The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did something different and new for me for lunch today. I love sub sandwiches, well the bread poses a slight problem right? The sub place I go to just started a new low carb sub. Rather than using bread they will make which ever sandwich you want wrapped in Romain lettuce. I have to say it was dang tasty! The only draw back is the fact that the bread filled me up more, though now an hour and a half later I don't feel hungry. Not sure if this makes any sense to anyone my BG remained about the same with a little drop from 125 (6.9) to 122 (6.8). I'm gonna see where it is in at the two hour point, but before after a sub my BG was already climbing at one hour.

As you can tell I am a bit new and learning. But following the advise from blood sugar 101 and taking my BG at an hour and two hours, especially when I am trying something new.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
RamblinDad said:
I did something different and new for me for lunch today. I love sub sandwiches, well the bread poses a slight problem right? The sub place I go to just started a new low carb sub. Rather than using bread they will make which ever sandwich you want wrapped in Romain lettuce. I have to say it was dang tasty! The only draw back is the fact that the bread filled me up more, though now an hour and a half later I don't feel hungry. Not sure if this makes any sense to anyone my BG remained about the same with a little drop from 125 (6.9) to 122 (6.8). I'm gonna see where it is in at the two hour point, but before after a sub my BG was already climbing at one hour.

As you can tell I am a bit new and learning. But following the advise from blood sugar 101 and taking my BG at an hour and two hours, especially when I am trying something new.
I had a hamburger sandwich on romaine tonight with all the fixins. I wrap lots of things in romaine :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use romaine too - it's a nice big leaf & holds a lot of filling. There is just not a better sandwich than bacon, tomato & avocado rolled up in romaine!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I use romaine too - it's a nice big leaf & holds a lot of filling. There is just not a better sandwich than bacon, tomato & avocado rolled up in romaine!
ooooo, Shanny, that sounds really good! That's my lunch tomorrow!

Reactions: captain1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shanny said:
Wow that sounds so good! I have more to add to my grocery list that I am making up for my weekly shopping trip. :)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Diabetes Forum App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a Navy Submarine Veteran and once a month there is a Submarine Veterans group that gets together for lunch at various restaurants. Today was the day for this month and The Olive Garden was chosen. Ever tried to eat low carb in a place like the olive garden? Sheesh! :shocked:

I went with the soup, salad & bread sticks special and gave my bread sticks away (wow, you wanna talk about will power!). I stuck with the salad and soup. The only soup that wasn't potato or pasta ridden was the minestrone. Yes it had some pasta, which I left in the bowl as best as I could. I must have done something right because my two hour after eating stick was only 126, which is damn awesome for me, especially since I was high after breakfast. :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Just back from lunch at an Italian restaurant - not my choice! - where the group wanted to go. There was a salmon-stuffed sole on special - score! - that the chef assured had no bread crumbs. It didn't. Bloody hell but it was good. Sub'ed a salad for the pasta side w/ blue cheese dressing. Fasting bs was 95 and 2-hour PP 114. My KR is all screwed up for the day though - need to drink a pint of cream.

But ... I survived the Italian lunch!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I went with the soup, salad & bread sticks special and gave my bread sticks away (wow, you wanna talk about will power!). I stuck with the salad and soup. The only soup that wasn't potato or pasta ridden was the minestrone. Yes it had some pasta, which I left in the bowl as best as I could. I must have done something right because my two hour after eating stick was only 126, which is damn awesome for me, especially since I was high after breakfast. :)
Nice work, Dad - I'd forgotten their Zuppa Toscana had potatoes in it - it's a really tasty soup & full of sausage, but you'd just have to leave the spuds in the bowl too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The sub place I go to just started a new low carb sub. Rather than using bread they will make which ever sandwich you want wrapped in Romain lettuce.

Was that at Jimmy John's? I was in Omaha a month ago and we ate at Jimmy John's sub shop. I wasn't sure what I was going to eat there, but then saw they serve their subs in a lettuce wrap, if you want. I had one, it was quite good.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Shanny said:
Nice work, Dad - I'd forgotten their Zuppa Toscana had potatoes in it - it's a really tasty soup & full of sausage, but you'd just have to leave the spuds in the bowl too.
I'd be careful eating foods,like soups, cooking with potatoes or rice. A friend of mine made a shrimp boil a couple weeks ago and the only carb food in it was potatoes. I fished the spuds out of mine but still spiked over 40 points. There was no flour or anything else in it just the potatoes. I figure there was some sort of cross contamination with the starch.

Just my experience and maybe I'm extra sensitive to potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone

G

·
I'd be careful eating foods,like soups, cooking with potatoes or rice. A friend of mine made a shrimp boil a couple weeks ago and the only carb food in it was potatoes. I fished the spuds out of mine but still spiked over 40 points. There was no flour or anything else in it just the potatoes. I figure there was some sort of cross contamination with the starch.

Just my experience and maybe I'm extra sensitive to potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone
I recently ate at a restaurant that served the vegies with a sauce on them. When my plate arrived, I noticed the potatoes and put them aside. But I could still taste them in the sauce...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two eggs, two sausage links and a half slice of whole wheat toast. Bg was 101 before. Hit the gym for 30 minutes of lifting followed by 15 minute walk. Bg was 100 at two hours.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Spiked 8.2 3 hrs after a leisurely lunch out. Starter haloumi cheese with salsa in lettuce wrap. Salmon pasta and 2 slices pita bread with caramelised onion & moz cheese.

Had to have that pasta after seeing Pat had some. :D

201 - 220 of 538 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.