The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time coming up with different low carb meals... Thought maybe it would help with sharing ideas for dinner. What you cooking tonight???

Bugg

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having steak cooked on a charcoal grill, with fresh steamed asparagus and green beans. I am also having toss salad... I'm not sure of the dressing...

My Sweetie is coming over...:D

Bugg

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Haddock in Brandi's breading, tartar sauce, broccoli, carrots and maybe a sugar-free jello or a little NSA (no-sugar-added) ice cream for dessert.

G

·
lol Bugg don't get me started.... food has been my focus all week. But I have to say I'm thinking the choice of carbs on this FODMAP diet I'm doing seems to have a better impact on my BGLs so far. Tonight I'm going to cook a shepherds pie (maybe you call it cottage pie?) with the allowed vegies and I'll use mix of sweet & normal potato for the topping on it. Haven't had this dish in a while... so not sure what impact it will have on my BGLs. But I'm getting stuck on ideas on what to cook as lots of usuals I can't have... I can't use onion or garlic which is both staples in my diet... I use both ingredients in almost everything I cook for lunch/dinners. I'm having to think creatively which is good.... but I don't tend to use recipes for meals... make it up as I go.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I only ate dinner today, wasn't hungry any other time today. So, I had a Jimmy Dean bacon breakfast bowl for dinner :confused: I used to think that you couldn't have breakfast food for dinner. It doesn't matter any more. I also had a 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a Weight Watcher latte bar. Sugar free cinnamon roll pudding is for my bedtime snack. :hungry:

G

·
well the shepherds pie turned out Ok... wasn't bad on my BGLs either. It's strange cooking without onion... but I used a very small amount of crushed garlic in this pie last night... even though I'm supposed to be avoiding it... but dietitian reminded me that it's 'low FODMAP' and not necessarily 'excluding'... although I'm trying very hard to exclude stuff at the moment. Just couldn't face the thought of absolutely no garlic in that dish. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shepherds Pie has always been one of our favorites, and I've avoided it since D because of the mashed potatoes. Now that I'm able to get green bananas more readily, I think I'm going to try mashing a batch of those, just as I would potatoes - with butter, sour cream & cream cheese - and that should make a fine topping for the S. Pie.

I cooked another batch of GB today & had a bowl of Marty's scalloped green bananas tonight . . . absolutely delicious!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mashed cauliflower instead of potato also works well for Shepards Pie - I didn't believe it would, but it does.

I made pulled pork for dinner tonight .. and we'll be having it for most of the week too! Yummmm! I also made some of the foccasia flax "bread" - I can make a sandwich tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I ate with my sister and her husband on Saturday. We had pepperoni pizza, I had one slice. The 3 of us shared a philly steak & cheese sub and we all chowed down on a hug salad. My sister and her family are eating healthier nowadays, and I took a bag of almond flour to give her and she is promising to make her version of chocolate chip cookies with the flour, she is a good baker and I believe that she will come up with a recipe. I gave her the almond pancake recipe and that is what they are having for breakfast. They seemed excited about getting busy with something new to eat. My sister is not diabetic and is very healthy. She is a walker and is into competion body building. She walks 3 miles a day 6 days per week. She walks ran or shine!

G

·
Mashed cauliflower instead of potato also works well for Shepards Pie - I didn't believe it would, but it does.

I made pulled pork for dinner tonight .. and we'll be having it for most of the week too! Yummmm! I also made some of the foccasia flax "bread" - I can make a sandwich tomorrow. :D
I can't have cauliflower at the moment. Quite a few vegies banned from my diet actually. The potato wasn't bad on my BGLs... but maybe I didn't mash it as much as I normally would & I only used a dash of soy milk in it to combine.
@Shanny... what's green bananas? is that literally what I think it is? (eg. unripe banana).

G

·
I ate with my sister and her husband on Saturday. We had pepperoni pizza, I had one slice. The 3 of us shared a philly steak & cheese sub and we all chowed down on a hug salad. My sister and her family are eating healthier nowadays, and I took a bag of almond flour to give her and she is promising to make her version of chocolate chip cookies with the flour, she is a good baker and I believe that she will come up with a recipe. I gave her the almond pancake recipe and that is what they are having for breakfast. They seemed excited about getting busy with something new to eat. My sister is not diabetic and is very healthy. She is a walker and is into competion body building. She walks 3 miles a day 6 days per week. She walks ran or shine!
Some of my family when I meet up with them like their pizzas too when they can't be bothered cooking. Here they tend to use a lot more vegies on pizzas (still unhealthy for you though). When I was in USA years back I was introduced to your pizzas and every option I was offered was pretty much meat and cheese.... not sure if it's still the same?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Onlymep ... What does FODMAP' stand for? I don't think I could eat w/out onions and garlic. I use both in almost everything... I sure hope there not full of carbs.

Bugg:)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Onlymep ... What does FODMAP' stand for? I don't think I could eat w/out onions and garlic. I use both in almost everything... I sure hope there not full of carbs.

Bugg:)
There's some basic info and links in this thread:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Last night I made chili with some free range organic ground beef and lots of veggies. I even put in beans and tomatoes. My bgs were great , almost too low so I had to eat a snack at bed time to bring the 63 up to 80.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
@Shanny... what's green bananas? is that literally what I think it is? (eg. unripe banana).
Yes - these are unripe bananas - dark green with no yellow showing - hard as a rock. You need a paring knife to get the peeling off by making lengthwise cuts about four places around the banana, and then carefully lifting the strips of peeling to separate them from the banana. The texture/taste of cooked green bananas is very like that of boiled red potatoes.

Green Bananas are resistant starch, remember, and not as bad for your BG (I tested 125 an hour after eating - which as usual, is lower than many of my recent fasting readings). But they gotta be rock-hard green & you have to peel 'em with a paring knife. Whenever I find any, I have to cook them immediately when I get them home, or they ripen up too quickly. Then I just have cooked GB in the fridge for whatever.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Do you have to cook the green bananas as soon as you buy them before they have a chance to ripen? I've noticed some of the bananas in Costco are pretty green.

G

·
thanks Shanny. I can't remember the last time I saw green bananas for sale here.... they are always ripe when for sale here.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Do you have to cook the green bananas as soon as you buy them before they have a chance to ripen? I've noticed some of the bananas in Costco are pretty green.
Yes, I cook them the minute I get home from the store. It's been only recently that I've been finding them green enough to use for the resistant starch - if there's any yellow developing, I leave them alone. There have been times if a clerk was nearby, I would ask if they had any greener ones in the back, and sometimes they DO! :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The Shepherds Pie boosted me 22 points at the one hour interval, so I'm happy with the mashed green banana topping! I'd almost bet that part of that boost was from using regular condensed soup for the sauce. The other components of the filling weren't anything that would spike me . . . lean ground beef, chopped onion, edamame, mushrooms & spinach . . . hadda be the boughten soup (will I never learn?! :rolleyes:).

update:

Okay, let's hear it for green bananas!

before meal: 130 (7.2)
1-hour interval: 152 (8.4)
2-hour interval: 110 (6.1)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts