Registered
733 Posts
Avocado and Egg "Smash".

2 cold boiled eggs
1/2 avocado
red pepper sliced(capsicum)
baby spinach leaves
red onion

Add low carb garlic dressing and 'smash' everything together with salt and pepper. Then crumble crispy bacon bits on top.

It was so good!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Parmasan crusted chicken breast , green beans and a salad with homemade vinergrette. Not what I was craving but filled the void until dinner I guess.

·
Registered
341 Posts
More chicken , Cajun Blackened today and baked potato skin stuffed with cheese and bacon ; and I do mean skin , just a shell to hold bacon and cheese. Steamed broccli with butter and garlic.

Can't wait for dinner tonight! Steak over the wood fire for a change.
Any more chicken and i'll have feathers.

·
hans
1,548 Posts
Today driving to Lund in pouring rain. Had a Greek salad at the library cafe including a sandwich (bun). Usually only served a very tiny piece of bread - perhaps 5 g of carbs. Well, had the salad and could not resist the bun. 6.4 after 50 minutes and a low 4.3 after 1.5 hour.

I really like the cafe. Reading newspapers and today also watching live downhill from Austria on my smartphone. Easy to follow although the sound was off. Remember in the 50´s when you only listened to the radio on one public channel.

Internet has really meant a major change in terms of exchange of information. If I had my diagnosis lets say 10 years ago I´d probably had followed the recommendations from the health care authorities having a low fat high carb diet resulting in much higher sugar levels and lots of medicine. But I suppose most diabetics all over the world still follow these recommendations and that´s sad. Just hoping for a final breakthrough, a paradigm shift in diabetes care.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I had a clove of garlic finely chopped and fried in butter till golden. More garlic and a Southwestern rub with salt and pepper kneaded into a ground beef paddy, then fried in butter and covered with cheddar cheese.

I tested before and got 67. My no carb breakfast was 2 eggs and a ground beef paddy 5 hours ago. No snacks. 81 fasting this AM.

I've eaten little meat, hardly any beef and little fat for years. All I got to show for it was weight at the very high end of "normal", always feeling bloated, always hungry, and an above normal BG.

Ah.... it feels good to eat healthy again. No bloating, not hungry all the time, controlled BG, loosing fat around the middle and dropping some lbs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I made some soup from the leftover ham on the bone from Christmas.i bunged the whole lot into the slow cooker and let her go for 10 hours.
ham on the bone
onion
celery
green beans
broccoli
coliflower
pumpkin
black pepper
not as good as the old pea and ham soup but very tasty indeed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good to hear it is working for you nick , keep up the good work

Radar, pea soup is one of my favorites , actually can't stand peas but could eat pea soup until I turn green , go figure.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I'm the opposite - I can't stand pea soup but could (past tense) eat peas until I went green. However, that's now a thing of the past. Small portions only these days :(

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Ahh, peas. They were one of my pre-d favorites, slathered in butter and salt. Now they're happily resting in the 'foods of days gone by' resting place, right next to my beloved corn. :violin:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Radar, it's great to read of a hearty soup on the menu. In fact it's nice to see a great list of veggies being eaten. I am still adjusting to what I should and shouldn't eat and know that I would really struggle if all I ate was meat, eggs and cheese. While I will have to modify some of my homemade soups (no barley or pasta, less carrot and corn) in winter; I can still see that there are great possibilities. Same with salads in summer - little or no rice, potato, pasta salads but I can still make a great tossed salad to go with the meat, eggs and cheese.
Thanks to everyone for sharing the highs and lows of their stories. It was my first day back at work today after 2 and a half weeks. Several people noticed some weight loss and I was able to share some of what I have learnt in here - explaining my understanding of LCHF. Some even admitted that it made some sense.
Hope I haven't gone too far off topic in this thread!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It's early days for you yet Sandra - you will soon learn that there is such a plethora of foods that we can eat that you will have trouble deciding what to choose.

Lovely that some noticed your weight loss - just wait, you'll lose more!

Good to hear that you're spreading the word.

Cheers, Freya

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We eat very hearty here, and salads/soups are part of that heartiness. The brassicas are great in salads - cabbage is normally really easy on blood sugar, and broccoli/cauliflower are pillars of our way-of-eating. Just search the recipes board for salads.

Here's a thread of particularly popular soups: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/25097-soup-recipes.html

And as you search the recipe board, I think you'll be surprised at what delicious and satiating meals we eat on LCHF.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I was really in the mood for spicy Mexican so I made my own low carb version of a chili verde plate. I cut some small cauliflower florets and steamed them. Next was some chunks of left over pork roast. Put both on a plate and nuked on low for a minute or so, then smothered in canned green enchalada sauce and covered in cheddar, more nuke till hot and cheese melted. Very good, filling, spicy and very low carb.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had 2 hamburger patties with cheese wrapped in lettuce (thank you 5 guys!) bt could only eat 3/4 (1 and barely a half patty), and a chef salad with garbanzo beans, lettuce, carrot and cucumber slathered in Olive Oil. How am I doing on the high fat now?!

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Good on the fat - watch out for the carrots and beans. Replace the beans with some nuts to increase the fat even more, and perhaps a few olives or a bit of extra cheese in place of the beans. Just some friendly ideas for you. :)

401 - 420 of 538 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.