carb will not give me low numbers.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
A 90 this morning. I'm hoping the cooler weather helps keep it down.

Reactions: etherea

·
Registered
520 Posts
155 this AM. Does anyone know exactly how high you have to be and when during the night to be considered to have Dawn Phenomenon or the other one, I can't remember the name.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Everyone has a rise in blood sugar in the morning. Non-diabetics and diabetics alike. What sets the rise apart for diabetics is that we don't have an accompanying insulin response to the liver's very normal function of putting glucose in the bloodstream when we wake up.

So, just about any rise in the morning can come under the category of DP. What we T2 diabetics need to do is to somehow manipulate our diets, etc.,in order to limit the amount of glucose the liver puts out. (T1s and those on insulin use this tool to address the issue.)

Just what will work for each individual is a YMMV thing. For me, keeping carbs very low keeps the liver from stocking up as much as it would and then not being able to put as much into the bloodstream in the mornings. I am fortunate in that the liver will eventually quit doing this after a couple hours even if I don't eat. Others find that the liver doesn't quit until they eat. (It has something to do with the signaling function of metabolism and every individual is, well, individual).

TooSweet - if you continually have high FBG and are eating very low carb, you might want to discuss with your doctor about introducing at least basal insulin.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Somogyi effect - it involves having low blood sugar during the night and you body is correcting it and your BG going up. They say to get up early (2-3 AM) several nights in a row and test your BG, if its not low, its probably DP.

521 - 540 of 4493 Posts