The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
5541 - 5560 of 5568 Posts

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
I used to do double reds but they could use only one of my arms so, for me, it became this 2 to 2-1/2 hour thing and I found that I started avoiding donating altogether rather than gird myself for another donation. Now I give whole blood as often as they let me and we're all happier. Hard to find post-donation treats that are not mostly carbs. But those are the only times I eat Oreos so it stays under control. 😀

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Today, 22, Nov 22 - 135. (I ate some fruit around 9:00 last night. I can’t believe how it can leave my glucose spiked like that.)

Yesterday, 21, Nov 22 - 125
Try different types of fruits, some are forgiving for me, others are not. I try to avoid the canned ones and stick to fresh. I was surprised with dragon fruit when I first bought one. Twice actually, when I checked my BG a couple of hours after eating it (it was much lower than I expected) and at the check out stand when they rang it up.

I used to do double reds but they could use only one of my arms so, for me, it became this 2 to 2-1/2 hour thing and I found that I started avoiding donating altogether rather than gird myself for another donation. Now I give whole blood as often as they let me and we're all happier. Hard to find post-donation treats that are not mostly carbs. But those are the only times I eat Oreos so it stays under control. 😀
They love me. I take it as a compliment when I hear "Ooh girl, look at these veins". "Oh yeah, they nice ones". I think this time was a record for me. Was finished in 55 minutes, counting the time taken to test blood and go thru all the "paperwork". I took em up on a bottle of water, "T" shirt, and even got a 15 dollar coupon to use on a turkey or ham for the holidays. If they offered mixed nuts for a snack instead of cookies or crackers, I'd take them up on that.

Mixed nuts from the blood mobile, if they had them, would probably be a smaller portion than I partake in as a snack at home when I don't portion them out. 115 FBG this morning. Got into the mixed nuts jar.

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
Those mixed nuts seem to get you every time!

I should correct a little. It's apheresis I quit doing because it would take maybe three hours out of my day while I can fill the bag of whole blood in under 10 minutes (intake takes longer). I should look into double-reds. I used to do them before they suggested I do apheresis. I don't remember them being such long appointments. Thanks for the memory jog.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
107 this morning
The BS numbers are the best part of having a bad meal on Thanksgiving :)
BH's family likes to go out to eat on Thanksgiving and Christmas. My family is all far away. We went to a diner (been there before) and they screwed up my order. I ended up with what was supposed to be steak and green beans being the only edible items on my plate--fortuitous?
I miss the days when our parents were alive and we all gathered at my house. Dinner out means I don't have to clean the house, cook, and do dishes though.
They like to do Chinese places for Christmas--the ones around here don't open on Thanksgiving.

5541 - 5560 of 5568 Posts