The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Rochelle? Are you having any success getting your blood sugar levels down? I'm puzzled at the meals you're eating, because they would send me over the moon.

You mentioned that you registered 13.5 after a glass of milk for breakfast the other day; I would think if milk sent you that high, you would also be getting spikes from all the toast, fruit/fruit juice, and now potato & ice cream.

As I understand it, you're on metformin and something like the sulfonylurea drug gliclazide - is that right? While I'm not a proponent of any of the sulfonylureas, even they can't overcome a diet high in carbs, and metformin surely can't. Have you done any research on a lower-carb way-of-eating?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I still eat the mini Magnums. I could give up most things happily but ice cream was the step too far. So with moderation I still partake!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rochelle? Are you having any success getting your blood sugar levels down? I'm puzzled at the meals you're eating, because they would send me over the moon.

You mentioned that you registered 13.5 after a glass of milk for breakfast the other day; I would think if milk sent you that high, you would also be getting spikes from all the toast, fruit/fruit juice, and now potato & ice cream.

As I understand it, you're on metformin and something like the sulfonylurea drug gliclazide - is that right? While I'm not a proponent of any of the sulfonylureas, even they can't overcome a diet high in carbs, and metformin surely can't. Have you done any research on a lower-carb way-of-eating?
I'm slowly getting my blood sugar levels down. They were 22 and now they 14 when I tested 30 minutes ago. I don't know they down because I just quitted smoking 3 days ago,I'm doing a grapefruit detox diet How to Quit Smoking in 7 Days | eHow.com. The toast I'm eating is wholemeal.

Yes I'm on metcromin, never heard of sulonylurea drug. No I haven't done any research on lower carb way of eating.I don't know where to start.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Do you take something like 'Diamicron MR 60mg'?

You can get started on low-carb by following this plan: LCHF for Beginners, and you'll have a lot more success getting your blood sugar down quickly. I commend you on quitting smoking too. It can't be easy to change two big issues at the same time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you take something like 'Diamicron MR 60mg'?

You can get started on low-carb by following this plan: LCHF for Beginners, and you'll have a lot more success getting your blood sugar down quickly. I commend you on quitting smoking too. It can't be easy to change two big issues at the same time!
Yeah I do take Diamicrom MR 60mg. I check ot LCHF for beginners.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Okay - it's the Diamicron that is a sulfonylurea drug and it damages the pancreas by forcing it to produce more and more insulin. Since you're insulin resistant, it's the metformin you need to help your body use the insulin that's already available. Forcing your pancreas to produce MORE insulin does nothing but cause it to wear out too soon, and once it dies, you're going to be insulin dependent and have to use injections. Best to dump the diamicron now while your pancreas can still make some of its own insulin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay - it's the Diamicron that is a sulfonylurea drug and it damages the pancreas by forcing it to produce more and more insulin. Since you're insulin resistant, it's the metformin you need to help your body use the insulin that's already available. Forcing your pancreas to produce MORE insulin does nothing but cause it to wear out too soon, and once it dies, you're going to be insulin dependent and have to use injections. Best to dump the diamicron now while your pancreas can still make some of its own insulin.
Should I stop it fully, or wait to see my GP in months time. I test just 10 minutes ago and it still 15. I take it at night-time before bed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Chicken avocado salad - romaine, tomato, green onion, black olives, kidney beans, cheese, sunflower seeds, avocado and chicken. Dressing is mayo, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper.

Reactions: VeeJay and Shanny

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Quick lasagne (sort of)*

Green olives stuffed with garlic, and marinated artichoke hearts (from Whole Foods)

Ginger Snappies (one of MCS's recipes)

* The bottom layer was sliced zucchini. A small, 6" zuck that I sliced lengthwise into four thin slices. I smothered them with olive oil and sprinkled with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Put them in the toaster oven at 400 and baked for about 10 minutes until they were softened - because they were uncovered they dried out a bit which was made for a perfect texture. I placed some mozzarelle cheese on top of the zuchs so it would melt while they were hot, transferred to a plate and poured some leftover spaghetti and meat sauce (hamburger and Italian sausage slices). Sprinkled the top with parmasan cheese.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Mashed califlower with cheddar, onion and bacon
Celery sticks dipped in homeade Thousand Islands dressing
Crackers (one of MCS's concotions)

--
I was going to make faux potato salad with the cauliflower, but ended up cooking it too long and when I went to squeeze the water out of it it sort of just mashed up. So, went for a hot dish - fried some bacon with chopped onion, crumbled the bacon and added it and the onion to the mash with a little grease from the pan (salt and pepper and garlic powder, too), stirred in several small pieces of cheddar. Put it all in the pan I fried the bacon in, and heated it up to make the cheddar melt.

Now, if I could have dairy (the cheddar was immitation cheese) I would have added sour cream probably. And if I could have egg, I'd might have added that to make "patties". But it was very good as it was.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Anybody for a fat fast today? This is the perfect way to do it!

Since OWC 'luxuriated' by sleeping in until 2pm today, I finally got him outta bed by tempting him with eggs benedict. As much as I love it, I didn't have any, but before too long I found myself sitting with him at the table, and dunking strips of bacon in the hollandaise sauce . . . oh lord - I've created a monster and the monster is me.

What is it Pogo used to say? We have met the enemy and he is us? ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
We are having Chili for lunch. I decided to try to make a beanless chili that would be ketogenic.

Chili:
3oz ground beef
1/2 small onion diced
1 C sliced mushrooms, diced
1/2 C canned no salt diced tomatos
2T coconut oil
chili powder to taste

The coconut oil made the chili a rather oily goo, so I added about 8 pork rinds crushed to powder. The pork rinds also helped fix the ketogenic ratio.
Chili alone: Calories 641, Fat 48g, Carb 17g, Protein 39g, KR 1.4

Since the protein/fat ratio was off and KR was a little low, I added 2 T of guacamole dip to my chili.
+130 calories 13g fat, 2 carb.

The flavor was resonable, the chili was much oilier than I am used to, Mushrooms made a reasonable substitute for beans.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I ended up feeling somewhat ill this afternoon, I don't know if it was the super oily meal or a false low feeling because my afternoon glucose reading was lower than usual for me.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Sounds like a good way, but I'd leave out the CO and maybe cut the onion a bit. Hope you try it again to see how it does then. Maybe have a square of CO fudge for dessert?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow, you guys eat really good things for lunch :p

Today I had a can of vegetable soup. It was quite tasty and I added about a tablespoon of chia seeds to it. I'm trying to get my digestive system and intestinal system back to normal. Ever since I had that small bout with the stomach virus almost 2 months ago, my system has been off and I'm so tired of dealing with feeling bloated, growly, gurgly sounds in my guts, and feeling like I always have to use the restroom. ENOUGH I tell you! I've doubled up my probiotic and began using chia seeds again to help get things in order again. The chia seeds are very high fiber, so I'm only doing a tablespoon a day right now. Too much at once will have me in the restroom forever, and it also creates quite a bit of flatulence. That can make it unfortunate for anyone who happens to be around me :eek:

So, it's been handful of almonds for breakfast, and a can of either veggie soup or chicken soup with chia seeds this week. Hope I feel better next week. Just really tired of dealing with one discomfort or another. Aging really stinks sometimes :(

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I made a huge pot of onion soup and had a bowl of it with cottage cheese. It was wonderful! 120 at one hour. I had never tried onion soup, so I tested and it looks like it is okay with my meter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Salad-
Iceberg lettuce
Mushrooms
Green peppers
Red Peppers
Hard-boiled Egg
Thousand Island Dressing

Reactions: Carolina
261 - 280 of 538 Posts