The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

101 - 120 of 4350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
....One thing I'm curious about, though.... I've seen people mention having a restless night's sleep. What bearing does that have on it? I haven't been sleeping well the last few weeks, and it's been higher than usual, but I didn't know about this until I read those threads.... thanks!
Not sleeping well and getting enough rest is stressful, and stress can cause higher BG.

Reactions: Sholleman

·
Registered
799 Posts
124 this morning which is good. Better than it has been, so I'll take it.

Sholleman, when you don't eat carbs, your liver spills sugar into your system. What I still don't understand is why it spills so much. Why not just enough to get to 90?

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I had some weird results this morning. My fasting blood sugar was 131. Normally once I eat something it goes down. I had a Premier Protein drink which never touches my BS by more than a couple of points. An hour later my BS jumped to 141. (I checked it twice because I was sure it was a mistake.) I am going to test with the Premier Protein shake again, just in case it really is starting to mess with my numbers and wasn't just a fluke.

The remainder of the day I never went over 107. Tonight, a few hours after dinner, I am at 90.

·
Registered
799 Posts
118 this morning. I'll take anything under 120 at this point.

I am so accustomed to high numbers again, when I get something 110 and lower during the day, I panic - Oh my....that's low!!

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I woke up this morning to a call from the fraud protections folks at my bank. Apparently my bank card partied coast to coast from California to Florida. I have a feeling the scammers had way more fun that I did, considering I was sound asleep during that time.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, by the time I got off the phone with them, I needed coffee, RIGHT NOW and completely forgot to get my fasting numbers. At the moment, I am at 106 following bulletproof coffee earlier this morning.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Cricket, so sorry you had to go through that. My Mom had checks stolen right out of her mailbox and they scammed Walmart with them for $1000. The bank changed her account right away and gave her the money back. It's resolved now - the thieves were arrested with MOUNDS of mail in their apartment. So, make sure you drop your mail off in a locked drop box.

I have never considered whether coffee changes my blood sugar or not. If it does, it's not more than a few points since occasionally, I will do a fasting and then another test just before I have breakfast (an hour later) and the only thing I've had is coffee.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
102, a pleasant surprise!

·
Registered
799 Posts
134. However, I'm not absolutely sure I used my long acting last night. I think I'm going to put the pen needles for that into my pill box so that I know whether I've taken it or not.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Bunjee - remembering the routine is a difficult thing for me. Even with a pill box I can forget and skip.

101 this morning, which is surprising because its usually around 115 - I went off the rails last night and had some corn chips so I know my BG spiked to near 160 from that (I didn't test - nothing I can do about it after the fact anyway).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was 120, yesterday was 140. I don't know what the difference is. I'm still dealing with jet lag after a trip to see kids and grandkids. So maybe that's it. Don't really know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bunjee - remembering the routine is a difficult thing for me. Even with a pill box I can forget and skip.

101 this morning, which is surprising because its usually around 115 - I went off the rails last night and had some corn chips so I know my BG spiked to near 160 from that (I didn't test - nothing I can do about it after the fact anyway).

Oh, corn chips and freetos!!!

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I may test something again over the next few days/weeks.

As many of you already know, I struggle with higher fasting numbers due to dawn phenomenon. Usually, once I break my fast, my numbers begin to come down.

This morning my fasting glucose was 117, which is lower than normal for me. I was barely awake and not quite ready for my bulletproof coffee, so I waited a bit. The next time I checked (still in fasting mode) it was rising, so I went ahead and made my special coffee. Now (about 3 hours later) it is 91.

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Continuing to test something.

This morning my fasting number was 117 again. I waited to see if it would come down without intervention, without eating something.

At 2 hours, I checked again, and it was rising. The only thing I did was drink a cup of coffee with some coconut milk (unsweetened) and now it is 105, so apparently, just about anything that stops the overnight fast will start bringing it back down.

Will test a few more days/weeks, depending on results.

That being said, I have no clue why my morning numbers seem to be getting lower, but I will take it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I first tested, it was 129, which was NO WAY ...I only had 40.41 carbs yesterday, so I tested again, and it was 118, which is still too high...... I don't understand how the meter can test so differently within a minute. It was still high, and just like so many have said, it goes down when I have my coffee with cream.....

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Blood isn't homologous. It's a loose mixture of all its components. So one bit could have more glucose in it than another. Those two number are virtually the same, but if it was me, I'd go for the 118 :laugh2:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well, mine was a whopping 163 this morning. Washed my hands, retested, still 163. I would call it residual Friday night popcorn effect, except when I went to bed it was 118.

Sholleman, I'd also take the 118. :) Now, if you had gotten 118 and 164, well, then I'd be looking at several things, but the 129 is close enough to just be a variance. Dawn phenomenon is one of the most irritating things for some of us because it doesn't seem to matter what you do - it's not where you expected it to be based on what you did. My primary reminds me that there is a biological reason for the liver to dump sugar in the early morning hours - so that you have the energy to go out and hunt for breakfast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was 83 this morning!! A couple hours later before I ate breakfast it had risen to 105. I imagine I can blame dawn phenomenon for the 140 and 123 last week.

101 - 120 of 4350 Posts