The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I never heard of Grand master. I'll look for that one :)
It's a hard bitter cheese Cathy as it's good to clense the pallet for wine tasting and they're not cheap but good!!! :D
Today I have bought some roma Tomatos and i'll have that on toast. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
breakfast:

(woke up with 46 mg/dl, although my line was no longer attached to my pump :confused:)

125 gr fresh cheese 0% fat
40 gr dried apricots
95 gr white grapes

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes Rubystar I work midnights-- well actually it is an odd shift-- I start anywhere from 11:45pm to midnight and go till anywhere from 10am to 2pm.. we are super short handed lately-- and they have also added more client homes-- I work as a phlebotomist and go and draw blood at nursing homes and psychiatric homes. So it is just easier to go at night. Which has made it a bit harder to eat properly but I am learning-- it also being cooler (ok well COLDER) outside it is a bit easier to take food with me. I have been trying to find things that are easy to snack on while I drive.. and I try to take at least one good low carb meal with me... any suggestions?
Oh, MissMeg, I feel like I've found a long lost sister. I work from 11:00 p.m to 7:30 am in a hospital lab. I am a Medical Technologist. We, too, have phlebotomists that draw blood at nursing homes and bring it into the lab. We also have phlebots that come in at 4:00 am and draw all the morning draws on the inpatients. Then us techs have to have all the work out before 7:00 am when the doctors are usually in for their rounds. We have a phlebot on our shift who draws the er draws and all timed draws, stats, etc. We are provided food on our shift but it is most often not very healthy for a diabetic. I bring my own food usually. I bring a half a chicken breast on two pieces of whole wheat bread or a home made soup (I have access to a microwave). I also always carry almonds with me and usually a piece of fruit. You can carry some peanut butter and crackers or bread, whole wheat, of course. It's more difficult for you since you can't heat anything up.

Anyway, hugs and kisses to your for being a phlebotomist on the midnight shift. I'll bet your awesome at what you do. I live in Illinois, too. Up north near DeKalb.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have access to a microwave once I get back to the office -- and I tend to eat right after I process all my orders, before I start my order entry.. I have a very laid back boss who literally will call me and tell me to stop what I am doing and either eat or check my blood. She is such a sweetheart it is unreal. I tend to think I am great at my job -- though we all feel that way. lol But since I use to draw on neonates I don't have many issues with the geriatric patients. I have thought about going back to get my MLT because I was told that we will soon be having a actual lab in our office.. Right now our blood gets processed and heads to either Springfield OR St. Louis depending on what test. So if they decide to open our office up into a lab then I would be more valuable if I could run and report at least STAT testing.. and means more $$$ for me as well.. I love my job and I think that means alot when it comes to doing a good job. I carry with me granola bars, some of those little 100 calorie bags of crackers, and of course the candy bar in case of a low.. My company has also provided me with what they call the " on no I am low" kit.. in it is some liquid glucose and peanut butter crackers and a think of sunny d... I keep it in my kit of supplies that I carry into all the facilities I work in-- just in case. So far things have been well.

Cool that your in Illinois as well.. I am in Bloomington-- but my route takes me anywhere from Leroy to ElPaso through the Bloomington/Normal then off to Peoria and our office is in Morton.. if you know this area at all then you know I have a huge route :p

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
1 piece of toast
low-carb chocolate spread (mix diet cream cheese with pure cocoa and sweetener to taste)

1/2 tomatoe with chopped onion, oil/vinegar

1 cup of carbfree soy milk

·
Registered
14 Posts
MCDONALDS not too bad

Due to my hectic schedule I frequent MC D'S alot /, I eat hamburger all the time. Just skip the bun and gety extra onions. My numbers are staying good still. Thank goodness

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That must be tough having to eat take out that much. I have a Very Good imagination but I still can't picture someone going to Mc's, buying a hamburger, throwing away the bun and eating the hamburger...just. :eek: I have heard People say this before. I haven't been to Mc's since our Kids were young but I'm hoping they supply forks. :rolleyes: I'm Glad that your sugars are staying okay.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That must be tough having to eat take out that much.

I would treat it as a place where carbs are plentiful and there fore a rare event. You would want to look at "Super size Me" The movie that someone made as this just shows how carbs can make you so full and so sick. I would have some but not everyday and when I do, The bolus will be quite hard!!

I have a Very Good imagination but I still can't picture someone going to Mc's, buying a hamburger, throwing away the bun and eating the hamburger...just. :eek: I have heard People say this before. I haven't been to Mc's since our Kids were young but I'm hoping they supply forks. :rolleyes: I'm Glad that your sugars are staying okay.
LOL Terrie, I have learned to count carbohydrates and maccas is a good test but I don't do this too much as there is other food around to enjoy and learn from.
Terrie has learned that low carbing is an art to eat well at a low carb count is a challenge. (For me anyway. :eek:) So I bow to you. ;)

1 piece of toast
low-carb chocolate spread (mix diet cream cheese with pure cocoa and sweetener to taste)
Since when that there is Diet Cream LOL. Cathy, How did you beleve that this is true. {The diet you have when you're not having a diet} Still was it good?? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally Posted by meurtelken
1 piece of toast

Since when that there is Diet Cream LOL. Cathy, How did you beleve that this is true. {The diet you have when you're not having a diet} Still was it good??

I think she means Neufchatel Cheese, which is low fat cream cheese. I avoid the low fat stuff, because what they remove in fat, they load it up with fillers, sugars and starches which add to the carb count. I take regular cream cheese, mix it with some vanilla extract, sweetener (preferrably Stevia) and some pomegranate. Then I mix some melted butter stevia and flax seed meal and form a crust inside of a small individual aluminum pie plate, pour the cream cheese mixture in and voila...low carb cheese cake. MMMMM...try adding some cinnamon to that as well. It's really yummy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
wouldn't waste food

That must be tough having to eat take out that much. I have a Very Good imagination but I still can't picture someone going to Mc's, buying a hamburger, throwing away the bun and eating the hamburger...just. :eek: I have heard People say this before. I haven't been to Mc's since our Kids were young but I'm hoping they supply forks. :rolleyes: I'm Glad that your sugars are staying okay.

Don't worry I don't throw away the buns. I either take them home for my kids (i don't get ketchup or mustard on it either) or feed them to the birds when the weather is nice. I'd feel guilty if I just ate the burgers and then throw the bun away. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh whew! Good show. I've noticed the price of bread and the buns when I'm shopping. They almost cost as much as the meat. Okay, not quite. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
dinner:

100 gr cottage cheese
1 mango, diced
10 gr sunflower seeds, toasted
3 dried prunes, snipped
3 dried apricots, snipped

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have been making soups, soups and more soups! I just finished off my vegetable beef soup and today I made a big batch of lentil soup loaded with vegetables. I usually eat the soup with a lettuce salad with balsalmic vinegar dressing and a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dinner:
Broiled chicken
mixed veggies consisting of broccoli florets, red bell peppers, mushrooms, sweet onions and garlic sauteed in butter and a dash of extra virgin olive oil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tonight I have made :

Blue cheese stuffed hamburgers (mine with a lower carb bun)
Home fries (not for me)
and mac and cheese (again NOT for me)

I am having salad and broccoli while the rest of the family enjoys the carbs lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
Miss Meg wrote:
I am having salad and broccoli while the rest of the family enjoys the carbs lol
You are a smart girl Meg. :D:)
Mine for tonight is just a T bone steak and steamed veg of potato (Counted!!) Carrots and Onion. I also had some Dujion Mustard over the steak and pepper.:p:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
lunch:

23 gr carbs of melba toast
goat's cheese

dinner:

1 tortilla 25 gr carbs
ground beef, peppers, Chinese cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber, onion

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Today for me is too early for dinner, but yesterday I have Kebab.
I just made Polish Kiesel as dessert for my family.

For lunch we had beef chili with chili beans, kidney beans, celery, carrots, three colors sweet bell pepper, tons of onions, garlic, tomato sauce....YUMMI! The others are having rice on the side, I have enough carbs in the chili for me :)

Dinner for me: grilled steak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question about cheese

Hi, everyone, I'm new here, but after reading your threads on lunch/dinner- it inspired me to go home and make myslef a healthier meal for myself.
Last night I made meatloaf, made brussel sprouts with this cheddar cheese sauce I always make for my family, I sauteed onions, spinach and mushrooms i 2 tblspoons of olive oil, added a pinch of salt & pepper. and had a big green salad. I also made sweet potato wedges in the oven, sprinkled olive oil on it and a pinch of salt- I only had 5 small pieces of that. I think I did ok, because I had NO HEARTBURN last night for the first time. everyone else had the meatloaf & veggies plus mac & cheese which I'm proud to say I didnt touch.
I think I have this horrible addiction to cheese. Was what I ate ok?

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.