The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am not the most socially-skilled person! I have little kids, we do not entertain adults very often ...

I have an old friend from out-of-town, coming to visit us. He suggested carryout pizza, because they "do not want me to cook." :p He knows I am diabetic, but he is clueless ...

I ended up saying pizza would be fine, I will make a salad to go with. I will add protein to husband's and my salad, and have a variety of LC dressings ...

But this was, like, a huge dilemma for me! I have not eaten out for 18 months, now (which is FINE! It has changed my perspective on our society, actually) ... I do not want to look odd or weird, but a pizza, errrrrrrrr simply does not fit my dietary needs ...

How have you handled similar situations?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're like you, we don't entertain much, and when we do, it's our own kids & other family, so they might be somewhat easier . . . (like, I'll cook - you shut up & eat . . . :D)

I think you handled it well enough though . . . adding salad to the menu always works, and you could even have added some of your famous soup, if you'd have had a stash you could warm up. There just aren't many carry-out foods that are very diet-friendly . . . you never know about the sauces, and there's always bread/rice/noodles incorporated in the meal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
sometimes I'm good and someitmes I'm not. you did great! i married intoa a korean family and rice is a staple in each meal. it would upset her grandmom very much when I wouldn't eat the rice on my plate but that is how it's gotta be.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're like you, we don't entertain much, and when we do, it's our own kids & other family, so they might be somewhat easier . . . (like, I'll cook - you shut up & eat . . . :D)

I think you handled it well enough though . . . adding salad to the menu always works, and you could even have added some of your famous soup, if you'd have had a stash you could warm up. There just aren't many carry-out foods that are very diet-friendly . . . you never know about the sauces, and there's always bread/rice/noodles incorporated in the meal.
I am home all day, that day -- so, adding some SOUP is a TERRIFIC idea! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have an old friend from out-of-town, coming to visit us. He suggested carryout pizza, because they "do not want me to cook." :p He knows I am diabetic, but he is clueless ...

I ended up saying pizza would be fine....

But this was, like, a huge dilemma for me! I have not eaten out for 18 months, now (which is FINE! It has changed my perspective on our society, actually) ... I do not want to look odd or weird, but a pizza, errrrrrrrr simply does not fit my dietary needs ...

How have you handled similar situations?
Foxl, I'd have been more assertive here, which is not to say offensive or unappreciative. "Thanks for the consideration, but pizza won't work well for us. I don't mind cooking, so I'd suggest..."

I think your friend assumes everyone loves pizza but overlooks the possibility that pizza doesn't love us! ;)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He knows I am diabetic, has some idea of what I eat, but ...

(He is in AA, so he should understand restrictions, too!).

·
Registered
62 Posts
in the same circumstances, I do much as you did. I make a great big beautiful salad with a variety of salad dressings. I can always make do with that!

also, I will sometimes get one pizza (if there's a crowd) that's thin crust with no sauce & veggies & cheese only. a small piece works for me & others are often surprised that they like it, too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My 25 year old son still lives with us and often brings home pizza and still asks whether I want some. I have been D for 4 years. The smell still drives me nuts and I really want a piece. Over the past 4 years I have slipped and had a few pieces. The world didn't end. I usually try to eat the toppings off first and maybe nibble a little on the crust. A salad is a good idea. If I am going to a party I always bring an appetizer that I can eat .

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sometimes when everyone is having a pizza night and I want to be included I will eat a piece of the super thin pizza...or I will just eat the topping off of a couple of pieces. I try to order a salad along with it to fill the meal out :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sometimes when everyone is having a pizza night and I want to be included I will eat a piece of the super thin pizza...or I will just eat the topping off of a couple of pieces. I try to order a salad along with it to fill the meal out :)

Yep I do that a lot. I just pull all of the toppings off so I am mostly getting cheese and some meat only. I am fuzzy so my pizza's usually are pretty plain.

·
Registered
663 Posts
G'day Lin :D, If this was a rare thing then one would not hurt. For me I have had forgotten my insulin and I would go without anything except water. Parties are a bomb asking to go off in my view. But then you have a good idea what foods are loaded with carbs (Pizza is one of them :rolleyes:)

Living alone just makes things easyier diet wise, But socially depressing. :(

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nonono, see we get pizza for the kids, once a week! And I just do not eat it ... my concern here was getting it for guests, and also cooking for us, might look odd, to them! And %^@$ed if I will eat it just to be "polite" or "sociable!"

·
Registered
663 Posts
nonono, see we get pizza for the kids, once a week! And I just do not eat it ... my concern here was getting it for guests, and also cooking for us, might look odd, to them! And %^@$ed if I will eat it just to be "polite" or "sociable!"
Aww Linda.... You are a very strong willed lady. As for me, Just knowing what to expect from a pizza makes me to enjoy the feast. It would be a mammoth task to say no for me. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.