The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recntly diagnosed with Type 2. I am NOT taking any medications. All the doctor told me was to diet and exercise. He gave me a machine to measure my blood sugar but never gave me any type of info on what I should be looking for when I test. I have a couple of questions;
1) What should my readings be?

2) When should I test?

Please help!!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Since you are from Ohio I can give you USA numbers. I try to keep my numbers between 80 and 120 s often as possible but that is very difficult so I am happy between 70 and 130. You have to adjust gradually to numbers below 90 if you are not used to running that low. An average close to 100 would give you an A1c below 6.0 which is a nondiabetic level. Maintaining an A1c like that would make it much less likely for you to develop complications with your diabetes later ion life.

I test when I get up in the morning before eating anything. That is a very important test. I test before each meal so I will know how much insulin to take (using carb counting) and then again 2 hours after each meal to see if my insulin/carb ratio is working well. I test before going to bed to see if I need a snack to avoid a hypo while sleeping. That makes about 8 times per day. Actually I test more than that since I always test before driving and before and after exercising. Some days I test as many as 12 times. Other diabetics may test as few as 4 times. Generally speaking Type 1s need to test more often than Type 2s. I hope this helps.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much Richard. Like I said I wasn't given much info from the doctor. You have hepled me out quite a bit. Thank You.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts